The Long March begins

Home Forums Open forum The Long March begins

This topic contains 61 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Edog 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 62 total)
  • Author

Matthew
    Participant

2014 Seattle Mariners “Long March”…more of a sad, inevitable trudge to yet another 90+ loss season, begins anew on Monday evening with the first loss of the season to the Angels.

Is anyone paying attention to them this year?

Edog
    Participant

Yes, for two reasons. One, I want to see how the new manager works out. Two, last year the offense showed more signs of life than it had the previous year and I want to see if that grows.

Matthew
    Participant

Reasonable and understood.

Current manager couldn’t manage the losingest team in baseball over the past decade ( Pirates ).

Dustin Ackerley, Justin Smoak, Nick Franklin. Big league offense?

Um.OK.

2 major league players on this AAA franchise. Felix and Robert ” quarter billion dollar man” Cano.

I go to enjoy drinking beer and watching the ever diminishing number of season ticket holders leave in the 4th inning out of disgust.

2002 Seattle Mariner attendance 3,450,482
    2013 Seattle Mariner attendance 1,761,546

LOL

Ernie
    Participant

1995 Seattle Mariner attendance 1,643,243

Matthew
    Participant

So, using the ( far too often referenced IMHO ) 1995 season as a benchmark, the “professional” MLB franchise Mariners have gained a sum total of 118,000 or so attendees, inspite of the taxpayer funded millionare palace Safeco Field.

The definition of excellence!

At least they are still in 1st place as of this writing!

PS. I wonder what Metro Transit could do with the funds that are earmarked to pay Cano for the next decade? Just sayin’

Edog
    Participant

I think one of the reasons I’m more optimistic than most is that most of the games I saw last year were in July when they were playing pretty good ball.

great idea
    Participant

3-0 with 26 runs scored.

NOW DO YOU BELIEVE???!

Edog
    Participant

What I believe: I don’t expect the Ms to be swept by the As. I mean, the worst case is the Ms will lose no more than 3, which means they will play their first home opener at .571 maybe higher. Lets see what happens to attendance if they manage that small feat!

oldguybc
    Participant

Good start by Mariners, hope they can keep it up… my Giants are now 2-1 after a gem by Old Man Tim Hudson, young man Tim Lincecum going today…

Matthew
    Participant

OK I have to admit I am considering getting in line for bandwagon tickets. 13 walks last night didn’t help much, but hey, it’s a looong season.

Edog
    Participant

Well apparently starting 4-0 is beyond where this club is, which given where things left off last year should not come as a surprise. Still I’ll don’t think they will be swept by the As!

I expect a fun year with the simple goal of ending the season .500 If they only flirt with that, its ok. IMHO a team that plays .475, has youth and a plan for improvement, is worth the price of admission.

Matthew
    Participant

Youth?
    Arguably our best offensive player ( based on past performance that is ) is Robinson Cano, who recently turned 31 and is on game 5 of a 10 year , 240 MILLION dollar contract.

Youth? Well, relative to you and I maybe, but a 31 year old signed for 10 years.

I will eat crow when/if we are celebrating all those World Series victory parades with a 37 year old Robinson Cano leading the charge down 4 th avenue.

LOL
    Um, OK.

Seriously, if the BEST we can aspire to is .500 ball, let’s just play coin toss, or paper rock and scissors. Odds are the same, result is the same, and it costs us all a great deal less money.

great idea
    Participant

well, they are the 9th youngest team of the thirty in the major leagues (28.1 versus 30+ for Yankees, Red Sox).

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/rosters/_/sort/average_age/order/true

I’m more excited for some of the young pitchers who are starting well w/ injuries moving them up in the line-up.

I’ve recently seen lots of crows gathering strips of bark and such to make nests. I will try to catch one for you to eat for that world series parade. poached or roasted?

Matthew
    Participant

Red Sox are defending world series champions.

Mariners ast playoff appearance ( a loss to the Yankees for those of you who may have forgotten) 2001

13 years no playoffs appearances. 3 100 loss seasons 8 90 loss seasons.

Appears neither youth nor veterans can move this dial.

Maybe Richie Sexson is available?!

The level of committment this organization has to playoff appearances is indicated loudly by their recent efforts to surround the 240 million dollar man with talent.

Logan Morrison. Corey Hart. Chris Young

Retreads, reruns and rejects all.

