Lakeritz

Home Forums Open forum Lakeritz

Tagged: 

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  lakreitz 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Cate
    Participant

Since we can no longer access the old MB forum, I can’t get to your bagel recipe! Would you mind reposting it? It’s great.

Allison W
    Participant

Cate, if you want to send it to me, and she is ok with it, I can put it on my recipe blog where it can be preserved indefinitely.

lakreitz
    Participant

The recipe is from Peter Reinhart taken from the Bread Bakers’s Apprentice. Various bakers have posted their versions of it on blogs, etc but I could not find it in its entirety like I did the last time bagels were discussed. This version is pretty close. I added the ingredient weights because I remembered you are a baker who appreciates them. I’ll post in a second reply. Alli – go ahead and put it on your blog if you’d like as credited above.
    As for ingredients, my malt powder was past its prime and I tossed it. Last night I found malt syrup at Ballard Market.

lakreitz
    Participant

Bagels
    Recipe
    Makes 1 dozen bagels – (I usually make 16 – easier to divide& better size, but 24 are cute)
    Sponge:
    1 teaspoon instant yeast .11 oz
    4 cups bread flour – 18 oz – 510 g
    2 1/2 cups water – 20 oz – 568 g
    Dough:
    1/2 teaspoon instant yeast – .055 oz
    3 3/4 cups bread flour – 17 oz – 482 gr
    2 3/4 teaspoons salt – .7 oz – 18 gr
    2 teaspoons malt powder – 6 g
    OR
    1 tablespoon malt syrup, honey, or brown sugar
    Finishing touches:
    1 tablespoon baking soda for the water
    Cornmeal for dusting the pan
    Toppings for the bagels such as seeds, salt, onion, or garlic
    Make the Sponge -The Night Before
    Stir the yeast into the flour in a large mixing bowl. Add the water and stir until all ingredients are blended. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise for two hours. The mixture will be foamy & bubbly like pancake batter. It should double in size, and collapse when tapped on counter
    Make the Dough
    Remove the plastic wrap and stir the additional yeast into the sponge. Add 3 cups of the flour, the malt powder (the one unusual ingredient, which I was able to find at the local health food store), and the salt into the bowl and mix until all of the ingredients form a ball. You need to work in the additional 3/4 cups of flour to stiffen the dough, either while still mixing in the bowl or while kneading. The dough should be stiffer and drier than normal bread dough, but moist enough that all of the ingredients are well blended.
    Pour the dough out of the bowl onto a clean surface and knead for 10 minutes. The dough should pass window pane test and register 77 to 81 degrees. The dough should be satiny and pliable – not tacky or stiff.
    Immediately after kneading, split the dough into a dozen small pieces around 4 1/2 ounces each.(I make 16 – around 90 gr each) Roll each piece into a ball and set it aside. When you have all 12 (16) pieces made, cover them with a damp towel and let them rest for 20 minutes.
    Shaping the bagel is a snap: punch your thumb through the center of each roll and then rotate the dough, working it so that the bagel is as even in width as possible.
    Place the shaped bagels on two (or three) lined halfsheet pans, with an inch or so of space between one another (use two pans, if you need to). If you have parchment paper, line the sheet pan with parchment and spray it lightly with oil before placing the bagels on the pan. Cover the pan with plastic (I put mine into a small plastic garbage bag) and allow the dough to rise for about 20 minutes.
    The suggested method of testing whether the bagels are ready to retard is by dropping one of them into a bowl of cool water: if the bagel floats back up to the surface in under ten seconds it is ready to retard. If not, pat dry and let rise more.
    Baking Day

Preheat the oven to 500. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Adding one tablespoon of baking soda to the pot to alkalize the water is suggested to replicate traditional bagel shop flavor. (I use two large pots of water so that I can get through the boil process faster and get into the oven faster)

When the pot is boiling, drop a few of the bagels into the pot one at a time and let them boil for a minute. Use a large, slotted spoon or spatula to gently flip them over and boil them on the other side.
    . Remove them one at a time, set them back onto the sheet pan, and top them right away, while they are still slightly moist. Repeat this process until all of the bagels have been boiled and topped.
    Once they have been topped, place the sheet pan into the preheated oven and bake for 5 minutes. Reduce the heat to 450 degrees, rotate the pan, and bake for another 5 minutes until the bagels begin to brown. Remove the pan from the oven and let cool for as long as you can

Cate
    Participant

Thank you! Yes, Ali – if you put it on your blog I’ll know where to find it next time I lose it. ;)

lakreitz
    Participant

Just ran across this posted by Peter Reinhart at epicurious. The recipe he gives here is for a smaller quantity of finished product. And……he gives the recipe for cinnamon raisin variation which is awesome.

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/howtocook/primers/bagels-recipe

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.