Say NO to Prop 1

Home Forums Open forum Say NO to Prop 1

This topic contains 51 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  Mondoman 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)
  • Author

Mondoman
    Participant

Looks like Prop 1 is failing. It’ll be interesting to see what Metro and the County Council come back with for the fall.

Smells Fishy
    Participant

NoNoNo. This is a lot of scare tactic crap. Sweetie and I take the car anyway, but we predict that metro will find the money even though they will be pissed that they didn’t dupe the public sector. Just you wait a Norwegian second.

Cate
    Participant

Are Norwegian seconds different then Swedish seconds? How do they compare to Canadian seconds?

Smells Fishy
    Participant

From Seconds Investigation:

Different cultures account for time according to the folklore of their geographical region. Allowing for the tidal pull realized along the shores of certain countries naturally further affects the rate of time in that area. The wind velocity, and it’s temperature also compounds this perplexing anomaly. As fortuitous as it is to predict the harrowing time between Canada and Norway, it is perplexing to decipher the time differences between the border between Norway and Sweden. The motto “time flies” cannot be attributed to Ikea’s famous meatball rally, however, the Norwegian foxhound often challenges that mere second.

Matthew
    Participant

Well done Prop 1 opposition.

30K more cars on the streets.
    Less transit service to Ballard ( in spite of population growth without local jobs )
    Literal suspension of road repairs ( enjoy the drive along Shilshole even more now! )

Well played. Hope you enjoy the extra 60 bucks in your pocket.

“shakes head..walks away…embarrassed not only for the city, and my so called “neighbours” but mainly in my own niavety that I could possibly believe in our communal ability to fund public transit as it should be”

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

@matthew: Next time you are standing on an overcrowded bus stuck in gridlock rush hour traffic, just think to yourself “I saved myself $0.16 today.”

Actually, i’m pretty embarrassed myself. People are pretty short sighted by nature. I’m sure many people stopped reading about the issue at “Prop 1 will add a $60. . .”

Here, a red panda eating sushi will make you feel better:

redpanda1

Matthew
    Participant

Jimmy…I take the bus to work and back everyday. Looking forward the next few years of “transit”

Thank you Seattle!

donarb
    Participant

“I’m sure many people stopped reading about the issue at “Prop 1 will add a $60. . .””

Especially when it only added $20. People had already been paying $40, which was set to expire, Prop 1 added $20 to that. But hey, the court has already said it’s ok to lie to voters during elections, free speech and all that.

Lou98107
    Participant

I’d already been concerned about the impact to our bus route when the numerous, massive apt & condo buildings added throngs of new residents. And now, it’s likely to be much worse.

Mondoman
    Participant

donarb, I’m pretty sure it was $20 we were paying, giving a $40 effective increase had Prop 1 passed.

Edog
    Participant

The best thing about the defeat of the measure is now we’ll have tax justice!

Seriously, this just makes me sick!!!

donarb
    Participant

Mondo, oops, you’re right.

Oly
    Participant

1. Cut operating expenses, 2. Raise the cost of riding the bus, 3. Stop trying to fund buses, bikes and bullshit with a car tab tax.

Matthew
    Participant

1. Cut uninformed, meaningless drivel. 2. Educate oneself on the core issues.3.Provide actionable, realworld solutions as opposed to unachievable, unrealistic goals with no possibility of success.

Marigold
    Participant

This vote makes me grumpy and stabby and I just wanna vote no on everything that raises taxes from now on. Unless it’s state income tax, and then I’m in!

Mondoman
    Participant

Mari – the state may already have a voluntary income tax payment address; I know the feds do.

Mondoman
    Participant

1. Cut uninformed, meaningless drivel.

Yes, that would be nice!

lakreitz
    Participant

I’m sad about this for all of the reasons stated above. I don’t think bus riders came out in force to support this measure. My SO forgot to vote before leaving the house on Monday for a biz trip. I drove to the airport with his ballot so he could vote YES. May all of the folk in East King County enjoy their soon to-be-unpaved roads.

Work is forcing a relocation to S.Cal for me later this year (95% certain). When I first learned of the move, I was sad to have to live in Orange County and leave lovely Seattle. Orange County residents are very different from Seattle-ites (though Huntington Beach recently banned plastic bags). At least I will never have to be disappointed in an election result.

NWCitizen
    Participant

I called Larry Phillips’ office and asked if there was a Plan ‘C’ to maintain bus service in King County and they said No. The plan for cuts goes to the County Council next week, I believe, and cuts could begin as early as this summer.

Goldy is writing about the issue on HA:
    Does Prop 1′s Thumping Make Legislative Action Moot?
    http://horsesass.org/does-prop-1s-thumping-make-legislative-action-moot/

Seattle Transit Blog talks about
    Metro Cuts: When and Where

Metro Cuts: When and Where

I’d read somewhere about a plan for a citizen’s initiative to raise the funds just here in Seattle to maintain service in Seattle but can’t find the reference just now.

Mondoman
    Participant

NW, I’ve heard about that initiative for the City of Seattle on KUOW at least a few times, I think. IIRC, they were shooting to raise about $25 million per year for 5 years as a property tax levy, with money going to Metro to pay for bus routes that were in Seattle for at least 70% of their route.

LA – I like your ballot delivery service! Sorry to hear you are leaving Ballard, but think of all the money you’ll save on not having to buy vitamin D!

Bean Dogger
    Participant

The long range effects of this will not be felt for a few years. This will discourage employers from moving to this area and eventually may cause a decrease in property values. More short sites BS from the unwashed masses. Yes, more vehicles on the road with less money for repairs. Seattle, the new Mississippi.

Mondoman
    Participant

No, it’ll just cause Amazon and Google and Adobe and others to keep leasing more office space in the area, and expand their private shuttle bus fleets. UW might have some problems. Ballard will be fine property-value-wise; we are, after all, the new San Francisco.

Not sure what you mean by “short sites”, or what that has to do with the homeless (unwashed masses?)…

Besides, with apologies to SHM, “don’t you worry, child, Larry’s got a plan for you.” (Phillips, that is)

GAM
    Participant

I think that was “short sighted” masses, perhaps.

It looks like Ballard’s buses won’t be hit too hard. I was pleasantly surprised to see the 18X untouched. The 40 will lose some frequency. I’m worried about my commute, but not my property values.

If companies like MSFT take the pressure off public transit by shuttling their own people, that’s good, isn’t it? The whole idea is to consolidate people into more efficient vehicles, and that’s what they’re doing. No one complains about school buses, after all.

saffythepook
    Participant

Lakreitz:
    “Orange County residents are very different from Seattle-ites (though Huntington Beach recently banned plastic bags). At least I will never have to be disappointed in an election result.”

If you were disappointed in the Prop 1 results here, I think it’s safe to say you’ll be disappointed in every election result in the OC.

lakreitz
    Participant

saffy – I meant to say that I won’t be disappointed in election results because I will be fairly certain the outcome will be a full-on helping of the conservative agenda. I checked out The OC library system (at least there is one) and they charge $1 to place holds and charge to check out popular titles.

I haven’t read into a Seattle only tax to fund transit. Would that even be permitted under the existing Metro rules? I am all for a bus-specific tax. IIRC the measure that failed had a lot of $$ for King County roads.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)

The forum ‘Open forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Advertisement