Uff da! 500,000 square feet of office space planned for Ballard

Home Forums Open forum Uff da! 500,000 square feet of office space planned for Ballard

This topic contains 46 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  portland 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
  • Author

Marigold
    Participant

Edog
    Participant

Is this really still a Scandinavian enclave?

cdpenne
    Participant

Remember that water front “promenade” I mentioned back in 09 in a thread about the bike path, the train, the old Ballard industries, the Fred Meyer, etc. etc. etc. Here is another prediction – Fisherman’s Terminal will no longer be Fisherman’s Terminal within 10 years, or it will be in name only because it will be full of sail boats and maybe a few sport fishing tourist boats. As one industry leaves, I suppose another will have to replace it. This is good news for Bellingham and Port Townsend. I’m guessing that the last of the stringent hold outs at Salmon Bay Sand and Gravel will see the writing on the wall too. Is it too soon to by roller blades?

great idea
    Participant

this is an interesting article– in particular because it is the Stimson family (of marina fame) who you would think would fight against gentrification of industrial fishing jobs.

I think we need more office space in ballard, so this is probably not a bad thing.

does this mean the missing link will be finished? (sarcasm)

Crownhiller
    Participant

I know I’m in the minority on this, but I think I’m going to stop reading local news – every day this kind of story (like the Ivars one on front page) just depresses me more and more. Don’t tell me – I know I know – progress is a good thing. Density uber all. I understand the thinking/motivations. I have just come to the realization that I am personally not cut out for the kind of city Seattle (and especially the Ballard area) is becoming.
    Thankfully, the moving plans are already afoot – 2 years and counting…

boatgeek
    Participant

Maybe I’m a “It’s not in my backyard” (INIMBY?) guy, but I don’t really see the issue with this. The marina is staying. The buildings to be torn down are currently office buildings, to be replaced with other, larger office buildings. Presumably, they could even build on current parking lot so that businesses could move from an existing building to a new one without even breaking stride. No industrial buildings are going to be displaced. If the land is zoned for maritime businesses (I forget the actual designation), Stimson would probably have to rent a certain percentage of the space to maritime people, so Trident and the other groups might well stay.

Sure, there will be some parking impacts, but Stimson could even build a parking garage structure on the site if they wanted. Chances are, they could make a killing on $2 parking for Ballard Sunday Market.

I could see the problem with SBSG going away, or Pacific Fishermen Shipyard (although the PFS general manager is such a jerk I wouldn’t cry too hard about that even). But office space turning into more office space, giving the neighborhood something to focus on besides condos and bars? Doesn’t seem so bad.

briarrose
    Participant

Ivar’s = no loss. Techies on the Canal = a nightmare.

At its height around 1900 there were only about 30% Scandinavians in Ballard.

Matthew
    Participant

Memo to all : Ballard Ivars has only been in that location since 1980. Hardly a heritage business.
    Should we memorialize the crappy Taco Bell on the same block?
    Maybe the Burger King is the next to go. Or playground Macdonalds?

Neighbourhoods must change/evolve to stay relevant, or they whither and become urban ghettos. There is ample evidence of this, even in our fair city.

Fair comment on not enjoying the densification. Moving is an option, but be wary of the ” it must be better somewhere else” as it rarely turns out that way, from what I have seen.

On a related note, PLEASE pass the transit issue. We ALL benefit from it.

Mondoman
    Participant

Since that’s about halfway up Shilshole, it looks like it would have enormous rush-hour traffic impact there. Maybe it’s finally time to make Shilshole a 4-lane road (2 each way).

Matthew
    Participant

Techies= solid, good paying professional jobs.

Maybe this will move the city to pave Shilshole properly. Oh wait, we can’t afford to pave the streets in Seattle.

I keep forgetting we are destitute.

briarrose
    Participant

I appears that Matt is too young to remember the dot.com burst.

There is a reason the amazon folks are called amholes by those who run service businesses in South Lake Union. Those in Fremont feel the same.

Matthew
    Participant

55 years old.

Original dot com employee ( started in june 99 ). Have been through 2 dot com busts, laid off hundreds ( if not thousands ) over the past 15 years.

Sorry to pin your balloon there.

Wife works in South Lake Union. If not for Amazon/Micosoft/Google/Facebook/AppNexus/Allrecipes/Marchex etc employees, capitalization and taxes paid, MANY aspects of our comfortable urban life/bubble we all enjoy known as Seattle would simply not be here.

Yes, being 20 something and earning a decent wage with a decent future ahead of oneself may lend itself to some attitude issues.

Somehow, am sure you didn’t have those issues.

Regarding Fremont, I lived on a housebarge in Fremont under the northend of the Aurora Bridge for 12 years. When I moved in, “old” Fremont consisted of rat infested, burn hazard abandoned warehouses, crappy bars and minimal job opportunities.

Someone please tell me how Fremont is “worse” off now? I can tell you as a member of that community that it is FAR better off now than it was 12 years ago, let alone 25 years ago.

Crownhiller
    Participant

Never said Ivars was a “landmark” – just like the people. Its not any ONE project/building/place that gets me – it’s the entire trend of density/in-fill/development. To each their own.

I have lived many places before coming to Seattle in 2005 to be with my then fiancé. We’re going back to a place I’ve lived before and know well, so there will be few surprises. Of course places change. But that doesn’t mean I have to like those changes, and if I don’t like them, then I have 2 clear choices – stay and whine in a miserable way about the mythical “good old days” or leave and be happier. Life is far too short to put up with things that make one miserable.

Matthew
    Participant

Very well reasoned and communicated. I do know that Ballard will be a lesser place when you and your family move on.

