Pastor Driscoll

Home Forums Open forum Pastor Driscoll

This topic contains 79 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  Cate 5 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 80 total)
  • Author

Shelley

Review of famous Driscollisms in the Seattle PI:

Famous quotes from Mark Driscoll of Mars Hill Church

oldguybc
    Participant

Hey, weren’t there some MB types that were Mars Hill members? Seems to me I remember something about subjugation and other sordid tales from years gone past. A little help here…

phoo
    Participant

“Driscoll copped to being William Wallace II in his Confessions of a Reformission Rev, but ex-church insiders say Mars Hill tried to scrub the actual comments from their website and even called members who they suspected kept physical copies and told them to destroy them.

But some ex-Mars Hill members have dug them back up.”

Hahaha, ya gotta love the internet! What’s said, STAYS said. Don’t want people to see your nakedness much later in life when you have aspirations? Keep it off the intertubes.

And in that interest, here’s the link to the amazing rants: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0By0MyUeolZbgU2FMOEVUYTRuTmc/view?pli=1&sle=true

I’ve only read the sample and found it hilarious. Or rather, hilarious since I have no part in his faith. If I were a Christian (any sort), I’d be incredibly concerned about his besmirching the religion at best and being heretical at worst.

On a personal note, I plan to stay far away from this fellow, since his values are not something I want a part of. And I’m not talking about the religion and women submitting to their wives thing either – this guy seems to think it’s the manly thing to spread his seed around and seems to be a little weak in the morals department. I don’t want to find out if being the recipient of his seed is 100% voluntary or not.

Edog
    Participant

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

Why don’t they just leave the church? It is not like there aren’t countless mediocre churches around. If you don’t believe in a basic tenant, esp some as ridiculous as his, just leave. They are just as stupid for “fighting” against him as they are staying, in my opinion.

Cate
    Participant

BOC – Now I don’t really know why they continue the fight after they have left, but I am a summing that they believe that Mark Driscoll and the senior church officials are actually doing harm, psychological or otherwise, to many of the members that remain. If they feel that way they may believe they have a moral and religious obligation to advocate for change. Or Hell, maybe they are just to pissed to let go.

Edog
    Participant

People have a personal connection to a church they helped build and they can’t just walk away. Think of the asset they helped create. In addition to their sizable real-estate portfolio, Mars Hill has like 20 million dollars, or something like that, in various funds. Congregants allege most of their contributions were collected for the global fund, to help in poor places abroad, but was channeled into the general fund. Furthermore they allege Driscoll began spending from the general fund outside of the churches standard disbursement practice. Given how important fundraising has been for MH, and how much these people contributed, coupled with the coercive environment… I think they want their account settled. For some that will be work at church with robust facilities, for others I think it means seeing their contributions actually go to good works abroad, and for others it means that Driscoll is forced to stand in the sun for what he has taken from them.

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

I’ve never heard of this Acts 29 group but this is interesting:

Evangelism network to Mars Hill’s Mark Driscoll: ‘Step down’ and ‘seek help’

GAM
    Participant

Cate
    Participant

I must be a bad person – I am enjoying watching this movie even though I know it’s really a tragedy. It only took 18 years to build Mars Hill. I wonder how long the destruction will take?

Shelley

Yep, a real tragedy in the Aristotelian sense. It does however bother me that so many folk have followed along in his footsteps. Paid dearly to the MH plate, and when all is said and done, the leadership is rotten at the core.

Makes me appreciate Billy Graham all the more. All the mega-techno-ministries set my teeth on edge, and have since I can remember the disembodied voices coming over the static laden air of the 5-tube radio that sat in our home growing up in Louisiana. How do these churches supposedly spreading the gospel of Jesus have roots set so strongly in hatred, intolerance and ignorance?

MidWest
    Participant

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

Shelley

the death spiral continues. Joel Connelly at the PI seems to write a lot on MH and MD topics. I hadn’t noticed his byline before but all the PI articles above are written by him. Sometimes more than one in a day. I nearly snorted coffee all over the computer and kitchen table at the mention of “Act Like Men” conferences. A real difference between “acting like” and “being” men.

