Need to find a great vet

Home Forums Open forum Need to find a great vet

This topic contains 21 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Cynthia 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

renit
    Participant

Just moved back to this end of town.We have a really good vet where we used to live but we need to find one closer to us here in the Viewlands / Crown hill area.We have both dogs and cat . Want one that is easy to work with and not one that pushes surgeries and pills.
    This is my first post there. I hope to join in more. I come from W.Seattle where we utilized the WS blog. I’ll miss it and hope to make this my new local online home.

VeganBiker
    Participant

renit – welcome to the Forum! We have taken our animals to Dr Hilmoe at The Family Pet, http://thefamilypet.org/ on 15th for many years. She is very patient and thoughtful and she knows her animals. I would recommend that you check out the clinic and maybe talk to Dr Hilmoe and see if she is the vet for you..

61stMama
    Participant

Another happy client of Dr. Hilmoe’s, for over 15 years, both cats and dogs. Great, attentive care for all the regular stuff, and very kind and thorough when it comes to the tough decision-making moments. Sometimes front staff is a bit busy but they always come thru. Vet techs have all handled our animals with great care.

Ipomoea
    Participant

We’re happy patients of Carkeek Park Vet– we’re able to book online, they’re prompt in responding to emails/calls, and the staff is friendly and not pushy about meds or surgeries. We have an elderly greyhound and when her spine started going, both Drs Jolivet and Rossi have been realistic about what’s going to be the best for her, discouraging surgery and instead suggesting meds or physical therapy. I also love their Tuesday nail trim specials.

renit
    Participant

Thank you for the recommendations! I will look into both of these.Has anyone used the Crown Hill VCA hospital or Aurora vet hospital?

Angeline
    Participant

I have not used Aurora vet hospital but I’m friends with one of the vets there. I think their care sounds excellent and I can’t imagine Dr. Lisa giving anything but wonderful service to both dogs and cats. I’ve also seen her doctor a mouse, though I’m not sure she makes a regular practice of it. The only reason we don’t take our dog there is that I worry about my own irrationality kicking in should anything bad happen to our pets that the vet is just unable to resolve (I’ve had one with cancer and another with fatal gastric torsion so far; traumatic!). No need to stress our friendship when (a) we like the vets down at Ballard Animal Hospital just fine and (b) Aurora Vet doesn’t seem to be in urgent need of our business; they are always busy there.

I like that they have separate dog and cat entrances and waiting areas.

Another reason we like Ballard Animal Hospital is that it is just a few blocks from our house — convenience is worth something.

Angeline
    Participant

To clarify: Aurora has the separate entrances. Ballard has just one door and waiting room.

Bean Dogger
    Participant

I highly recommend the Family Vet at 15th and NW 60th. Any of the vets are great especially Dr Hilmoe. You cant go wrong.

Rondi Susort
    Participant

Dr. MaryKay Hilmoe. She’s the absolute best.

gordy
    Participant

We took our pets to Dr. Hilmoe for years and years. Then a vet friend started doing house calls so she now takes care of our pets. If our friend was not available, we would definitely take the pets to Dr. Hilmoe. She is kind, compassionate and an excellent veterinarian.

Nora Bell
    Participant

I’ve used both Aurora Vet and Family Pet. Very happy with both. The separate entrances at Aurora Vet are ideal if you have a skittish one.

renit
    Participant

Great info. How are these vets with providing same day appointments if you have a serious issue with a pet?? I am used to being able to get into the vet as needed. Also what about emergencies? Are any of these vets open 7 days a week or evenings?

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

Did Family Pet ever hire back the woman they fired for taking time off for her cancer treatments?

Sarah
    Participant

We’ve used VCA Crown Hill for about 10 years now. They’re open 7 days a week and are good about getting you in same day. When we had older, ill cats, they were always able to get us in same day when we had a emergency… sometimes even staying open past closing to help us. Dr. Darley is great!

Playpinball
    Participant

I wasn’t impressed with Family Pet but I didn’t have Dr. Hilmoe that everyone is raving about. My dog had horrible mange and the vet treated him like a leper, didn’t even touch him. We now go to Ballard Animal Hospital and I LOVE THEM! Any business with that awesome art is a business I can love! It is easy to get appointments and they are just super caring. Fixed up the mange quickly and in 7yrs we haven’t been disappointed!

Sunset Hill David
    Participant

I just love Dr. Lizzy Dean at The Family Pet. I have had several older cats treated for years. When they passed away she was very considerate and kind to me. I highly recommend them.

earldanger
    Participant

@renit – If you need same day, emergency type care, there’s a GREAT emergency vet on Lake City Way and 115th – ACCES. We’ve used them more than we’d like, and each time it’s been a great experience given the amount of stress we were dealing with at the time. And for an emergency vet, not crazy expensive.

renit
    Participant

We have been to the emergency vet on Lake City way…that is why we need a closer vet. We have made an appointment at Aurora. We will see what we think. If we do not care for that clinic we will try the Family Pet. Aurora is closer to us than Family Vet that is why we will try them,. When we had to go to the LC ER vet we had just moved here and had an elderly dog that developed bloat .It was rush hour and it was the worst pet experience of my life. Traffic so bad, dog in agony. He had to be put down by the time we got there. I really wish there was an emergency vet on this side of the freeway or at least one that had evening hours and 7 days a week.

Cate
    Participant

In case you need an emergency vet again, Emerald Emergency Vet is on Stone Way and about 41st in the Wallingford area. They have been very good with a cat of mine in a crisis. http://emergencyvet.5u.com

Ernie
    Participant

+1 for Emerald City Emergency Vet. ACCES is really good too, our gal spent 3 days in doggy ICU there a couple months ago (all good now!) but it could be a traffic nightmare at the wrong time of day.

Our vet is Sunset Hill, and we are really happy with them. Their hours go to 7 or 8 PM during the week, depending on the day, and they have appointments on Saturdays. Some people feel that they are expensive, but the quality of care is worth the cost IMHO.

renit
    Participant

My follow up:Went to the Aurora Vet clinic today.Liked the vet we saw very much. The office still looks like it did when I took my sister and her cat there in 1969.They do not keep pets over night.Which is mostly good as I do not leave my pets overnight unless it is a major surgery that requires a vet watching them all night. Also bad though as if they did need to stay all night they would likely have to transport to Lack City ER.I did like them though and will go back.

Cynthia
    Participant

The entire staff in wonderful at Interbay Pet care.
    http://www.interbayvet.com/home

Can often get same day appts including Saturdays. Once they even delivered pet food when I was unable to get in. Only drawback is location (behind Interbay Red Mill) it can be tough to get in/out during traffic.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The forum ‘Open forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Advertisement