Rules at Café Besalu?

Home Forums Open forum Rules at Café Besalu?

This topic contains 45 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  Dweezil 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author

PlantLover
    Participant

I have not been to Besalu so I can’t comment on what happens there. But I do go to Holy Grounds and the Starbucks on Holman, usually with my husband. I am recovering from a serious illness and sometimes have trouble standing for even the length of time it can take to get the order filled, so I will sit down at an available table. For awhile I was using a cane, but I do not now. So keep in mind that some people may be sitting and waiting for a reason you may not easily see. And it is not their responsibility to tell self-righteous people about their illness.

What makes me madder are the people who buy something at the QFC and eat it at a Starbucks table, or something from MacDonalds and sit at the Holy Ground tables (though this is often the outdoors tables). I wish management would say something to those people. Or to people who use a table for 4 hours while buying one cup of coffee, while they use their computers for work or watching movies.

pennygirl
    Participant

When two or more people go somewhere, doesn’t one person typically order and the others sit down? Who knows.

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

here here, but what if they don’t choose to purchase croissants?

Cate
    Participant

PlantLover – Point well taken.

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

I definitely understand, plant lover. And I suspect if someone else sat at your table they would not be greeted with an attitude.

Usually, in Besalu, because it is so small, there is an opportunity to observe either the announcement about sitting down or the casual slinking to the table!

Edog
    Participant

Oh no, Penny! Down here in Ballard proper when two people go out, it’s to show they know the secret handshake and sneer at those who don’t. It’s much more about daily affirmations than just two people going somewhere.

Bean Dogger
    Participant

Amazing stream of comments about an over priced lame eating establishment. There seems to be a bumper crop of these places in Ballard. They appear one month and are gone another. I manage to avoid them all and stick to places like Hattie’s Hat, Vera’s, and the Sloop Tavern. Walk in, sit at the bar, and order a Rainer.

Shelley

Ombudswoman, I absolutely adore Honore (on 70th near 14th). Customers are very genteel there.

http://www.honorebakery.com/

KS
    Participant

Bean Dogger, you are entitled to your opinion as ill informed as it may be. Cafe Besalu has been in business for about 14 years now so it irrational to equate it with one-month-and-gone places. Moreover you provide no justification for why you find it overpriced … or why you find it “lame” (other than it isn’t a bar where you can order a Rainier). Miller has been a James Beard semifinalist in the national pastry category three times since 2008. That’s a credible indicator of quality. They have received acclaim for their pastries year after year from travel article and food blogs not to mention that they recently were named as one of the top reviewed restaurants/bakeries nationally on Yelp. You may be reasonably skeptical about the objectivity and validity of individual Yelp reviews but collectively 4.5* based on about 500 reviews is possibly about as close as you are going to get to an adequate sample providing a valid indicator of quality and value. Consider also Urbanspoon’s 4.5* and 92% approval rating based on nearly 800 votes and 4.5* average ratings on TripAdvisor, Google reviews and Foursquare.

pennygirl
    Participant

Oh God whatever. Is one person allowed to sit down while the other one orders? Or will we be spit on/get the dead eye/be banished from Ballard proper?

Curtis
    Participant

If Compass Rose were still here we’d all be set straight. Alas!

pennygirl
    Participant

I love you Curtis.

Edog
    Participant

I live close by so always walk and bring my goodies home. It’s never looked like a pleasant place to sit to me.

Cate
    Participant

They still make Rainier?

Ernie
    Participant

Curtis, It’s a good bet that the owners are friends of hers :)

I haven’t been to Besalu for years, for me they’re good, but just not worth the ridiculous wait on the weekends.

Edog
    Participant

It’s been faster the last few times I’ve been. Also a lot of plunging necklines, but it was more creepy than nice.

Bean Dogger
    Participant

Yes, Rainer is still around. However, it is now made in LA. This may be the best place in west of the Monroe State Pen but who really cares. There are too many cookie cutter places just like it in Ballard already. Over priced and snobby. I like Pennygirl’s comment; very funny.

ballardMike
    Participant

Treat others the way you would like to be treated… and do NOT order the last Ham/Swiss if I am in line!!

briarrose
    Participant

I tried Besalu once and was not impressed. Maybe just a bad morning but they apparently had their ovens too hot as the pasty was burned on the outside and gummy inside. People will love anything if they are told they should.

saffythepook
    Participant

I always give a place a couple of tries before I write them off. In the case of Besalu, I’ve been consistently impressed with their quiches and sweet pastries and go back often. The savory pastries and cookies, not so much.

As for the “rules” on open tables, I call BS. If a table’s open when I come in, I take it. Same as any other establishment without hosted seating.

Dweezil
    Participant

No pastry for you! Come back one year!

Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.