The Long March begins

Home Forums Open forum The Long March begins

This topic contains 61 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Edog 4 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 62 total)
  • Author

Edog
    Participant

Yes, Smoak! I pity the fool that I am! The funny thing is when you describe how out of place they look, I don’t necessarily disagree with you. I mean, a good handfull of them should still be in AAA. I just don’t see it as a train wreck. I mean, look at where this team has been… What else can they do?

Matthew
    Participant

Definition of trainwreck

trainwreck

noun
    •a total failure.
    This project is a trainwreck.
    ◦See more words with the same meaning: to lose, be defeated, fail.

Edog
    Participant

I see it as more of a remediation of a contaminated site.

Edog
    Participant

Christ that win today was painful. This bullpen is weak!

Matthew
    Participant

I think it’s more a matter of overworked, esp. Rodney. It takes dedication and effort to keep loading up the bases like that!

Cate
    Participant

It’s a start.

Shelley

Oh dear, they seemed to start well. Maybe they’ll continue on their current upward trajectory. Just hoping the M’s games I take my employees and families to this summer are interesting. Last year all three were lopsided victories for the other team. One employee thought we jinxed ’em. I have always enjoyed close, hard played games, which could go either way, even in the last at bat.

Completely arbitrary (Sunday afternoon games) choices this year:
    July 27th: Orioles
    August 10th: White Sox
    August 31st: Nationals

Edog
    Participant

gracie
    Participant

The Mariners – at this point – are doing really well. Heard if they win both games tonight they will be in 1st. Hope that was good info. Amazing how much the athletes are paid.

Edog
    Participant

Coach to the mound, coach to the mound
    games tied up, looking like a fool with your pants on the ground.

Edog
    Participant

Edog
    Participant

greenwoodjon
    Participant

And 2nd place in the West standings

oldguybc
    Participant

Giants are in 1st at 22-13, last night’s win over the HATED Dodgers was epic! Ms are in the toughest division in baseball IMHO, hanging on to 2nd, pretty damn good once again IMHO…

teigyr
    Participant

No, the Dodgers are not hated! I have three jerseys – two are Edgar Martinez and one is Mike Scioscia. I also like the Giants. In a normal game situation, I’d probably have to root for the Dodgers but if it were important…I don’t know. I like them both. I grew up with the Dodgers but the Giants have a quality I greatly admire. Despite the fact I’m a Dodgers person, I will be doing the Giants race at AT&T park (Sept I think it is?) and plan on doing all three races in ’15 so I get a super special present.

I don’t get the love one team hate the other team thing.

Edog
    Participant

Sometimes that kind of thing grows on you because like the 49ers suck balls, and other times your are born with it like directions to Michigan, north until you smell it, west until you step in it.

Edog
    Participant

Kyle Seager All-Star!!!

greenwoodjon
    Participant

If the season ended today, the Mighty M’s would be in the playoffs!

teigyr
    Participant

Yeah, go Kyle!!! I am happy for him. Same goes for Jeter too….last season and he deserves it.

Matthew
    Participant

Somehow I knew there would be more comments on this thread as this surprising season unfolds.

I fully admit to being shocked at the performance of the Mariners, so far. Indeed, if the season did end now, the Mariners would qualify for the 2nd wildcard spot. ( Be thankful that there IS a 2nd wildcard spot! )

However, I may gently remind everyone that the season is, in fact, not over, and 71 games remain to be played. That said, kudos to the organization for coming thru so well so far.

( Catty remarks still about the play of Smoak, now in the minors, and the 2nd coming himself, Dustin , however.)

Going to the game tomorrow evening in fact. Go M’s!

teigyr
    Participant

You know though…people are fickle. This is a football town, I don’t know why. The Seahawks can do no wrong. We had a basketball team that won, nobody cared. We have a WNBA team that won, nobody cared. We’ve gone to M’s games every year. It’s interesting to see the progression and sometimes it’s not about winning – it’s about seeing how the team is playing and what decisions they’re making. An interesting game doesn’t necessarily mean a win.

That being said, I wish we had a minor league team here. I mean we have Tacoma and I love that. We have Everett. Both of those places are not easy to get to using public transport. We have cars….we also drink beer at games and therefore don’t drive. We’ve had more fun at Tacoma though and have seen some pretty major players while they do rehab there.

Ernie
    Participant

As a kid in Bellingham we went to the “Baby M’s” games at Civic Field when they were the Mariner’s farm team. Fun, cheap, and always great seats.

Sunset Hill David
    Participant

It is a football town, because for many years the Huskies were pretty much it around here. The Sonics were strongly supported when they were vying and winning the Championship. I remember when the Kingdome was filled with 30,000 people watching basketball. And then the M’s had their glory years when they were contending and featured players like Griffey, Randy, and A-Rod. They were getting 3 million a year in attendance. So yes, this city will support football, basketball, and baseball if there is a good team to attract them. I think the main theme here is that there is lots to do in this city, particularly in the summer, so a bad team isn’t going to convince people to leave the water or the mountains to watch them.

Edog
    Participant

I think the main theme here is that there is lots to do in this city, particularly in the summer

This is a key point. In other cities, where people are known for being more “supportive”, its because there is nothing else to do. Both Alabama and Ohio State have had 90,000+ people show up at the spring scrimmage for football, as if it matters whether Scarlet beats Gray, or Crimson beats Ivory.

Matthew
    Participant

Agree to all points. Another point to note ( at least IMHO ) is that Seattle is very much a transient city. Meaning, at least a significant plurality of folks that live here were born somewhere else, and are therefore not steeped in long traditions and family relationships to sports franchises.

Also of note that both the Hawks and Mariners ( and even the gone but not forgotten Sonics ) were/are very young franchises, and as such have relatively young fan bases.

If you were born before 1977, you didn’t grow up the teams. I was in Philadelphia for a Thursday night NFL game a couple of seasons ago, and the people beside us were 4 generations of Eagles fans. That clearly doesn’t exist here. It most likely will, but it doesn’t now.

In other news, I went to the last 2 M’s losses against the Twins. A double ouch. THe long march continues!

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 62 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.