Pugs – Pros & Cons

Home Forums Open forum Pugs – Pros & Cons

This topic contains 8 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  oldguybc 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

DDF
    Participant

I’m thinking about getting a dog. My kids want a pug. I don’t know much about them, but I’ll bet someone on this forum does.

pennygirl
    Participant

Briana N Pugs – but she isn’t here any longer. Weren’t you thinking about a guinea pig a few years ago?

A dog isn’t a literal walk in the park. Research the breed and its needs thoroughly.

gracie
    Participant

One thing I do know about Pugs, and why I didn’t look into one, they shed like crazy.
    Pennygirl is right – you should do research on what breed you are looking at – to see if good around kids, socializing, are they barkers (like every Beagle I’ve been around constant barking if left alone) etc.
    I guess a dog could be considered “isn’t a literal walk in the park” – but I have found every dog I’ve had an absolute dream. There has been a void since my dog Nikki died but once I’m not working (5 days and counting!) I am seriously looking for a new one. Although my cat Pickles has pretty much filled that void I still catch myself looking at people walking their dogs and feel a little pain and envy. Can’t wait till I have a new four legged fur child.
    But they do need exercise, attention and some need training. I lucked out in the area of training – didn’t have to go to any classes.

phoo
    Participant

Because of the short nose, they don’t tolerate high temps well. Try to get one with as long of a snout as possible. They also can sometimes suffer from a collapsed trachea, iirc. The short nose causes the snorting noises you sometimes hear. It’s not just “cute,” there are medical issues that can accompany them, like the intolerance of high temps.

I agree that you’ll want to research the breed thoroughly and rescue, don’t buy. Even if it takes time, it is most important that you find a breed and temperament/personality that fits your family than to get something quickly. Speaking of which, please be certain that this is a family pet and that everyone will love the dog even if mom and dad are (and they should be, btw) the primary care givers. If children could be primary care givers and responsible for a life, they’d be declared adults at an earlier age.

There is a particular name for the short snout, but I can’t recall it. Definitely research it – there are several breeds that suffer from this (the french bulldog is another).

Personally, if I were to get a dog, it would probably be an italian greyhound. You can’t let them off leash because they are sight hounds (read: they’ll bound out of your sight and never return), but they don’t have the nose issue and they like short strenuous walks as opposed to long runs.

pennygirl
    Participant

Briana is the Pug mistress, but I also think that her parents had Pugs, so she knows what she is doing.

Figuring out what type of dog to get is a long and difficult process. It really isn’t the case of thinking you might like to get a dog. Please rethink, and choose carefully if you really are prepared to put the time in.

Ernie
    Participant

Phoo, it’s “brachycephalic” applies to all the dogs with flat faces, cool word.

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

I had 2 pugs. They do have multiple health issues due to the short nose and thin hair. They will shed ALOT, but their undercoat is sometimes not present and they can sunburn. The wrinkle skin on the nose can catch dirt and food which can cause infections. Trouble breathing. Pugs usually have a higher cost in vet bills than normal, but have awesome temperaments. They are good usually with kids and other pets. They have study frames and take the heavy play kids usually do with dogs. They really don’t have a herding or working instinct which means fetch and watching property is likely not going to happen. Not barkers typically but can be very stubborn. In short, pugs can be wonderful family pets, but be willing to take to the vet often. Oh and their nails grow very quick, you will have to trim them often, more so than with other breeds.

Personally if you want a smaller dog, whippets are awesome and not high maintenance. Schipperkes are also great for families. http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/schipperke

Pinschers are great family dogs. The mini is especially good with kids. Bad breeders though kind of gave this breed a bad name. http://dogtime.com/dog-breeds/miniature-pinscher

earldanger
    Participant

Likely more info than you care to have but:

I’ve never owned a pug, but our very best friends growing up had (and still have) a pug, Oscar. Such a sweet dog, ugly as sin, and constantly making this weird snuffling/snoring/sneezing sound. Great personality, great with us when we were kids (they got him when we were in our tweens and the youngest of us was about 10) and they haven’t had many health issues with him, just old age now. Not barky (but he had a weird, scratchy bark when he DID bark) and just a little lovebug.

Now I say ugly as sin, because they are, but I love ugly dogs. I grew up with weiner dogs. No I don’t recommend them if that’s your first dog and you have young kids. Little beasts.

If the shedding and short snout is a problem, I highly recommend mini Schnauzers. Our little guy is a “big” one, at 20lbs, and while the breed can be barky, he’s alone in our condo all day with no issues. He does alert when we’re out and about or he feels we’re threatened (they were meant as ratters and guard dogs). He needs moderate exercise and stimulation outside the house, but is also perfectly happy to sleep 21 hours a day if we let him.

And of course – adopt adopt adopt!! There’s a great breed-specific rescue in the area, Seattle Purebred Dog Rescue, that’s how we got our little guy. We’d done lots of research and knew we couldn’t do a puppy (we both grew up with dogs and know how much work puppies are), loved the Schnauzer breed, so an adult was perfect. They do all breeds, and I’m not 100% these are all purebreds to be honest. But if you know what you want, you can get on the list with them and wait and see – adult males are easier to get, if you’re not picky!

Oh, and dog shows are a fun way to learn more about breeds! Dog people are always more than happy to tell you the pros and cons of their dogs (they’re tired of seeing dogs end up in shelters too!).

oldguybc
    Participant

Get a Basenji, they don’t smell, don’t bark, don’t shed and they’re great with people.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.