My car was stolen an hour ago 9&63

Home Forums Open forum My car was stolen an hour ago 9&63

This topic contains 20 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Mondoman 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Sunshine’s nice
    Participant

Green Subaru Wagon taken right in front of the house… 96 Legacy

Oly
    Participant

No worries, as I understand the stolen car situation in North Seattle, Subarus are the favored transportation of the criminal set. There are easy to steal and cheaper than a cab and usually show up somewhere after the thieves get where they are going.

msballard30
    Participant

My neighbors’ Subaru wagon was stolen a few weeks ago from in front of their house and it turned up the next day a few blocks away near Adams Elementary. The police apparently told the neighbors pretty much what Floyd said above – drug dealers steal Subarus, do their deals and then dump the cars.

Hopefully you’ll get yours back soon.

Cate
    Participant

I’m missing something. Why does a drug dealer prefer a Subaru to a Ford or a Honda? If you are not going to actually drive it around much, what difference does it make?

Ernie
    Participant

There must be something about Subarus that make them easier to steal. Thieves tend to stick to the models that they are familiar with.

Miss Wahoo
    Participant

IIRC, the officer responding to MY stolen Subie report told me that when it came to car thefts in our area, older Hondas edged out older Subarus. But only barely. I wish I could remember exactly what he told me, but I vaguely recall it having something to do with how easy the steering column and ignition were to compromise?

Of the 100-something cars my thief stole, I believe at least 30 of them were Subies.

greenwoodjon
    Participant

These model and vintage cars have no “chip” implanted in the ignition/door key. Therefore thieves can fashion what is termed a “shaved” key which can easily open a door or turn on the ignition switch with just a few moments of jiggling the doctored key. No need for them to use a slim jim for door entry or break your ignition open to hot wire. I witnessed the entire procedure on my neighbor’s security camera the following day as the thief spent a total of under three minutes engaging in the process of entering and driving away with my 1990 Subaru at 2:00 AM. Of course the footage was of no value to the police since the perp was hoodied up and unidentifiable. The car was recovered two weeks later in a nearby neighborhood after parking enforcement had literally plastered it with tire marks and the dreaded orange sticker. The thief had put on just about 30 miles. I thought our police and parking enforcement were negligent in not checking their stolen car list right away rather than let it sit and bombard it with parking violation notices. They were indifferent to my take of their procedures.

Life is amazing
    Participant

Hmmmm I should stop being lazy and put the steering wheel lock on Groobe my Sube (gotta give Ballardo credit for her name)

Life is amazing
    Participant

It sounds like you got it back?

Crownhiller
    Participant

Funny LIA, I was having the exact same thought about our Subaru and steering wheel lock ;o)

Mondoman
    Participant

There are also aspects to the door design that make it easy to get in even without a key.
    gwj – interesting info. I totally agree about checking the stolen car lists. I suppose the PD will say that’s why they need the fancy Eye of Sauron license-plate scanners for their police cars.

greenwoodjon
    Participant

Yes, I got the car back but it sat in the same spot for just over two weeks before getting a call from SPD.

Mondo, SPD patrol cars are equipped with every piece of high tech stuff that taxpayer money can buy. However, Parking Enforcement is a totally separate entity without any of that stuff (other than a simple two way radio) and their communication level with SPD is virtually nil as well. So Parking is either too lazy or too stupid to find out if a car that has been reported by a neighborhood resident is stolen. Logic says to me that such an inquiry would be one of the first steps instead of chalking the tires for two weeks and then slapping a tow notice on the windshield. After discussions with a couple of the mid level bureaucrats in their department, one allowed as to how that might be something worthy of consideration. He stated, however, that every enforcement officer conducts their duties differently! I was astonished, there is no protocol or guidelines, I inquired? He said there was not. Just unbelievable.

LIA, a steering wheel “club” is a good idea. Although they can be overcome by an industrious thief, the great majority of them are lazy and not willing to do more than the minimum required to steal your car. Seeing a club will generally make them keep looking for a car without such an impediment.

Angeline
    Participant

That is unbelievable, but I believe it because our old address was a dumping ground for stolen cars. Many people got their cars back a bit earlier because we’d wonder “who the heck is parked in front of our house for a solid week?”

Sunshine’s nice
    Participant

I see another white subie was taken off our street last week. I guess 63rd is hot for old Subies…. bummer for the guy who just lost this one, it’s a white one with out of state plates. He was just visiting. Welcome to Ballard no doubt.

phoo
    Participant

LIA: Use a gas or clutch lock. The steering lock is a nice visual deterrent, but it’s the gas lock that will really prevent the car from going anywhere. Maybe do both, so the potential thief can see you’re serious right off the bat? Then again, messing with one thing is better than messing with two things every time you enter or exit the vehicle.

Oly
    Participant

If they finished the BG trail we could all ride bikes. Then car thefts would disappear like the passing rainbows. Lets hold hands and sing Kumbaya.

great idea
    Participant

“…drug dealers steal Subarus, do their deals and then dump the cars.”

that makes no sense to me.
    so the drug dealer does not want to be in his/her own vehicle– I get that.

but to go and commit another (fairly serious) crime, just to provide a cover? no way.

those cars are stolen by doped-up kids looking to have fun. that’s why they call it “joy-riding”, right?

Mondoman
    Participant

Not sure “Subaru” equals “joy”. They should be stealing VWs instead for the Fahrvergnuegen.

Oly
    Participant

One of the cops that patrol Ballard told me most of the stolen cars in Ballard are used for transportation for the night. Lyft for criminals.

Ernie
    Participant

They should be stealing VWs instead for the Fahrvergnuegen.

That would be the case except that VW’s have had an “immobilizer” with a chipped key since at least the late 90’s, so they aren’t easy to steal…like Subarus.

Mondoman
    Participant

Lyft for criminals.

They need big Lyft-like mustaches on the front so we can spot the criminals joyriding their stolen cars. Maybe green ones instead of pink?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.