Speechless

Home Forums Open forum Speechless

This topic contains 7 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  teigyr 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

pennygirl
    Participant

Cate
    Participant

I was stunned too at this outcome. The one explanation I heard that made a little sense is that SPD and the city are trying to clean the slate before the new chief starts later this month. I can’t imagine the federal monitors are any to happy over his getting off with no punishment of any kind.

teigyr
    Participant

But didn’t they think he might have had a brain injury before this happened? And if so, don’t we grant other people convicted of crimes the same right? I think it must suck to be SPD right now. Honestly, I have not found them at all any worse than anyone else and I’m not saying that like anyone else is that bad. There are some disturbing trends esp if you are in law enforcement. Some of those are by the people themselves, not the police. Imagine the thought (and having training for this) of having to act like anyone can videotape you at any time — even if it’s not showing the full interaction. You can say “put down your weapon” or whatever, they can try to take yours, and the innocent bystander only records the bit where you take the person down.

I wouldn’t want to do their job. And the ones I’ve met and/or been in neighborhood interactions with aren’t at all cocky or the “I want to beat someone up” type. I think sometimes we are too quick to judge.

Cate
    Participant

What they are saying is that during the “brawl” he sustained a head injury which made him unaware of his actions when he stepped on the victim’s head. But prior to that brawl he had gotten drunk, falsely accused a woman of stealing his jacket and grabbed the woman and violently/physically detained her. The brawl ensued when a bystander came to the woman’s defense. It was at that point that the off-duty officer was hit on the head followed by the bystander being stepped on. If a civilian engaged in those actions while drunk I’m sure they would get taken in and charged with assault. I don’t think anyone would be too concerned about a civilian being hit in the head during a brawl that they caused. He was off duty, in street clothes, from all reports very drunk and the instigator of the whole incident. It IS shocking that he is not being held accountable.

teigyr
    Participant

Wasn’t it that he had the concussion before that? Even if so, if he had a head injury he’d revert back to training. I really think we are 100% too quick to judge, we are equally too quick to agree with the media. It’s all “omg, I can’t believe they do this” without thinking about the other stuff. Granted I only pay attention to one case to the next but, kinda like MB situations, I think it’s maybe a good thing to look at it from all sides. And if he had been a female? Would that had made it different?

So, ok. Y’all realize the media gets a certain percentage of information. In that, the reporters have a certain amount of bias. Most media is regulated, and most media has a bias beyond what the reporter already brings into it.

Am not saying I know. I am just thinking that really, we don’t know. We never do. We judge, we see crap reported and we again judge, but we only see what we are told. I am a child of a person who knew stuff that was a bit skewed in the media – not so much so that it mattered but people got all riled — but still. Think of sources, all alternative situations, whatever. It’s far too easy to get all up in arms without knowing 100% of what it is.

Cate
    Participant

No, the concussion happened during the brawl he instigated. Because of the trial and this investigation the records on this incident are public information, not just media reports. I understand the difficulties of police work and sympathize with their situation of being caught in the middle. But this doesn’t have to do with his police work – he was off duty in a bar. He drunkenly caused a fight. In a city with troubled community relationships between the police and much of the public, his actions only make the situation worse.
    I am very curious as to what will happen in the first few months with the new Police Chief. She is walking into a tough situation.

Ernie
    Participant

Teigyr, this story was widely reported by all kinds of news outlets at the time it happend including eyewitness statements. The guy was drunk, started a confrontation, and when he was challenged he played the “I’m a cop” card. Not at all professional.

The SPD isn’t under the scrutiny of the Justice Dept because of media bias…

teigyr
    Participant

Dang it!!! I actually replied to this but it’s not showing.

Anyway, armchair stuff makes me cranky. It does in sports too – which makes me lots of fun at games :)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘Open forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Advertisement