Seahawk Celebration Parade – Are you going?

Home Forums Open forum Seahawk Celebration Parade – Are you going?

This topic contains 43 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  GAM 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author

GAM
    Participant

Old? I didn’t feel the need to go with the crowd from a young age, so I don’t think it’s age. Not in my case anyway. But you still may consider me old. I’m good with that.

Happily, despite all the anxious news reports, the bus got me home 15 minutes later than normal. Not even close to a big deal, I’m pleased to report.

And for those who had a blast, more power to ya! Anytime this many people can be happy about something – anything – together, it’s hard to find too much fault in the matter.

pennygirl
    Participant

I think eDog did the get off my yard thing. Anyway, both kids are back now, and they said it was massive.

GAM
    Participant

I’m questioning the 700,000 figure. Usually event organizers have a big number the police have a smaller one. I’d be interested to hear what they say, especially considering how empty downtown was shortly after 5:00. Anyone know how much the Torchlight usually gets? But at the end of the day, it’s still a whole lotta peeps!

Hey, Edog: Get off MY lawn! (I would’ve gotten away with it, if not for you meddling kids!)

Cate
    Participant

Once you get past, say, 250,000, it doesn’t really make any difference how big it is. Kind of like -30 degrees doesn’t really feel colder then -20 degrees.

Allison W
    Participant

Torchlight gets 300k. This was easily twice the crowd.

It was cold, but really fun.

SEdholm
    Participant

Th SPD said 700k, Paul Allen said 1 mil.
    Got down there around 8:30 and froze. Man that was cold. Man that was worth it all. Will never forget yesterday.

Shelley

The best estimates for crowd size are now around 700,000. That’s amazing. If correct, that’s more than the current population of Seattle: http://www.seattle.gov/dpd/cityplanning/populationdemographics/default.htm

Interesting that the cell phone networks were completely saturated at times in the area.

I gave everyone at my two businesses the day off, and I think all but one went to the parade. One guy actually got to 4th at 6 AM and there were already lots of people jostling for position.

SEdholm
    Participant

I was told people were chaining chairs up at 9 pm the night before and the people in front of me got there at 5 am or so. I saw just fine and got there 3.5 hours later if not 4 by the time I actually got to the spot.

gracie
    Participant

The 12’s were loud and proud. Over 700,000 people (estimated about 10,000 at corner where I was). With that crowd not one single arrest made.
    Felt sorry for the kids who were by me and shaking and saying “are they here yet? Can we go home?” A three year old, approx, was on her dad’s shoulders & was shaking like crazy and her lower face was bright red, thin coat on. I was like really?

Edog
    Participant

Well yes, on behalf of all of us who actually work downtown let me say to all you slack jawed rubes from Sultan, Des Moines and Issaquah, get off my lawn!!!

gracie
    Participant

So sorry that we inconvenienced you. Sure it was on everybody’s mind. I work downtown too and it didn’t bother me one bit. My boss let me go down (and I made up the time by staying later).
    Get over it, Edog. You are in the minority of thinking about yesterday. And by the way, thanks for use of “your lawn.”

SEdholm
    Participant

I can say I didn’t hurt anyone being downtown. Grant it, I would have been there anyway. I parked myself 1 block from work. Maybe I did walking to Fado and back to the bus. But doesn’t count

Edog
    Participant

What does being in the minority have to do with it, Gracie? My opinion is mine, it is valid, and I choose to express it. You get over it.

GAM
    Participant

I don’t mind being inconvenienced by the parade as much as I mind the implication that my preferences are invalid.

Edog
    Participant

And who implied that Gam?

GAM
    Participant

That’s how I read Gracie saying “Get over it, Edog. You are in the minority of thinking about yesterday.”. Perhaps that was not her intention.

oldguybc
    Participant

My nephew’s family went from Edmonds on the train, had a great time, froze until the parade got started and everything sort of warmed up, didn’t get home until the wee small hours but like I said, had a memorial time.

GAM… you’re not a bit old, buddy, just gettin’ started.

gracie
    Participant

GAM, it wasn’t my intention. Sorry for misunderstanding. Edog’s feeling about the parade was in the minority as shown by the 700,000 people who showed up.
    Sorry Edog to you too and can see where you felt I was nigating your opinion – which you are certainly entitled to.
    There were even people from Houston, Texas media there. The reporter did her thing right in front of us & asked if we would holler when she finished her statement and said “parade.”

GAM
    Participant

No worries Gracie!

I just saw this article about how many people were really there. Spoiler: Far less than 700K

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2022862108_seahawkscrowdxml.html

Viewing 19 posts - 26 through 44 (of 44 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.