Music like 103.7 The Mountain?

Home Forums Open forum Music like 103.7 The Mountain?

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  lakreitz 5 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

RedPanda
    Participant

Driving through Portland recently I heard their radio station KINK, which is pretty much the same format as Seattle’s now-defunct The Mountain. I really enjoy “coffeehouse rock” and adult album alternative (that’s what the marketing segment is called apparently). But I don’t know how to hear new music of this genre anymore. What does one do to solve this problem? I don’t know much about HD radio, subscription radio, etc. Or do you just go onto Pandora and find some streaming music channels that are close to what you want? Would love to hear how others are hearing new music these days. The oldies stations (I guess 70s and 80s is now considered “oldies”) are just driving me nuts with repetition.

Thanks!

phoo
    Participant

I can’t speak to that sort of music, because it’s not what I listen to. But I considered getting an HD radio once. Unfortunately, it’s a compressed stream – sort of like an mp3 is a compressed music format. This means the quality is not as good, so I decided not to spend money on it. However, everyone’s ears are different and it might be just fine for you. I was originally considering it because there are more channels, even by the same station.

I once rented a car that had (I think) XM in it. It was nice, but I’m a cheapskate and don’t like to pay every month for the radio. There were a ton of stations and I never had a problem finding something I was in the mood for. Perhaps I would reconsider if I tended to do long road trips frequently and my car already had XM capabilities. My commute is currently 45-60 minutes and it is still not worth it to me. I have plenty of CDs.

I’ve listened to Pandora – I’m on and off about it. Something I don’t like is when I tune to a station specifically to hear one artist’s work, it plays all this other stuff that may not be related to that band at all. If I was looking for new artists, I’d have tuned into a more generic station.

GAM
    Participant

KINK has the same program director as The Mountain had, so it is very much a continuation of what The Mountain was in its heyday.

I usually find streaming versions of the stations I’m interested either through iTunes (and, yes, this can be done on a PC) or the station’s website. I haven’t tracked this one down yet (though I’ve been meaning to), so I don’t have any handy links to offer.

Pandora is fine for what it is: computer algorithms. I still prefer the human touch of a program director a la KINK FM.

When I’m bored, I go to iTunes and find a new station in some far flung place. Some I stick with, most I don’t.

Last I checked, even though 103.7 has changed formats, they were still streaming the Mountain Music Lounge archives on their site, and I think had a web only station of robo-programed Mountain style music.

RedPanda
    Participant

Phoo, you put your finger on why I haven’t raced to find out much about the other options; I sensed that they are rather problematic. GAM, I noticed that about Chris Mays, the program director at KINK. I even emailed her same question as I posted; let’s see if she responds! Good to know about the still-streaming music on the Mountain website. I figured if they were streaming anything it would be the new ick they switched to. Will go check it out. The car is where I listen to 99% of my radio, so for now I just stick to NPR mostly….

phoo
    Participant

I don’t know if you have a modern stereo or not, but if you have an input jack, you might consider downloading podcasts and playing them during your commute. Or if you don’t have one, maybe it would be worth considering getting one. Even if you found the radio station you like, more options wouldn’t be bad. I’ve considered this as well, though I keep my car outside so anything new would have to look like the old default stereo that disinterests thieves.

great idea
    Participant

at that point you might as well listen to your ipod with only the right earplug in.

RedPanda
    Participant

It is amazing how little music I listen to simply because the radio has changed so much. I guess I need to investigate podcasts… I really haven’t caught up with them. I’m not tech challenged so much as bothered by extra effort… I spend so much time on the computer for my job (8-10 hours a day), I can’t picture spending more time looking for the right music online!

earldanger
    Participant

A little off topic, but they make little bluetooth receivers that you can sync your iPhone/iPod with in the car. The sound routes through your car speakers. I bought one for my husband for our older car that doesn’t have bluetooth and I didn’t want to change the dash with a new deck with an input jack. Works fantastic, and also streams calls! And you can move from car to car if you have multiple, sell one, etc. Anyway just a thought. Amazon sells a bunch of them. Then you can listen to any radio you want as long as you have cell service.

lakreitz
    Participant

KEXP 90.3. You can stream it, which I do. Lots of live performances, podcasts

lakreitz
    Participant

On a somewhat unrelated note. Boston (the 70’s band) is touring and sold out their Chateau Ste. Michelle. Tix were $70-$100. I am deeply ashamed of my age cohort.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.