The truth about Nickelsville

Home Forums Open forum The truth about Nickelsville

This topic contains 9 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  JM98107 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

All along, the city has argued that the three pending city-sponsored encampments are needed so more people can have shelter and move off the streets. But we’ve learned that Nickelsville is simply moving its existing encampment to Ballard from its current location in the International District because they need to be out by Oct. 31.

So if you were hoping that this would be an encampment that would help homeless people already living on the streets of Ballard, it won’t. It’s just moving existing campers from one area of the city to another.

Rather than focusing on policies that can help reduce chronic homelessness, the city is just rearranging deck chairs. The city has not been fully honest about what the Ballard encampment is. It’s not the coming of winter that’s driving this urgency for an encampment in Ballard – it’s Nickelsville needing to move from its current location. This just underscores that the city is not serious about addressing homelessness – or about being honest with communities about what it’s doing.

Edog
    Participant

Wow Rose, great work! Sounds like the people leading the war on Christmas are opening a new front by attacking Halloween! Get the torches, release the hounds, and whatever you do, DON’T TELL ME TO SHUT UP!

JM98107
    Participant

Well yes, we suspected the nickels shacks would be moving to Ballard.

Anonymous

That’s not what I thought, JM. I thought this would be a new camp, since that’s how the city framed it. But it’s not going to serve any additional people at all. The city is just shuffling the deck chairs. I haven’t heard or seen anything to suggest that the city is at all serious about taking steps to reduce homelessness, especially chronic homelessness.

Edog, let me know when you have something meaningful to contribute or want to have a real conversation about this issue. Until then, I’m tuning you out.

Edog
    Participant

As long as you don’t tell me to shut up, you can do anything you want!

JM98107
    Participant

Just look at what a homeless camp did to the former Seattle Times office building. It was third-world living conditions on Fairview Ave. They tore-up the offices, ripped out the plumbing, left syringes everywhere and defecated throughout the building. These are bums/criminals that are making-up their own rules. It’s a big mistake to encourage the shiftless freeloaders.

Anonymous

Now now, JM, you mustn’t stereotype.

NWCitizen
    Participant

CR – Can you tell us where/from whom you learned this?
    Thanks!

Anonymous

Hi NWCitizen – I heard this someone who has been directly involved with the committee that’s been working with the city to find an alternate site in Ballard.

JM98107
    Participant

Info, about the move. could be found on the nickelsville web site awhile back.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.