In the interim, appreciate the civil dialogue and openess. I need to learn from you ( seriously).

Thanks!

great idea
    Participant

I was a bit taken aback by your comment boatgeek regarding the PFS general manager.
    then I saw this bit in the Ballard Tribune about how he thinks that little bike race they hold once a year on a Saturday afternoon is going to ruin the fishing industry:

http://www.ballardnewstribune.com/2014/04/09/news/annual-ballard-criterium-has-maritime-industry-wo

he sure does sound like a big jerk.

Cate
    Participant

So Dixon goes on in the article about how the supposed impact is going to be worse this year because of the Siphon project and the closures on Shilshole. Only he comes off like a real *ss since Shilshole reopened on April 04. If Ballard Tribune had any journalistic chops they would have called him out on that since they wrote the earlier article about Shilshole re-opening.

VeganBiker
    Participant

FWIW – I believe that this construction will be the beginning of the end of the fight from the “Ballard Appellate’s” in their fight to stop the completion of the Burke Gilman Trail. Well that is my hope. More bike riding and less driving cars..

Mondoman
    Participant

That’s sure a blingy bike, VB, but in a sort of modern minimalist way.

Ernie
    Participant

GI, I happened to be cc’d, along with Boatgeek (I think) and a couple hundred other maritime industry folks and Seattle government officials on the email mentioned in the BNT article. I actually don’t think I’ve ever seen an email with so many recipients on it before, in fact it’s probably worth something as a mailing list for the WA/AK maritime industry.

Anyway if anyone is interested, here’s the full text of the email exchange (addresses redacted):

Subject: RE: Ballard Bike Race Notification

Your statement that “It’s seems as though we had a communication lapse last year” is sickenly true.

Your Bicycle race could not come at a worse time again this year, shutting down freight mobility on a Designated Major Truck Street that needs to be open 24/7.
    This is a critical time for the fishing fleet to load provisions and heavy equipment preparing to leave for the summer salmon, cod and pollock seasons.
    Last year you adversely affected many, many businesses and people’s lives, both financially and personally.
    This year with the Ballard Siphon Project reroute of Shilshole to Ballard Avenue, it will be impossible.

Please consider re-locating or at a bare minimum.
    By copy of this email to SDOT we ask for a review of the process under which this Street Use Permit has been granted.

If your race unfortunately proceeds on your schedule, please ensure you inform the SPD on-site officers that the freight corridor will be open until 2 PM.
    SPD shut down the freight corridor at approx 10 AM last year and were quite rude about, it despite your published 2 PM closure, that had extremely limited distribution.
    When we showed them your notice and requested passage prior to 2 PM, they asked us if we would like to go to jail for criminal trespass.

Pacific Fishermen Shipyard and PFI Marine Electric
    Doug Dixon, General Manager
    5351 24th Ave NW
    Seattle, WA 98107
    http://www.pacificfishermen.com

Sent: Friday, March 28, 2014 9:58 AM
    To: Doug Dixon; Jeremy McWhirter
    Subject: Ballard Bike Race Notification

Hello Pacific Fisherman Shipyard & Electric,

I’m writing to give you a heads up on when we are planning to run the Second Ascent Ballard Bike Race in your area. The date we have scheduled for this year is Saturday June 7th. The race course remains the same with it being a circular course going from Dock St., West up Ballard Ave, heading back down Vernon to Shilshole Ave and then back west to Dock St. Those streets will be closed from 2 pm to 9pm on that day.

It’s seems as though we had a communication lapse last year and it’s important to us to maintain good relations with the business that are affected by the road closure. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me.

We will also personally stop by this afternoon to drop off the notification packet and answer any question you might have.

Nik Rebhuhn
    Stepdown Racing

Mondoman
    Participant

Given the apparent bad feelings last year, I would have tried to notify in person, then send a follow-up email afterwards, rather than the reverse. Oh, well.

boatgeek
    Participant

I dunno, Mondo. Either way, the race organizers tried to reach out and got slapped in the face, with a cc to 300+ people. I can certainly understand bad feelings from last year, with streets closed for 4 hours longer than they should have been. He could have expressed that and a hope that this year would be different without being such a jackass. Even worse, it’s counterproductive. What incentive do the race organizers have to try to work with him now? No matter what they do, they can expect to get a slap for their efforts.

But for someone who actively participates in the Syttende Mai parade to complain about street closures is pretty hypocritical. Plus, if a business can’t schedule around an afternoon/evening closure on a Saturday when given two months notice, I’m not sure they really belong in business.

I know the maritime industry has special needs, especially near a season opening. I want the maritime industry to stay in Ballard, partly because that industry pays my mortgage. But I also don’t think that this should trump everybody else’s right to use the streets occasionally.

oldguybc
    Participant

I think Ballard started going downhill when they took the X- ray machine out of the shoe store on Ballard & Market (Thom McAn??)

Cate
    Participant

Mondo – I really don’t think Dixon is upset because of the timing of how he was informed, or even because of last year’s oversight in informing him. I don’t even think he is upset because the police closed the streets four hours early last year (if that is what upset him he’d be complaining to the police not SDOT and the ride organizers). He’s not really upset about community events causing short-term street closures either or he wouldn’t be a long term participant in Syttende Mai. This is only about bikes and bicyclists. He doesn’t want them on Shilshole, for any reason.

Anonymous

Interesting story. That would be a huge development that would radically change that strip. I bet the developers wouldn’t have trouble finding tenants.

I didn’t see mention in the story about what might happen to Stimson Marina, though.

Ernie
    Participant

Cate nailed it.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)

The forum ‘Open forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Advertisement