Mice Control?

Home Forums Open forum Mice Control?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Clamster 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
  • #69468

    Sunset Hill David

    My tenant in my basement apartment is being plagued by mice eating food, chewing on clothing, etc. I have tried traps without success. I have cats upstairs which seem to keep my place safe, but she doesn’t downstairs. Any suggestions? I would be willing to hire somebody, but I find the exterminators around here somewhat sketchy.



    First, find a friend with a ferret. Take the ferret some old towels to sleep on. Remove towels after a few days and scatter liberally around apartment. Ferrets have a very strong odor that strikes terror into the hearts of rodents. Safe, clean, cheap, humane. Or, you could get a cat.



    Are you sure it’s mice and not rats? I did a little Google searching and found several very inexpensive no-kill mouse traps that will catch multiple mice (up to 30) in one trap, and then you can set them free for the owls to eat. (Just make sure you release them far away and block up their entrances to your house.) I’ve posted some links below for some of these traps and a home-made one that’s amusing. There are also reusable electronic kill traps but they are very expensive. Whatever you decide, don’t use poison! That’s the worst thing because you will then have a toxic substance in your house, the rodents will often die inside the walls/ceilings which is very smelly and then you’ll have to tear out the walls, etc. And, if a cat or dog happens to have contact with a poisoned rodent, they may also get sick or die. If it’s mice, I’d try one of these no-kill multi-mouse traps. Use a bait they like. Apparently they love freshly baked goods, bread, muffins, peanut butter, raisins. I’d try some bread or something not too messy, maybe some teeny tiny sandwiches with peanut butter and raisins inside. ;-) Here’s some links:





    Sunset Hill David

    That sounds very interesting. I’ll check into it. I thought they were rats at first, but they were able to get the bait in a rat trap without setting it off and the droppings are very small.

    Yes, cats are the easiest thing (or ferrets), and I’ll try to get my cats to go downstairs more often.



    First, there are so many mice/rats around that the first thing you need to do is to secure the food source(s) they’ve been eating. Put things in plastic/metal/wood containers, not paper/cardboard/bags, as those just polish up their teeth as they chew through!

    Second, they really like to run along walls, especially behind things, as it keeps them at least partially hidden and physically protected, so that’s where to put the traps! I find the traditional wood spring snap traps work well — as Clamster said, no poisons. The snap traps rely on tugging or pressing to set them off, so bait them with a solidish food that requires the mouse to bite into it, not just lick it off.

    If they’re running behind appliances or along the backs of shelves, those can be good places for traps. Use lots of traps — I’d put out a dozen, and have more to replace the used ones. Typical litter size for mice is 10-12, and it’s roughly a 60-day cycle (20 days pregnancy, 20 days to weaning, 20 days to sexual maturity). You’ll catch the young, inexperienced ones first, but you’ve got to keep up the trapping for a couple of weeks to get the adults, too, or you’ll just be back where you started in a month or two.

    Finally, don’t forget to clean up the droppings and urine trails — those smells definitely make them feel “at home”.



    great idea

    if it’s made by Victor, they certainly know what they’re doing.

    I like this factoid: “Kills 100 mice per each per set of 4AA batteries (not included)”

    interesting company history:



    “Apparently they love freshly baked goods, bread, muffins, peanut butter, raisins. I’d try some bread or something not too messy, maybe some teeny tiny sandwiches with peanut butter and raisins inside. ;-)”

    This may be my favorite line I’ve ever read on this forum.


    Smells Fishy

    For $1900 per month you too can live with mice and serve them PBJ Canapés!



    Well, once we thought we had mice because we spotted the little guys in the closet of our co-op preschool. The exterminator kindly informed us that we had “juvenile rats.”

    If you trap the animals, personally I think you should kill them. Relocating them probably just consigns them to a painful death as prey in an unfamiliar area since their normal range is quite limited. My neighbor uses snap traps for rats. He nailed the traps to a heavier board to make sure the snap would break their necks, after a bad experience where the snap caused the board to jump, so the rat was injured and trapped, but not dead, and my neighbor had to do the killing. Ick.

    If you don’t want to deal with the rodents yourself, we had a good experience with A Wildlife Pro http://www.seattlepestanimalcontrol.com/ when we had raccoons in our attic. It was not inexpensive, but they got the raccoons out.

    I’m in the market for a company that keeps traps around your property. Waiting for callbacks from several, but would love a recommendation. We don’t have indoor rats, but so many outdoors that we are seeing them in daytime. I’m pretty live-and-let-live with animals that live outdoors, but when there are so many it’s only a matter of time before one gets the bright idea to move into the house.



    The electronic traps supposedly kill more quickly and humanely. Victor makes a multiple mouse electronic trap but it’s around $89. Years ago I was living in an old house where rats got in. A guy from the health department came out (back in the olden days when they did that), told us exactly where to put the trap, what to use as bait and the time at which the rat would come out. He was right within about 20 minutes but the snap trap did not immediately kill the rat and my housemate unfortunately had to finish the task. I figure if a mouse or rat is meant to live it’ll do ok out in nature and if not then it’ll help another creature to live.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘Open forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.