NW 45th Street Bike Lanes!

Home Forums Open forum NW 45th Street Bike Lanes!

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Ernie 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

VeganBiker
    Participant

I am interested to hear your comments on the “temporary” Bike Lanes on 45th Street? Are they working? Why are riders still riding East bound in the traffic lane? Are most riders stopping at the stop signs? Are drivers still driving in the Bike Lanes?
    What do you think?

Cate
    Participant

I ride it several times a week. Truth be told the first couple of times it was a little confusing/scary because of the cars/drivers not understanding it was a bike lane. Seems to be working better now but I still stay on high alert when I’m riding it.

VeganBiker
    Participant

Cate – good idea to “be alert” along that stretch. I rode it East bound this morning and there was no traffic East or West when I was on it and no other bikes! Very nice. But then I went downtown….. Different story there. :)

Mondoman
    Participant

I think the bollard and sign barrier blocking cars from entering westbound by Fred Meyer is pretty good now. I like the graphic sign there warning bicyclists about the railroad tracks!

noob
    Participant

I see about 3 cars a week driving the wrong way on the bike lanes. I’ve stopped a few of them and they are unaware that it has become a one way street. The most recent was a truck from King County Water Services. There are only signs at the intersection closest to Fred Meyer telling cars not to enter – the two other intersections are completely unlabeled.

VeganBiker
    Participant

noob – you are right, there is very little indication for drivers that start from a parking spot under or near to the bridge, that the West bound lane is now a bike lane. I hope SPD installs the raised islands and more signage soon. It is amazing how quickly that markings on the road are fading.

Mondoman
    Participant

Speaking of fading markings, I noticed a few months ago that the bike lane markings on Dexter Ave over Queen Anne were very worn/faded in many places.

Gurple
    Participant

Here’s an article on the issue from Seattle Bike Blog. I was one of the people who emailed him asking if he knew anything about when the painting will be completed. I’ve had about 8-10 run-ins with cars driving over both bike lanes since the change. I’m optimistic that more paint will help — I think that, for the most part, the drivers legitimately don’t realize what they’re doing.

Raus
    Participant

Personally I’m a huge fan of these bike lanes. Long overdue. However, I’m a little confused by the design. I feel like whoever designs bikes lines for SDOT has never ridden a bike. It seem like the eastbound lane should be the one designated as the bike lane for a couple reasons. 1 – Traveling east on shilshole, you can see they put in temporary painted lines for bikes to continue onto 45th but not cars. This makes sense, but I don’t understand at what point is it safe to cross over into the bike lane? It seems strange to have to do that and sometimes I don’t see cars who race up behind me before I cross over. I realize they’re not done with this section, but I don’t logically see a good spot to cross over regardless. 2 – When I get over to Freddies, I have to cross back in front of the eastbound traffic. I’ve run into some confusion with drivers when we arrive at the intersection at the same time. If the bike lanes were the eastbound lane, the entrance on the BG would cause less interaction with cars. Plus I also think this would benefit cars leaving Freddies. I see the stoplight at 46th getting backed up with cars. If cars were allowed to travel westbound instead of eastbound on 45th it would alleviate some of that backup.

So if someone has some insight why they chose the westbound lanes instead of eastbound for bike, I’d love to know.

Gurple
    Participant

I couldn’t agree with you more, Raus. I’ve seen people suggest that the bike lanes on the north side of the street make more sense because in the winter there are gigantic puddles on the south side of the street. I get that. There are puddles; splash, splash. But to me that’s small change compared to how horrifically dangerous the intersection by Freddy’s and the intersection at 17th are right now, as you pointed out. I think we’d be a lot better off with the bikes on the south side of the street.

I have this conspiracy-theorist-like suspicion that the city didn’t want to put anything in that was too much like what the eventual completed B-G trail will be like through that area (the B-G will be on the south side of the street). I could imagine two reasons for that. One, the city might have been worried that the businesses would have fought a Band-Aid that looked too much like the B-G. Two, and very much on the other hand, the city might not have wanted the businesses fighting the trail to be able to say, “well, why bother completing the trail through here? You’ve already got the route you want!”

But I’m coming up with crazy reasons because what we have in this Band-Aid is a crazy thing. The Band-Aid is garbage, and I hope the trail is completed before someone like me dies there.

Ernie
    Participant

Gurple, I’m hoping the trail gets completed before someone like me dies of old age!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.