Driscoll disappears from agenda of Act Like Men conferences

The name of Mars Hill Church senior pastor Mark Driscoll has disappeared for promotions for several Act Like Men conferences, mass almost-all-male gatherings around the country at which Driscoll has been a mainstay.

“Not sure why, but Mark Driscoll is no longer on the schedule for Act Like Men conferences slated for November 14-15 and May 15-16,” reported Warren Throckmorton, a college professor who writes for Patheos and is a redoubtable Driscoll critic.

Ex-Mars Hill board member: Church’s oversight doesn’t work

But Tripp hinted at deeper problems in a statement issued through Paul Tripp Ministries:

“It’s because of this love (for Jesus Christ) that I accepted the position on Mars Hill Church’s BOAA. But it became clear to me that a distant, external accountability board can never work well because it isn’t a firsthand witness to the ongoing life and ministry of the church.

“Such a board at best can provide financial accountability, but it will find it very difficult to provide the kind of hands-on spiritual direction and protection that every Christian pastor needs.

“Unwittingly what happens is that the external accountability board becomes an inadequate replacement for a biblically-functioning internal elder board that is the way God designed his church to be lead and pastors to be guided and protected.”

Shelley

More death spiral action: MH Cancels their “Big Resurgence” conference due to lack of people willing to speak (be associated with):

Mars Hill Church abruptly cancels big Resurgence 2014 conference

Unfortunately, we have decided to cancel this year’s conference due to unforeseen changes to our speaker lineup and other challenges we believe would make it difficult to provide the quality of conference people have come to expect from Resurgence.

Wonder if the flock is running away as well?

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

I’m guessing so, my sweetie pointed out to me the other day that my neighbors who suddenly moved out rather quickly in June had been employed by Mars Hill. she speculated that maybe they saw this coming and decided to head for greener pastures while the getting is good, with the speed at which they moved (were gone within a week of giving their notice to the landlord) I’d say so!!

Shelley

Uh-oh! “Jesus Festival” goes poof!

A big, planned Mars Hill ‘Jesus Festival’ disappears without a trace

“Apparently the money came in, but the festival is off, called off months ago,” the redoubtable Warren Throckmorton, who tracks Mars Hill for the Patheos, reported Tuesday.

“Shouldn’t the people have been consulted?” asked Throckmortion. “They gave toward a festival but didn’t get one.”

In his consulting, however, Mars Hill’s senior pastor Mark Driscoll goes upstairs rather than downstairs. In a pledge to reform his behavior, delivered to his flock in March, Driscoll said: “To be clear, these are decisions I have come to with our Senior Pastor Jesus Christ. I believe this is what He is asking of me, so I want to obey Him.”

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

Shelley

It will all be better on Sunday, when Pastor Mark returns, but only if the Mars Hillers all bring their bibles. ;)

Mark Driscoll returns Sunday; churchgoers told to bring Bibles

What is puzzling to me:
    1) MD is a pathetic waste of skin
    2) Joel Connelly writes all these op-ed-ish pieces in the PI, probably at least 100 in the last year alone
    3) Most of Joel’s articles quote Warren Throckmorton from Patheos
    4) Why does the church even exist any more?

oldguybc
    Participant

(Quote from The Time Bandits) ‘That’s what I want to see, little people hitting each other!” Seriously folks, better start checking these people for large amounts of Kool- Aid purchases… just sayin’…

Edog
    Participant

Driscoll is under tremendous pressure right now. This is a direct assault to his ego, not only as pastor who has worked to build a church, but as a bully and predator. At this point, I’m very concerned that he becomes physically violent.

Cate
    Participant

Edog – you may well be right but the most likely victim would probably not file a complaint if he did assault her.

Edog
    Participant

I meant, he might crack under the pressure and lash out physically at someone or some group members directly seeking his removal outside of his normal pattern of depredation. More like alpha males fighting over road kill than an alpha male asserting itself over its pride.

Cate
    Participant

I getcha, I think. But it’s my observation that threatened Alpha males often take it out on their pride rather then risk losing a fight with another Alpha male wannabe. (Does wannabe have one or two ‘e’s?). OF course it is always possible that she is an Alpha Female.

GAM
    Participant
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 80 total)

The forum ‘Open forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Advertisement