meanwhile, over in Wallingford…

Home Forums Open forum meanwhile, over in Wallingford…

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  JM98107 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Angeline
    Participant

Any Hope for the Bittman House at 4625 Eastern Ave N?

This historic house is for sale. As one of the commenters says, we could use a local rich person to take this on. Dave Matthews? Tom Douglas? Maybe we don’t have to look quite that high. At 1.8 million it’s actually not crazy-out-of-line with other houses around here. Perfectly ordinary, but new and not in need of major work, houses are going for 1.2 million.

I’m really sad I missed the estate sale.

PlantLover
    Participant

What an interesting story, Angeline! The comments were very interesting. That great room looks amazing and the gardens sound wonderful. I do hope the neighbor that is trying to buy it prevails. It does look like it will take A LOT of money to fix it up, but wow! if it is done properly it could be amazing. I am bummed I missed the estate sale too!

Marigold
    Participant

Angeline
    Participant

Really makes me wonder what other local houses might hide a really superb interior. I live in a house of roughly the same era, not that much smaller, and while it’s a very pleasant house that was originally built for a prominent local attorney, it is perfectly ordinary inside.

PlantLover
    Participant

It looks so much nicer staged than in the photos from the estate sale, with stuff everywhere. From those photos I thought it needed tons of work. Now I just think it is lots. Doable.

It was common in those times to make the entertaining rooms over the top and the living space for the family plainer. My current house is from 1928 and it is like that, though the previous owner updated the master suite to be pretty nice.

JM98107
    Participant

I went to the estate sale and it was fun. But since the rise of eBay, it has increased the gawkers and competition enormously at all the local sales.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Open forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Advertisement