Need a Witness for Man Run Into My Van

Home Forums Open forum Need a Witness for Man Run Into My Van

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Oly 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Sandy Bucher
    Participant

On Thursday May 29, 2014 around 4:30 in the afternoon I was driving my dark grey VW Westy van across the Ballard Bridge heading south. Just as I reached the end of the bridge I heard something hit my van. A man ran into my van. He was wearing yellow coat. He fell after hitting me and then got up, waived he was OK, and then continued running across from west to east.

I pulled over and called 911. I was very flustered and I did not get any names of any witnesses. I did talk to a man in a black sedan who was heading norht. I would like to find any witnesses to this accident. If you remember seeing this,

Cate
    Participant

Not a man inside a car running into you but a runner/jogger running into you? How crazy. I hope they are not holding you responsible.

great idea
    Participant

I’m not sure how you would not have seen the man before hitting him. that sidewalk is pretty narrow, unless he was hiding behind the guard-rail or something.

anyway, good luck finding a witness almost a month after the fact.

Mondoman
    Participant

gi, the OP wrote that the man *hit her*, not vice versa. Presumably she’s looking for the man in the black sedan.

I would think any pedestrian trying to cross 15th there, instead of going under the bridge or over the pedestrian bridge a bit further south, must love danger!

great idea
    Participant

it sounds like she already talked to the man in the dark sedan and was looking for other witnesses.

I realize the man ran (walked?) into the van; my point was that the sidewalk is so narrow that I would think you’d see a pedestrian (wearing a yellow coat) near the side of the road before the event would happen. he could obviously still run into the van, but he should’ve been visible beforehand (and remove any mystery from the sound of something hitting side of van).

I agree it’s a death-wish crossing 15th, yet I see folks do it all the time (especially a bit farther south where there is a median).

phoo
    Participant

Gi, when I read what you wrote, I felt that assumed the person was behaving as a sane person. We don’t know that the person was sober. We don’t know they were walking on the sidewalk, as opposed to meandering in the street, and it’s possible to run into a van without the van seeing you first (if approached from the middle or back). What is more difficult is for YOU not to see the big ol’ van in front of YOU, which makes me NOT assume the person was sober. I’m not assuming they were not, but there was definitely some sort of extenuating circumstance. And if she suddenly pulled in front of him and cut him off just as he was sanely crossing, wouldn’t he be pissed instead of waving it off?

BTW, there is a group of homeless people that hang out under the bridge there. It’s possible a witness could be found there, in fact you might find the man who bumped into you there.

Sandy Bucher
    Participant

I was in the center lane so cars were on my right side buzzing by. I did NOT see him because he did not run out in my lane first and he did not run out in front of me. He missed getting hit in the first lane. He hit me from the side. It was crazy because with as bright of a yellow coat he had on, if he would of ran in front of me of would of seen him.

What was disheartening is the police officer that came after I called 911 did not seem to care that a man may be laying down on the east side of the bridge hurt. I told him someone needed to go check.

great idea
    Participant

thank you for the clarification.

I was in no way insinuating any fault on your side. I’m sorry you had to go through that.

I do think it’s a stretch to wait so long though.
    I barely remember if I hit anyone last week.

Oly
    Participant

Why would the cops need to check on him? You said “He fell after hitting me and then got up, waived he was OK, and then continued running across from west to east.”

great idea
    Participant

since you say “waived” it makes me wonder if he signed some sort of agreement absolving any blame.

Mondoman
    Participant

And PG was just saying that nothing interesting gets posted here anymore. Perhaps we should wave her over?

teigyr
    Participant

Or else waive her over :) And yeah, been boring as heck.

phoo
    Participant

Floyd: Just because someone gets up and waves, it doesn’t mean they haven’t suffered an injury that won’t show up until later that day or even the next morning. In fact, if he was on a substance that has anesthetizing qualities, that could very easily happen.

BTW, that “boring” is normal conversation taking place.

Oly
    Participant

“He fell after hitting me and then got up, waived he was OK, and then continued running across from west to east.”

and he then continued running across….

And my point was he left the scene.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The forum ‘Open forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Advertisement