Locked-up Booze

Home Forums Open forum Locked-up Booze

This topic contains 23 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Cate 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

great idea
    Participant

I was in the QFC on 24th today and it looks like they’ve finally cordoned-off the hard liquor area. there was a little gate on both sides of the aisle with a sign saying you must ring a bell to have an employee grant you access.
    there were also two old guys who were confused and then grumbling about the situation.

I was in the crown hill safeway on 85th earlier this week, and I think they’ve also moved their booze. I wasn’t looking to buy any but noticed it wasn’t in the normal area it had been in previously.

this heightened security makes me wonder if the liquor authority finally went after these big stores that were seemingly allowing it to happen.

Edog
    Participant

Pish posh! They started this practice before Saint Patrick’s Day you Johnny come lately. Oh well, I guess you’ll be dry tonight. What will you do with that big overcoat you used to take to QFC?

great idea
    Participant

seriously? that’s only two weeks.
    I hadn’t seen anything on this blog, which I would’ve expected.

and why would I be dry? do you think I was afraid to ring that little bell?
    I am so surreptitious, I can distract the Q-girl while I shovel those fifths up my sleeves!

AprilJoy Greenwell
    Participant

Safeway on 15th & Market was moving supply this weekend and the security guard said they are planning to lock it up. I was told Ballard High School kids had been loading up their empty backpacks with booze, walking out with it, then selling the booze to club owners. I also heard Safeway was losing customers because the people who would hang out in the parking garage were scaring people away. I was told this in the same conversation about the booze being locked up but didn’t catch if there was a direct connection.

I honestly and truly wish we had kept state stores.

great idea
    Participant

what about the hillbilly QFC on Holman?

have they TCB or is moonshine still being purloined by the locals?

Edog
    Participant

Well in that case Great Idea, quit yer Putin and start yer drinkin.

Cate
    Participant

I agree April Joy. And having the state stores would have solved the pot distribution problem. One stop shopping. Oh well, an opportunity lost.

Mondoman
    Participant

OMG, the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” folks were right! Could this be the metal pipe in the path of Seattle’s Big Bertha progressivism? :)

I’m glad to hear about the locking-up.

cdpenne
    Participant

It’s about time they locked up the boobze, sheesh!

lakreitz
    Participant

TCB? please define GI.

great idea
    Participant

Mondoman
    Participant

They’re not going to let it ride? I guess we ain’t seen nothing yet. Good thing it’s not fragile — time to just roll on down the highway…

lakreitz
    Participant

I’ll need (not want) hillbilly hooch if I had to hear that again!

For reasons I don’t quite understand,several days ago I thought about the jukebox in cafeteria at my high school. There was a girl in the class ahead of me with an unlimited source of change who loved “Black Water’ by the Doobie Bros and TCB. For two years, these were in heavy rotation for me the cafeteria. Seriously, I hadn’t given these earworms a thought in years.

great idea
    Participant

well done, Mondo!

lakreitz
    Participant

yeah, mondo FTW

Allison W
    Participant

I told you guys this privatization thing was gonna bite us in the ass!

Bean Dogger
    Participant

Maybe QFC and Safeway should send the bill for extra security to COSTCO. COSTCO spent millions campaigning to end the state run liquor stores with promises of no increased problems of hard liquor available in more locations. Also, the price would be lower! What a croc-of-sh..!

Ernie
    Participant

Bean Dogger, nobody is forcing QFC and Safeway to sell liquor, those stores like Ballard Market that choose not to don’t have to deal with the security issues. Stores that choose to make money off liquor sales will have to employ some means to secure the booze.

I happened to buy a bottle at the 24th QFC last night, found the cage locked, asked a nearby employee if I could get in, she opened the gate, I got my whiskey, and all was good. It hardly felt like I had been bitten in the ass.

Nora Bell
    Participant

The Safeway on 85th and Greenwood started doing that, and it hasn’t been a big deal. There is always someone to open it up lickety split. Frankly, I don’t know why the stores didn’t do it this way from the beginning.

Cate
    Participant

Most places have cigarettes behind the counter to control access to minors. It seems pretty commonsense that they would do the same for booze. (Of course then the argument could be made that they should lock-up beer and wine…)

plasticbags
    Participant

I don’t think eliminating state-run liquor stores is responsible for these big chains using no common sense. There are plenty of other states that have grocery stores successfully selling liquor without being giant noobs about it. I wonder how much money they could have saved if they’d just invested in a way to lock up the liquor from the beginning?

Rudy
    Participant

Ernie +1

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

love it Mondo +1

for for common sense I remember what my grandfather always told me “common sense isn’t that common” you’d think the stores would have locked it up from the start but instead they were do busy clearing out aisles and moving things around to cash in on the demand for booze. sure the old system wasn’t perfect but what Lola wants, Lola gets ;)

Cate
    Participant

Of topic a bit but Colorado passed a legalized marijuana law the same day WA did and they are already getting millions in tax revenue from it. Meanwhile we are fartzing around with getting a distribution system and regulated growers and what not. It could have been so simple, we had a distribution system till it got dismantled.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.