Power Outage

Home Forums Open forum Power Outage

This topic contains 44 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Shelley 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)
  • Author

Ernie
    Participant

Central Ballard. Kinda weird.

MayorOfBallard
    Participant

Yep, no power 73rd and Earl I can see lights up on about 75 or so.

SunsetHillMarauder
    Participant

Still up and running on Sunset Hill. Not even a flicker. Looks like over 11,000 people are out though.

Robotmonster
    Participant

Power out on 65th & 30th ave NW as far as the eye can see. First time we’ve lost power in over 13 years! Any word on what caused it and/or how long it will take to get fixed?

Ernie
    Participant

From Seattle City Light’s Outage Map:

http://www.seattle.gov/light/mobile/outagemap.asp

Est. customers affected: 11207
    Est. restoration: Pending
    Cause: Investigating.

Looks like all of central Ballard and most of Crown Hill

First time in 5 years for me. That’s when I moved here. What fun!

Crownhiller
    Participant

Yep mighty dark up here – weird gaps in who is/isnt out on the power outag map. Other side of 15th from 80th to 85th appears fine. Glad my husband remembered where the flashlight was though blackerry works in a pinch :)

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

Did any of you in the vicinity of Earl and 75 notice any flicker or low voltage from Thurs night thru Fri morning?

My kiln experienced low voltage and faile to continue its firing and although it could have been caused by something else, I am now looking at the possibility of low voltage.

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

The SCL outage map is not correct. It shows my home as affected but it is not.

They now say there were two different outages– quite strange– and that power will be restored by 4 am

Robotmonster
    Participant

Thanks for the info, Ernie!

Shelley

Just got home a half hour ago in Crown Hill. Kind of eerie riding my bike through the streets. First time I’ve lost power since moving here in 2001.

Pdaddymom
    Participant

i’m at 62nd and 7th and have power but the goodwill right next door is dark, but my lights blinked a couple of times around 9:30 or so. a friend on sunset hill near 80th and 33rd is dark. strange that the outage is so spotty – any word on a cause yet?

MayorOfBallard
    Participant

I sure hope this is not correct but the power in light page now says estimation on time to get power back, 4:00am. :-(

Cate
    Participant

Odd. I’m in Central Ballard. But haven’t lost power (but the SCL map says I have.). The QFC and the Commons both still have power too.

Ernie
    Participant

Now it says estimated restoration 4:00 AM

SunsetHillMarauder
    Participant

Estimated restoration times are pointless when they don’t even know the cause yet. They put them but they are essentially meaningless until they find the cause.

Crownhiller
    Participant

Its weirdly spotty – they said on twitter that 4 sm is estimate based on historical experience – could be less/more. And they have no idea cause yet so…to be continued…

Cate
    Participant

Realtime shows that there was a car fire with explosion over at 3rd NW and NW 65th at 8:49. Might have something to do with it if it took out a feeder line.

Shelley

Where on Twitter crownhiller?

https://twitter.com/SEACityLight just has that PR stuff from that crap PR firm Carrasco hired. Geesh.

Robotmonster
    Participant

Power just came back on Sunset Hill. That was fast!

MayorOfBallard
    Participant

Yep here in loyal heights too!

Crownhiller
    Participant

Just came on here too – apparently a faulty underground cable failed – good reminder to stock up on flashlights/batteries etc that’s for sure :)

Ernie
    Participant

Just came back on in central ballard!

phoo
    Participant

Interestingly, the traffic has picked up significantly since the lights came back on. Both times (going out and coming back) I was literally seconds from dropping off to sleep completely. I had an interesting time trying to turn off my UPS after I safely shut down all systems here. It seems it’s not just one long press, but a long press followed by a short press. Maddening.

I heard what happened is a technician dropped a wrench in the CO. The fuses are apparently copper plates, so when the wrench fell on it, bad things happened. Hopefully no one got hurt.

However, it was a good test to see that I could find the flashlight in the dark because I keep it in a specific and easy to feel place. The UPS stayed up long enough to shut everything down. I was even able to attempt to get online, but the phone lines were down too (since the problem was at the CO).

People west of 24th seemed to be unaffected.

Sadly, I had to shut down my shell server. It has 840 days of uptime. It hasn’t gone down since I moved here. Poo.

GAM
    Participant

It was a nice chance to gather with the neighbors and have a glass of wine.

Last time I lost power for any length of time was over 20 years ago. I’m glad that’s still the case!

Edited to add: Phoo, I’m west of 24th and was affected. I believe 26th or 27th was the border, but that’s based on what passing cars told us.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.