The cable company phone call

Home Forums Open forum The cable company phone call

This topic contains 15 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  BuffaloHawk 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Shelley

The worst customer service call you’ll ever hear, and it’s with Comcast [Updated]

Someone played this at work this morning and I could swear the guy is the exact same one (accent, vocal mannerisms) who called from Comcast two months ago trying to get me to buy a bundle of service for a LOT more than I’m already paying. He wouldn’t take no for an answer. This call sounds exactly like him, always asking why I don’t want the <insert strawman here>.

Told him I had no TV, so no use for the different cable channels. Told him I don’t have a land line, so no use for the phone package. He kept telling me my cost was going to go up unless I paid more than double my current cost for one of his bundles. I finally hung up after about 5 minutes of badgering while he was in mid-sentence.

Richy
    Participant

Here is the The Huffington Post post (many more comments)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/14/the-comcast-call-from-hell_n_5586476.html

phoo
    Participant

It’s ridiculous customer service, but I’m hoping service like this will push more people to get off cable altogether. As cable has become more and more like a standard service that people pay oodles of money for every month, I’ve watched the content seriously decline. It was always a bit of a treat when I rented a hotel room and could watch all the cable I could soak up. Last time (a couple years ago), there were only a couple channels worth anything, and they had their programming on roughly a 6 hour loop. I do much better now with hulu and netflix (and netflix is declining too). Maybe if comcast sees their customers decline enough, they’ll have to start being nice to them again.

Speaking of poor customer service, I have had a number of century link reps LIE to me. They told me flat out I would get charged one number for service and I got charged something else entirely. This wasn’t just a “taxes and fees” difference, it was a flat out lie and it happened several times. It took a month to finally get my service back to what it should have been (when I asked to have it put back the first time, I actually got downgraded) and another month to get the bill correct. I was sent equipment they knew I didn’t need, they didn’t intend to send it and I refused delivery as they instructed. Come to think of it, I think I finally just called my credit card company after getting hung up on.

In century link’s defense, every time I’ve needed to talk to tech support they’ve been really good – assuming I might know what I’m talking about and just getting me the help I needed. But I want to tell others on here that if a rep offers to help you with your bill, just say NO. In the future, I think I will be quicker to demand a supervisor. That’s how the mess finally got straightened out.

jburgh
    Participant

A big high five (or better yet a cyber bottle of hooch) to anyone who could listen to the whole thing. The Huff updated the story with a Comcast statement saying that Comcast does not train reps to interact with customers in that way. Sure they don’t.

I hope that call makes it all over the internet.

VeganBiker
    Participant

Shelly – thanks for posting that, and I listened to the whole thing! We have Comcast and i have had many a conversation with them regarding unable to connect to the internet etc. They have an amazing number of inept, unqualified people that answer the calls and even the technicians that do house calls are often not trained to handle all situations. Having worked in the tech field for many years installing hardware and software, I often find that i know far more than the people at Comcast that I am talking to! Very frustrating, especially when the are telling me it is something wrong in my house and then half an hour or so after we hang up everything works again although NOTHING changed in my house!
    Anyway I appreciate listening to that call, however I used to have AOL as my provider back in the 90s and I remember calling their customer service and trying to get my account closed as I wanted to use another ISP, it was very much the same hard sell. I wonder if Ryan Block was aware of how bad AOL used to be about cancelling customers accounts back then.

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

Well, I could not torture myself to listen to it all. Dumb a$$hole

Shelley

jburgh, I’m tipping back Maker’s Mark on the rocks tonight.

vegan biker, yeah I definitely remember AOHell trying to get the account cancelled. We were in North Dakota at the time, and there was no phone where we lived (pre cell-phone days and as the phone co said “beyond the last mile”). We drove into Minot and tried mightily to cancel using the pay phone in a diner. We ending up having to contest the charges on the credit card bill. They re-billed every month with non-payment penalty fees added. Ultimately we canceled the credit card. AOL then made an entry on our credit reports. Of course Ryan Block is a johnny-come-lately to AOL.

VeganBiker
    Participant

Shelley – I am glad somebody remembers that AOL.. FYI I am 2 mojitos down, trying to use up the mint in the garden before it goes off.. :)
    Great story BTW.

SEdholm
    Participant

While I didn’t get that when I canceled, I probably got 3 or 4 calls for a week and we had someone stop by in my secure apartment building. I will never go back to them ever again

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

Let’s start calling them Xfinity. They ARE Xfinity. Their game of using our memory of them as “Comcast” when associating the complaints of bad service and trying to gain a fresh viewpoint and association with the name “Xfinity” should not fool anyone.

Complaints are about the company no matter what new name they assume.

Shelley

On the PI website yesterday was a followup to all of this: http://blog.seattlepi.com/techblog/2014/07/23/comcast-memo-retention-rep-from-hell-did-what-we-trained-him-to-do/

“The agent on this call did a lot of what we trained him and paid him —- and thousands of other Retention agents —- to do. He tried to save a customer, and that’s important, but the act of saving a customer must always be handled with the utmost respect. This situation has caused us to reexamine how we do some things to make sure that each and every one of us —- from leadership to the front line —- understands the balance between selling and listening. And that a great sales organization always listens to the customer, first and foremost.”

I like the concept of “save a customer” — sort of like the customer is in peril, we’re doing him a service.

phoo
    Participant

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

I wonder if Mark Driscoll was an intern at Comcast;)

Rudy
    Participant

@buffalohawk, it would seem right that he got his start in hell.

Edog
    Participant

When does it stop being a toy rc airplane and become a drone?

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

This woman reminds me of Michael Douglas in “Falling Down”.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/comcast-rage-customer-pulls-gun-during-technician-93410096124.html

The woman needed service from Comcast, and so she called up for a visit from a tech. When the Comcast tech informed her that her account would incur an extra service charge for his visit, reports Ars Technica, she called Comcast to verify the costs, which it did.

When the customer became upset and refused to agree to pay these fees, the Comcast tech began loading his equipment back into his vehicle, during which time the customer allegedly took a bag of the technician’s tools, brought them into her home, and locked the door. The Comcast agent claims that, when he knocked on the door to ask for the bag of tools — valued at $400 — the customer opened the door, pointed a handgun at his torso, and told him to get off her property.

The Comcast technician complied.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The forum ‘Open forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Advertisement