The e-bike report — 9 months in

Home Forums Open forum The e-bike report — 9 months in

This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  lakreitz 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Shelley

I asked on the old forum way back in April about e-bikes because my beloved ’88 Toyota Corolla had seen the last of its days. A lot of folk commented (Cate, SmartsyArtsy, Mondoman, VeganBiker, dSomers, et al) with helpful advice and good wishes on e-bikes and various and sundry other what-nots. Thanks especially to Vegan Biker, dsomers we carried on an e-mail conversation, I ended up buying an i-path e-bike from a local bricks and mortar institution even though I could have saved $150 buying off the net — that’s only fair after I asked the local e-bike sellers lots of questions they very graciously and patiently responded to. Nine months in to my efforts to eschew the use/ownership of a car, I think I can say it has worked.

Just over 3200 miles logged since then. I have relied on Metro, and Car2Go as a backup. I’ve used Metro for 6 round trips and Car2Go for 3. I also took the Bolt bus to Portland once and Amtrak for another round trip. I own two businesses, one in the U-District and one in the Lake City area. I use the bike to commute to work, shopping errands, and social things. I noticed a pattern shift in the way I use the bike vs the way I used to use the car: lots more consolidation of trips, and plan trips more than I used to. I’m in a lot better shape now, relying on the battery assist when the terrain is challenging or I’ve had a bad day or I’m just plain ole pooped out. I’ve had two flats, worn out 2 tires, and had 2 broken spokes, but other than that no problems. Not aware of any way to figure out the cost of the electricity it uses, but it can’t be very much at all. Ended up buying a rack and waterproof panniers, rain gear, nicer helmet, a more comfortable seat, a ULock a couple of iterations of headlight. No spandex for me ;) The payback period on the investment is going to be definitely less than 2 years based on the insurance, maintenance, fuel, parking for the car. I’m in better shape, and by the time I get home, the worries and cares of the day have gone. Long term, I don’t know I’ll still be able to do this in 10 years, when I’m 74, but definitely like it now.

Miss Wahoo
    Participant

That’s impressive, Shelley. Good for you!

Mondoman
    Participant

That’s awesome! I used to think the electric-assist bikes were a bit over-the-top, but I now see that they’re often just the bit extra that’s needed to make bike commuting practical for ordinary people here in hilly Seattle.

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

Sounds great, Shelley.

Cate
    Participant

Another convert! Yay! I just got a new office in biking distance and my e-bike is moving from an RV to a commenting vehicle too. E-assist is the way to go in hilly Seattle.

Mondoman
    Participant

I thought this blog was your “commenting vehicle”, Cate :)

Cate
    Participant

Geez. I corrected my misspelling of convert but still missed commuting. There is a reason I wasn’t an English major.

saffythepook
    Participant

Well done!

lakreitz
    Participant

Thanks for the update Shelley! You’ve made me interested in the electric bike as a commuter option. I work at the top of Queen Anne. I am also disorganized and rushed in the morning. This has been my excuse for not biking to work. Now, I have fewer excuses.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Open forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Advertisement