Tater Tots

Home Forums Open forum Tater Tots

This topic contains 63 replies, has 27 voices, and was last updated by  Darth Satan 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 64 total)
  • Author

Avocado Head
    Participant

OK, so Me and Mrs. Avocado have only been in Washington for a year and a half, and we are still wrapping our heads around a few of Seattle’s quirks…

What is the story with tater tots, and the fact that they are on about 80% of the menus we see? Sometimes with different names, but still tots. I honestly don’t think I have seen tater tots on a menu since grade school cafeteria. (Or big white plastic sacks at Grocery Outlet)

What’s the next big food trend, fish stix?

-Avo

Angeline
    Participant

Wait, are you referring to “Mexi-Fries?”

I can still remember the first time I ordered at Taco Time. The veggie burrito and Mexi-fries. So confusing! A burrito with bean sprouts in it, and tater tots. That’s when I knew I wasn’t in Texas anymore…

Avocado Head
    Participant

LOL yes! We tried Taco Time (once) and laughed at the mexi-fries. I’ve seen them called something else too, but can’t quite remember…

-Avo

Rudy
    Participant

Tots are definitely a PNW product (ask Napoleon Dynamite). I think they were first created by the Ore-Ida company (Ore-Ida = Oregon-Idaho).

Avocado Head
    Participant

Ah! Never knew that about Ore-Ida, but of course…

I have to say that the potatoes here are really really good… Trying not to eat them because for the sake of my waistline, either potatoes or beer had to take a time-out, and, well…

Avo

great idea
    Participant

they should make sweet potato tater tots which would taste better and have at least some nutritional value.

I’ve never heard them called mexi-fries before. are they just plain tater tots or is there some chili powder/ jalapeno thing going on?

Rudy
    Participant

Mexi-fries are just tater tots. That fact that you order them alongside a taco is what gives them the ‘Mexi’ moniker.

Mondoman
    Participant

From at least the 50s through the 80s in Mountain View, CA, there was a drive-in restaurant on El Camino called Linda’s whose claim to fame was their “Parisian” burgers (served on a crusty French roll) and their unique “fries” (Tater tots). Fast food looms large in memories of early childhood!
    http://www.ecphorizer.com/EPS/site_page.php?issue=51&page=855

briarrose
    Participant

Where are you eating? I can’t say I have ever seen a tater tot on a menu.

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

they’re just good eats, come in bite size shape and can be made any way you like. Try the Cajun ones at the Spar in Olympia some time, well worth the drive down there.

Laura13
    Participant

Try Tater Tot Tuesday at Zayda Buddy’s. All you have to do is buy a beer (or any other beverage) and you get a free order of tots.

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

Oh weird, I was just reading this article yesterday http://www.seattlemet.com/slideshows/tots-around-the-clock-2014#slide=1

Look at these ones!!!

gracie
    Participant

Saw this and laughed. Just In restaurant and ordered sandwich and on the side big order tater tots. Ate most of sandwich, got doggy bag and brought tots to birds at bottom of 14th nw. Little sparrow, ducks, crows starlings devored them.

Cate
    Participant

It’s a NW thing? Hmm. Didn’t know that. Tater Tots are way better then french fries, particularly Taco Times. Greasy, salty, crunchy – what’s not to love?

Edog
    Participant

I think Oreida sells big frozen bags of escargot too!

Quercus
    Participant

Trader Joes has sweet potato tater tots in the freezer section, or at lest they used to.
    Yum!
    School lunch in Iowa included tater tot casserole at least twice a month.

Laura13
    Participant

@sunsethillguy – All the McMenamins have them! The one in LQA and Six Arms downtown are all way closer than Oly!

@cate – Tots are a Midwest/Minnesota thing too. Have you ever had the “Hot Dish”?

Sunset Hill David
    Participant

The way I understand it, some places like Olaf’s, serve tater tots because they don’t have a deep fryer. Not being able to make fries, they make taters tots, which can be baked or microwaved.

I don’t really like them that much myself

Allison W
    Participant

Pretty sure Olaf’s has a fryer. They also have fried pickles on the menu.

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

Angeline, i ate in Taco Time for the first time last week & was a bit grossed out by the ranch dressing in a taco. I too thought, i am not in Mexico or the East coast!!

As far as Yator Tots, I dont even know what they are! Def never on a menu in the east!!

Edog
    Participant

Is Olaf’s any different than the copper gate, or is just the same place with a new sign?

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

Dont know, but Groupon still thinks they are in business!

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

Laura – thanx for the tip. The Spar is only place I’d seen them before but I’ve not tried any other of the McMenamins places. plus the Spar and my family go back a long ways to when my grandfather worked at a logging camp outside Shelton.

phoo
    Participant

Rudy’s right – this isn’t just a Seattle/Washington thing. People in Portland love their tots too. Though all I can think of when I think of Portland is the amazing almond stuffed bacon wrapped dates I had at a food cart. Yummmm.

I’ve had Olaf’s tots. They are most definitely deep fried. They also make corn dogs, and you pretty much have to deep fry those. There are oven work arounds, but they are clumsy and wouldn’t produce the shape I’ve seen others eating (I also think it would be too big of a pain in the ass for a bar to bake corn dogs!).

Olaf’s is different than copper gate – different owners, different food and philosophy. And I love their burger!

gordy
    Participant

What about Tater Tot casserole? That always seemed like a Midwest/comfort food kind of thing. Basically ground beef, cream of mushroom soup and Tater Tots.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 64 total)

The forum ‘Open forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Advertisement