Scifi Geek-out

Home Forums Open forum Scifi Geek-out

Tagged: 

This topic contains 38 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  pennygirl 5 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author

phoo
    Participant

Hah, Sunsethillguy!

What general time works for people? The first Firefly is 2 episodes in 1, so it’s 1.5 hours. I’d like to show it early, before the official B5 time. The gathering is largely to get people hooked on B5 who haven’t seen it, but I like Firefly too so it’d be awesome if I played it as a pre-show. I probably shouldn’t plan on things going too late, since I’m still falling asleep early. Not sure if that will be the case once school has been out for a week, but it might.

I can’t accommodate everyone, but I’ll take votes and figure out what I can do. What times work for folks on a Friday?

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

:)

phoo
    Participant

Haha, it started about a bit rough, but ended up hilarious!

(referring to a link BH had posted.)

phoo
    Participant

So here’s a crazy question. I recently found “Doctor Who classic” on Netflix. I was surprised to find two seasons in black and white. But here’s the wacky part: The first season most of the actors have American accents. So…. wtf?

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

the first 6 seasons were done in black & white

if you could recall the stories you watched that might help as I don’t recall American accents exactly on the show, maybe just not strong British ones

phoo
    Participant

Ah, netflix must not have all of the seasons. That would explain why there are gaps of years between seasons.

The first one they have is of doc #1 where they land amongst the aztecs. They figure one of the females for a reincarnated god.

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

well it’s a long story but basically in the early 1970s some people at the BBC had the idea that no one would ever want to see old black and white episodes of shows so they wiped the tapes with them all, the ones we have now were somehow saved or were shipped overseas and left out of the purge thus the gaps for the first 6 seasons.

the story in question is the sixth one overall and is called “the Aztecs”, it was one of the pure historicals the show did in its early years but later were dropped in favor of the more sci-fi approach. It’s pretty good and is the story that introduces the concept that there are something in the past that can not be undone, what the new series calls a “fixed point in time”

phoo
    Participant

So…. why do most of the cast members in those episodes (“The Aztecs”) have American accents on a BBC show?

Nora Bell
    Participant

The Aztecs in the episode sounded American? Been awhile since I’ve seen that one.

phoo
    Participant

It did to me. I don’t know if they were americans or just used an american accent.

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

I don’t recall them sounding American to me, rather just not very British. might have to rewatch that tonight

pennygirl
    Participant

They don’t have American accents.

Edog
    Participant

They did in Space 1999

pennygirl
    Participant

William Hartnell was in Space 1999? Well, I never!

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)

The forum ‘Open forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Advertisement