Seahawk Celebration Parade – Are you going?

Home Forums Open forum Seahawk Celebration Parade – Are you going?

This topic contains 43 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  GAM 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)
  • Author

gracie
    Participant

I AM! Since I work in the area of parade, it’s a given. 300,000 fans expected!!!

SEdholm
    Participant

Took the day off. Trying to coordinate with 3 other high school friends. I have a feeling I wont be the only one to shed a tear. Oh man.

Don’t know what time to go down, don’t know where to go. What is everyone’s plans?

SunsetHillMarauder
    Participant

People who can be will be there hours early to stake their spots. You can count on it. Just like the Torchlight Parade.

gracie
    Participant

SEHolm – the earlier the better..much earlier. There are chairs already showing up on 4th Avenue. I’m only a hill away and was going to go down at 11:00 and told oh heck no. 10:00 at the very latest (of course at that time I didn’t realize projected 300,000 coming!). I’m thinking Pioneer Square area – insane, same up by the Center and downtown. Maybe further down 4th Avenue – like by King County Courthouse? Who knows.

SunsetHillMarauder
    Participant

I think the expected number of attendees is up to 500,000 now from what I’ve heard today.

gracie
    Participant

You are right! I can’t even imagine that number of people. Someone told me he heard on T.V. the figure one million but I haven’t been able to find that. I can’t even phathom that many people on the streets. Crazy time tomorrow for sure.

SunsetHillMarauder
    Participant

That’s nearly seven times the seating capacity of the Clink. It’s going to be complete insanity down there for hours.

Rudy
    Participant

It’s not something I want to miss… but my duties call. So I’ll probably just pull up the streaming feed of it on one of my monitors at work. ;)

great idea
    Participant

that’s funny Rudy because I have a business meeting tomorrow morning right near where the parade starts.

it is something I want to miss (don’t like crowds), but duty calls.

Cate
    Participant

1979 parade for the Seattle Sonics (may they rest in peace) I was just starting my first career as a banker. Several of us were photographed in a front page picture in the Seattle Times standing in a row up on the tellers counter watching the parade. What the picture didn’t show was the crowds surrounding the building blocking all entrances and exits and pressing back into the glass windows. It was actually a little scary. And the crowds will be bigger this time (albeit spread out over a longer parade route).

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

Not a crowd person, so I will watch on TV. It was fun seeing RW on David Letterman last night. I think Letterman was secretly pissed at Russel– he’s a big Peyton Manning fan. Lots of Seahawks fans in the audience!

AprilJoy Greenwell
    Participant

I would love to attend but my disabilities make it far too difficult. I will watch it live on the tv here in my livingroom.

JM98107
    Participant

It’s a great day for the long time season ticket holders. I plan to view the event on TV.

GAM
    Participant

I won’t be there by choice, but I have to navigate rerouted busses around 10:00 and am bracing for chaos.

I remember one of my classmates got her foot run over by a parade vehicle at the Sonics’ parade back in the day.

Angeline
    Participant

I’ll be at work, in Georgetown. Usually I leave between 4:30 and 5pm. Wonder how late I should plan to stay to keep away from traffic snarls.

StarryEyed
    Participant

Absolutely!

I anticipate a LOT of traffic. The good thing is that my work is 2 blocks from the parade route so if traffic is insane, I can just go in and get some work done. Yay.

gracie
    Participant

I had suggested maybe down by City Hall to watch it. I just came into work at 7:00 and it is two or so deep now. I had thought of standing at top of the stairs there but they are blocked off. Don’t know what I’ll do now.
    If you are planning to come, and haven’t left yet – get going. Unbelievable how many people along the route already there and foot traffic.
    I hadn’t thought about after work the snarl. So if I look down & see backup, I’ll just stay at work and get some things done.
    And if going – layer, layer, layer. I have on three layers and I was cold.

Edog
    Participant

They should have done this on the weekend. They have no business doing something this disruptive during the work day. Downtown is not a prop for pep rally.

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

You sound like an eighty yo Edog! They just closed 4 Ave. doesn’t look like there is any possibility for more people in several locations. I can’t believe there are any kids in school today.

GAM
    Participant

I’m with Edog. I recognize I’m in the minority, and apologies for raining on any parades, but on a weekend a lot of people (like me) who have to go downtown for work could stay away and fewer businesses would be adversely affected.

But I recognize the importance of doing this as soon after the win as possible, and doing this once every, what, 35 years? isn’t going to kill me. I’ll make it home eventually.

briarrose
    Participant

I had a bird’s eye view from the 12 floor at 5th and Yesler. Had the same back in ’79 from the 9th floor at Frederick’s. Great fun and great crowd.

boatgeek
    Participant

According to one source, about 12,000-13,000 SPS students were out of school today (and nearly 500 teachers). That’s about 1/4 of the students all told. I was told (no way to verify) that the total turnout to the parade was something like 700K.

A couple of people from work rode bikes up from Harbor Island to the route and said they got good pics.

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

I went, froze a bit even with 3 layers on. It was a blast even though parade stated almost an hour late ( i went to 4th & Denny which was beginning point of parade). they’re now saying 700K turned out, I believe it. there were people on the rooftop of the 7-11, sitting on chain link fences, one guy even climbed up on top of the walk/don’t walk lights before the police made him get down. I sadly missed the Sonics parade in ’79 due to being still in grade school (principals back then didn’t offer us excused absences if we went), that reminds me of favorite thing i heard after the parade: “Can you believe we have to go back to school now?”. Bus going now was packed, was lucky to get on at all, driver was only taking on as many as got off and not even stopping unless stop was requested by someone already on board. never even saw bus coming home, waited an hour before I gave up and spent $25 on a taxi who took a bit of a scenic route back (aurora bridge, green lake, 65th all the way to 32nd) but I got home long before metro did.

gracie
    Participant

I have never been so cold for so long. I was shivering uncontrollably as were others around me. But once those vehicles approached with the players all cold went out the window. Right now I am finally warm but standing that long (from 9:30 until they showed up at 1:30-ish) I am mighty sore and tired. Was it worth it – oh heck yeah.
    The crowds were amazing, the players when their vehicles would come to stop were signing autographs, pumping up the crowd.

pennygirl
    Participant

To the naysayers. If you actually give a shit about crowds, traffic etc, when something like this happens, you are officially old. My kids were down there and said it was incredible. Go Ingraham for giving the kids an excused absence.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.