New (6-1-14) changes on NW 45th and Shilshole

Home Forums Open forum New (6-1-14) changes on NW 45th and Shilshole

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  noob 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

VeganBiker
    Participant

Have any of you driven/ridden/walked along NW 45th and Shilshole between NW 46th and 11th Ave NW since 6/1/14?
    SDOT has installed more signage, raised curbs and posts to define the two way bike lane and the one way East bound lane for motor vehicles.
    Even with all of that I looked in my mirror as I headed up Shilshole today from under the bridge towards 46th and saw a black SUV right behind me! I stopped and attempted to block his path to try and tell him that he would soon be head on into east bound traffic and going the wrong way but he revved up and went around me into on coming traffic and then headed over to his left to the dirt area with the RR tracks and attempted to get out into traffic on Shilshole! How unconscious do you have to be to do that?

Mondoman
    Participant

Hah! A few weeks ago, while driving east in the one-way car lane toward Fred Meyer, I saw a car coming westbound towards me, driving on the bike lanes! Either she had run over one of those plastic bollards blocking the lane entrance to cars or (more likely) SDOT hasn’t been replacing them very quickly once they’re knocked over.

VeganBiker
    Participant

Mondo- right now she would not be able to get under the Ballard Bridge without damaging her car and if she succeeded in getting under thed bridge she would have another problem at Shilshole and 46th.. I hope this all works, but REALLY when can we have a finished Burke Gilman Trail?

Mondoman
    Participant

Just wait until they install a log obstacle, cargo net, and some mud pits along the way, and rename it the “Ballard Challenge Course”, for anyone to try on any sort of conveyance.

great idea
    Participant

honestly, I stay away from that area regardless of how I’m moving.

sure I’ve seen cars drive the wrong way, but even more often I’m stuck behind some bicyclist riding Eastbound along the right side (car side) of the road.
    sometimes there is even another bicyclist going in the same direction at the same speed in the bike path on the left side of the street. I can only laugh when they effectively block the entire road like that.

hopefully this new signage will help.

noob
    Participant

Yesterday was the first day since they made it one way that I did not see a car going the wrong way. Of course, they ruined a good thing by putting in the most absurd railroad crossing. That sharp, narrow bend is impassable.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.