Public piano at Ballard Commons

Home Forums Open forum Public piano at Ballard Commons

This topic contains 29 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  BuffaloHawk 5 years ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Has anyone else seen the piano that’s now at Ballard Commons? I saw it driving by yesterday. It’s got wood ends that make it look like a Viking ship. I think it’s part of a Parks and Rec (?) program that puts pianos in public places for whoever to use. I saw the same thing in New Zealand earlier this year (it had a box attached to it to collect donations for tuning) and thought it was an awesome idea. I hope the one at BC doesn’t get vandalized or otherwise fucked up.

Ernie
    Participant

That dude with the big afro was playing it last night. His singing was just ok, but his playing was quite good.

There’s more info on the program on the front page.

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

From the toilet to the piano. And no gallon of hand sanitizer in between!

Anonymous

I think the program is awesome! I don’t care if “the dude with the big afros” voice is technically perfection, getting music and the love of it out there is a wonderful idea. I appreciate all the people sharing their musical abilities with us and I love to see the kids playing around with the piano too.

My understanding of germs has made anything in public (and most things in peoples homes) an icky prospect. I just carry a little thing of antibac around and participate in cool things anyway.

Losing our music programs in schools has been detrimental to our society. I like to think that when offered the chance to share music with everyone (children in particular) we would all appreciate it instead of harping on details. ;)

Edog
    Participant

Hey, there is sanitizer in the public toilet at Ballard Commons, Bubble Boy!!!

phoo
    Participant

There was an older fellow playing when I passed it yesterday afternoon. He was quite good. I like it.

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

I can’t help but wonder if they will play request for 40z;)

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

@Anya deLuna, I agree. ditto for art programs.

Frabo
    Participant

There is one at Greenlake as well…by the swimming pool.

Edog
    Participant

There are rumors that Pennygirl plays piano very well. If she shows up and gives us all a concert, I promise never to play my banjo in public again!

Anonymous

Anya deLuna, I hear ya. I’d give it a once-over with Lysol wipes before I played it.

Tam
    Participant

I agree that having the piano there is great, but is there a way to prevent people from playing it after midnight? That sounds carries…

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

Tam, your question would be heard by the right people if you sent it to the Parks dept. I am nearby but do not hear it.

great idea
    Participant

so they leave them outside 24/7?

doesn’t the rain ruin the instrument?

if it is available to play in wee hours, I’ll have to make sure to stop by after last call.

Anonymous

There’s a tent over it.

As for playing hours, isn’t the park officially closed after 11 p.m.?

I really hope this isn’t abused. It’s a great public amenity.

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

After hours rave. I never spun to looking at life through a glass 40z. Fedoras and peacock feathers…. fwiw

briarrose
    Participant

Dang once again Ernie for the win. ” His singing was just ok, but his playing was quite good.”

briarrose
    Participant

“That sounds carries…” So does the sound made by idiot hipsters after 2am and certainly car noise carries. Ban ALL hipsters after 10pm.

Edog
    Participant

Hipsters are as dead as Oasis, Briar, but don’t look back in anger…

briarrose
    Participant

They will never die edog, just appear under a new name. Remember Fringies?

pennygirl
    Participant

Due to the extreme temperature drop over the last couple of days it’s probably already out of tune.

Smells Fishy
    Participant

I went down there to have dinner with the park detail but the recurrent attempts to correctly play the notes of “Heart and Soul” sent me scurrying home to honey.

electricoutlet
    Participant

I live nearby and it has been amazing how many different people will stop and play and some of them are quite good.

Edog
    Participant

Its also still in tune!

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

I agree! Some thirty`somethings were doing show tunes last evening. It was fun listening to them.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.