spring

Home Forums Open forum spring

This topic contains 23 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by  Jonathan 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Life is amazing
    Participant

I see croci in the front yard, daffodils in the back yard and the first blossoms on the plumb trees. Happy sigh.
    You?

Cate
    Participant

And here I thought the plural of crocus was crocuses (have you noticed that croci always come in plural – you never see just one crocus).

I saw some daffodils today – the little white ones that grow in clusters – and what I think was a plum tree in bloom (unlike a plumb tree its branches are bent).

Life is amazing
    Participant

Ha!
    Things are always more interesting sans proof-reading. I like the idea of plumb trees! What a great idea for a sculpture.
    And croci has always been my plural of choice for those happy little flowers. Not my fault the English language is dumb. Crocuses indeed. Its like running too fast down a hill and you cant stop: crocuseseseseseses

Cate
    Participant

Wikepedia says that both crocuses and croci are plural forms of crocus. But the same is not true for octopuses and octopi.

Allison W
    Participant

I took a quick spin down the planet to Flagstaff this week, and today I got a ride from an old friend back to Phoenix instead of flying. The friendship was too old and short-lasted to provide any real footing for conversation, but the topography and the early spring desert color was amazing. The suarro (sp?) cactus were especially cool to see–there is a very specific elevation where they are not there one moment, and then there.

Also, today (on completely manmade snow due to the same low snowpack we are seeing here) skiing down from 11,500 on rental skis, on steeps, on legs and ankles that have not done this due to injury in 6 years…pretty priceless. I have a sunburn.

cdpenne
    Participant

Saguaro cactus – they are pretty cool aren’t they? I was in Phoenix last Thanksgiving. A few of my cousins and one of my Aunts have settled in the Phoenix area and we had a family reunion.

Spring comes pretty early down in Artesia. The fields of alfalfa and hay are already greening up. The pecan orchards are beginning to bud. But next comes the incessant wind and hay fever.

Spring is mixed bag in the southwest. Much like the northwest I guess. Still I’m glad I don’t have to be looking towards July 4th for a nice hot day!

Avocado Head
    Participant

And once again, my personal war on dandelions goes in to full swing!

Life is amazing
    Participant

EMBRACE YOUR WEEDS! ;)

Life is amazing
    Participant

Besides, I bet you dont get those cheery flyers on your door that so kindly offer yardwork done.

oldguybc
    Participant

LIA, keep a smile on your face, a spring in your step, and a crocus in your hair…
    85 in Palm Springs today already…

AprilJoy Greenwell
    Participant

Forsythia in full bloom for this past week. Dafodils up. Three bushes in bloom in the front yard (I don’t know for sure what they are but think they are rhododendrons and an azalea) Nothing on the plums trees yet. A little worried because there was zero fruit last summer but the summer before a bumper crop.Is this normal for plum trees ?

Avocado Head
    Participant

I do really dig the snowdrifts of pink petals as I walk up to Larsen’s for my weekly fix of almond paste. Lookin’ forward to coming weeks.

-Avo

Cate
    Participant

It was light out when I woke up at seven this morning. And it’s still light out at six in the evenings.

Shelley

Won’t be light tomorrow morning at 7.

great idea
    Participant

such a wonderful night to lose that hour of sleep though!

I love the pitter-patter on my rooftop. especially when I think of California.

phoo
    Participant

It has started to be just pre-dawn at the end of my commute in the morning! It’s a nice sight indeed. And this week it will be so strange to drive while it is getting light outside. The streets look so different in the dark than in the light. I take the same route each way and it seems completely different in the daytime.

Life is amazing
    Participant

You too oldguy. :)

oldguybc
    Participant

… and wherever you go, remember…
    don’t walk,
    DANCE- A…

(some DJ down here used to end all his shows with that, appropriate?)

Life is amazing
    Participant

I like it!

Edog
    Participant

The best thing about spring is pretty ladies! Full Stop!

briarrose
    Participant

I painted my toenails in anticipation

briarrose
    Participant

Yes cd spring in the SW is iffy. Winds in Albuquerque can be brutal and we once had snow on April 1. Narcissus were fine of course but as soon as the sun came out my tulips looked like so much used Kleenex.

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

I lived just north of Santa Fe for several months in the late 80s. On Good Friday it snowed for about 6 hrs. ( the temp roof over construction at the Albuquerque airport collapsed from it). The next day I sat in the sun watching the daffodils begin to show themselves as the snow melted. A sight I had never seen before!

Jonathan
    Participant

Heard my first Varied Thrush of the year out near Woodinville. Always a milestone on the way to spring. 9:57am PDT on the 20th.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.