Sad. And yet, I will be there on opening night with my Mariners hat on, and will listen to alot of games, go to several ( can’t ignore the home of the 9 dollar budweiser…someone has to pay for Mr.Cano afterall! )

Cate
    Participant

I’m pretty happy with how this seeing is looking. (4-2 start! WooHoo!). Off to see Cano start tonight. Hoping he’s worth the money paid.

Matthew
    Participant

I was at the opener as well. Cano…1 walk, groundout into a double play, BUT I will say that the opposition keep trying to pitch around him, which clearly is helping the likes of Smoak, etc.

EARLY times, but 5 – 3 looks decent ( with the caveat that poor Dustin Ackerly still looks like a deer in headlights at every at bat…2nd overall pick? )

And so it goes…

Now, when will they find that frickin’ plane?

Matthew
    Participant

Duston Ackerly = Kelly Stouffer

Matthew
    Participant

Just checking in with the more optimistic members of this community as to their thoughts on the current state of the Mariners.

Any observations on the “performance” of Mr.Cano, et al?

How many losses in a row now? 8…ah yes. And yet, I am going to the Businessman’s Special this afternoon. Me and 9 thousand other innocent victims.

Edog
    Participant

I’m still optimistic. Here is why: I don’t have high expectations for them this year but expect to see something they can build around by the end of the season. This team will be streaky! They are very weak on defense, and not mature enough at bat. Again I would be happy if they finished between .475 and .500

Random thoughts about things about the season: The team’s strength in the long run is offense. On that point, their youth is too young so expect offensive slumps that will expose how weak they are on defense.

As for last night’s loss: McHugh turned in a great performance for Houston. There is no shame to have the bats go quiet facing a guy who looked that good. Ramirez, who never looks good to me, looked exceptionally bad early! You can’t have one guy be the wild, against a guy putting on a clinic of control and expect to win. I don’t know why Hart went for second on what was obviously a base hit. Still it’s nice to see that kind of speed from your DH, but down 2 with a I think one out, I would rather have had the base hit.

SEdholm
    Participant

While we are missing 3/5 of our rotation, we are off to the same start we have had the last 3 seasons. Buckle up, going to be another long year unless they turn it around soon.

Matthew
    Participant

Ok. If the aspirations for this sorry team is to finish no better than .500, I am with ya!

Hell, if we draw that analogy along, then kids should just shoot for a C average at school, and write it off to being “young”. ;-)

That said, do you honestly believe that the future of this team is held by borderline major league players like Smoak, Ackerly and the long slumping, and clearly diminshed Kyle Seager?

Edog
    Participant

Talk your mess bout Seager now, Fool!

Matthew
    Participant

Point well made, but one game not a season makes I am afraid to say.

Edog
    Participant

P.S. I meant that as endearingly endearing as possible, Fool!

On the other point, agreed but Seager is a great example the bugaboo currently facing the Mariners. A lot of potential in their young hitters, but I think these guys did not percolate long enough in the minors so expect to see some real streakiness as they figure things out. And this relates to your constant downing of Smoltz. If these other guys can mature constructively it changes how Smoltz fits in the lineup.

Alas, pitching is what really brings me down on these guys.

Matthew
    Participant

Thank you for clarifying your insult. I feel better about myself now.

In other news, I am assuming you mean ” Smoak” ( as opposed to Smoltz, who I have no beef with whatsoever. Hall of Fame pitcher, who never played for the Mariners.)

Smoak and Ackerly ( in particular ) I have a large beef with. Neither would look good at the plate in AAA. Dustin just doesn’t have it, notwithstanding the high aspirations that existed for the man. Smoak is right up there as well. They stagger to the plate looking like AA kids, and perform the same way. I was behind home plate yesterday ( Section 134 ) and watched both closely. Dustin is just lost up there, and equally lost in the outfield ( although Almonte’s error in center field was laughable, and the crowd booed the M’s off the field after that POS.)

Kyle Seager’s BA since the all star break last year .111. Professional hitter? Not so much, 2 HR’s in yesterdays daytime drinking festival duly acknowledged.

Trader Jack Z? LOL um OK.

BTW, Cano looks like he is taking BP with Ackerly lately. Hope he is enjoying cashing those bi-weekly paychecks of 385,000 dollars.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.