Puffy Jackets

Home Forums Open forum Puffy Jackets

This topic contains 36 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  PlantLover 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • Author

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

I’m still kinda new to Ballard. I’ve lived in Seattle for almost 3 years and I recently moved to Ballard. From what I’ve seen, Ballardites wear puffy jackets way more than people in other Seattle neighborhoods. I’m talking about the North Face/Columbia jackets you Ballard people are always rocking.
    Do Ballard locals get colder than other people in Seattle. Should I buy a puffy jacket? If so, which brand and/or puff level should I choose?

great idea
    Participant

we also eat more ‘gorilla munch’ cereal than other parts of Seattle, but you seem to have already figured that out.

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

This is no surprise. Gorilla Munch is delicious. I would not have allowed Trader Joe’s to use the photo of my sexy face if it were undelicious.

Rudy
    Participant

I prefer my Patagonia “Down Sweater”
    http://www.rei.com/product/770806/patagonia-down-sweater-mens

It’s lightweight, not bulky, blocks the wind and is very warm. Just not good for rainy/drizzly days.

Allison W
    Participant

North Face and Columbia are kinda down market brands. Like Rudy, I am partial to Patagucci.

briarrose
    Participant

I am a native fashionista and would not wear any of the above mentioned garments, even to a dog fight.
    Sadly Seattle has become a fashion embarrassment. No creativity whatsoever in the population here.

great idea
    Participant

I would wear a stolen puffy jacket (delightfully called a ‘stole’) to a dog-fight where all the dogs were also stolen from various cafés and made to wear little puffy jackets themselves.

Matthew
    Participant

I am with great idea on this one.

The people who drive around with dogs on their laps ( usually while texting ) should be forced to clothe their dogs in puffy doggie jackets.

Oh wait, they already do of their own choice.

Jimmy, resistance is futile. Start wearing flip flops as business attire, and accessorize with huge tacky sunglasses and a puffy jacket.

See you drinking tequila at Grog on Sunday nights.

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

@great idea: That is a great idea, great idea. I just gave a stolen dog to m sister but she just dropped him off at a Petco (she’s kind of unstable). Also, I think he was nonplussed because of my lack of a puffy jacket.

@briarrose: It’s great that there is someone else here with some fashion sense. Everywhere I go I think to myself “These Ballard residents are barbaric peasants. My wardrobe is far superior to theirs.”

briarrose
    Participant

My main issue is with the lack of creativity. It appears as if neo-seattlites are wearing a uniform.

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

long time Ballardite and don’t own a puffy jacket, now a rocking Ballard, Washington sweatshirt on the other hand ya you betcha!! ;)

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

@Matthew: I have never been to this “grog” you speak of but I am tired of drinking tequila at home (or at puffy jacket dog fights) on Sunday nights. I will check it out. . .

Rudy
    Participant

Briar, if I happen to have a jacket-type that others also have it’s not due to a lack of creativity, it’s because I don’t really care. I typically go with what is readily available over trying to be unique. Having a truly creative/unique wardrobe is an exhausting prospect to me. Jeans, t-shirt, jacket. That’s my uniform.

Edog
    Participant

Rudy – Re “exhausting prospects” that’s what marks the difference between a real aesthete and someone who simply likes cutting edge clothes. There are people who respond to color, texture and shape the way others respond to music, mathematics, or writing. For a person like that it’s effortless. They literally see and experience these things in a different way than people like you and me. I’d say very few of the people who follow fashion or aspire to great fashion are true aesthetes.

Crownhiller
    Participant

Sadly, my husband & I got in to quite an argument a while back over the puffy jacket trend – he likes them, I think they are…um…well….less attractive. He found brand new one at Goodwill, I pretend it doesn’t exist ;o) Totally agree Rudy – not everyone has to use clothing as an expression of creativity.

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

Well said, Edog, true for most people.

Matthew
    Participant

“not everyone has to use clothing as an expression of creativity.”

LMFAO

I would say that this is PROFOUNDLY true…one only has to wander the streets of Ballard to observe it’s truth!

Cate
    Participant

It’s only neo-Ballardites that wear puffy jackets. Old School Ballardites know that all that down just gets soggy and matted in the rain.

pennygirl
    Participant

It’s Spring.

Cate
    Participant

True buff, it’s spring in Seattle. But our jackets don’t go away until July 5th.

pennygirl
    Participant

Buff?! Anyway, the Puffy jacket should probably be replaced with something lighter by April. But what do I know – never owned one.

Cate
    Participant

I was trying to be (mildly) humorous and type nuff but computer autocorrected for me. Damn computer.

great idea
    Participant

I would also wear a ‘buffy’ jacket which I might occasionally tie around my shoulders after tennis lessons and before I go vampire slaying.

I think Cate was mistaking you for buffhawk, who I thought drowned in his own vomit after the seahawks superbowl victory.

pennygirl
    Participant

I thought you mistook me for BH, Cate :-)

Allison W
    Participant

Last time consort and I were at Hillbilly Q, one of the colorful local types commented on our puffy coats, which I didn’t understand. People who do stuff like hiking and skiing have *always* had puffy coats. If it’s trendy right now, that’s not my problem.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.