Uff da! 500,000 square feet of office space planned for Ballard

Home Forums Open forum Uff da! 500,000 square feet of office space planned for Ballard

This topic contains 46 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  portland 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author

briarrose
    Participant

“Have been through 2 dot com busts, laid off hundreds ( if not thousands ) over the past 15 years.”
    “Yes, being 20 something and earning a decent wage with a decent future ahead of oneself may lend itself to some attitude issues.”
    And in the same post no less. TOOOOO funny.
    “old” Fremont consisted of rat infested, burn hazard abandoned warehouses, crappy bars and minimal job opportunities.”
    This is of course from the same person who is unable to find anything to eat at Safeway.

I am trying very hard to think of anything in my ‘urban lifestyle” that is better due to techies. Can’t think of a thing.

61stMama
    Participant

I don’t know — I think the unease with this event vs. Syttende Mai sounds pretty understandable, actually. If it closed down a main arterial for the bulk of a Saturday during prime business season for that industry, with no understanding or support from community policing about actual permitted time allocations, that sounds like reason to be quite upset. And the bike race organizers loosely referring to last year’s painful business disruption as a “communication lapse” without offering any apology, might have come across as an incendiary, passive-aggressive start to the conversation.

I am a strong proponent of the bike trail and I have little background as to this company’s involvement in holding back its progress, but it seems far too black and white to lump this event in with that topic. The Syttende Mai parade seems to run like clockwork each year, with a very predictable window of evening time where the street is closed only just before the event actually occurs (not 4 hours prior!). So I can understand why they would support one event and not the other. The bike race is a cool but very niche event and it sounds like they need to really get their ducks in a row with timing and policing and such if they are going to steam ahead with an annual big block of street closure time in such a congested little community area.

Marigold
    Participant

As an end user of technology that these “techies” create, I can think of lots of ways my urban lifestyle has been enhanced by their work.

But I like the maritime industry too, so let’s hope for peaceful equilibrium.

Regards,
    Marigold
    (Proud owner of a smartphone loaded with apps and a fierce appetite for salmon.)

Mondoman
    Participant

A smartphone with a fierce appetite for salmon — neat! :)

BR – you get to post with a cool avatar due to techies :) (even if I don’t always appreciate the content of the post)

61st mama — your theory makes more sense to me than just pigeonholing people into bike haters and lovers.

Achoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! My allergies are having a big party!!

saffythepook
    Participant

“I am trying very hard to think of anything in my ‘urban lifestyle” that is better due to techies. Can’t think of a thing.”

Ironically posted to an internet forum.

briarrose
    Participant

Are we to assume then that you think this site is an improvement in my life?

pennygirl
    Participant

I tend to agree with Briar Rose. I’m not sure that the internet/smartphones are an improvement in anyone’s life. Granted, they now seem to be a necessity, but for the better? I’m not sure. We all survived pre-tech.

Ernie
    Participant

“Tech” workers don’t need to justify their existance, the world’s insatiable desire for the latest app or gadget does that, regardless of whether a few people think it is necessary for their individual happiness or not.

saffythepook
    Participant

You continue to participate so it either has value to you or you’re a masochist. Even if the latter, it would have some perverse value to you.

great idea
    Participant

did you just call briar a ‘technological pervert’?

great idea
    Participant

(blink)

Mondoman
    Participant

Say quois?

briarrose
    Participant

Ernie I never ask anyone to justify his or her existence. I just find techies obnoxious.

briarrose
    Participant

Saff I doubt you will understand but here goes. There are many things I do not like in which I still participate. I loathe the way we work today but still work. I like to eat you see and prefer to live with a roof over my head.
    Communication has suffered terribly over the years. Too many people fear speaking out other than in anonymous forums so I frequent them. A case was recently won against a large hospital that attempted to force employees to act only in a ‘positive’ manor and never say anything bad about their place of work.
    Sadly people today will not talk about much of anything anymore except the inane and mundane. Seattle is one of the worst places for that in the country. It’s now considered politically incorrect to talk about something that might upset someone else. I can’t understand that sort of thinking at all. Really I suppose it is NOT thinking. It’s following. Seattle has become one paranoid places to live and work.
    The definition of tolerance has been bastardized into the idea that we can never question others. I have no issue with whatever you choose to do or think but I also reserve the right to tell you that I think you’re wrong. People today NEED to be challenged to think. Unless there is communication they never will. Since the internet is really the only communication going, I involve myself. I would prefer something different but one uses what exists.

Saff I doubt you will understand but here goes. There are many things I do not like in which I still participate. I loathe the way we work today but still work. I like to eat you see and prefer to live with a roof over my head.
    Communication has suffered terribly over the years. Too many people fear speaking out other than in anonymous forums so I frequent them. A case was recently won against a large hospital that attempted to force employees to act only in a ‘positive’ manor and never say anything bad about their place of work.
    Sadly people today will not talk about much of anything anymore except the inane and mundane. Seattle is one of the worst places for that in the country. It’s now considered politically incorrect to talk about something that might upset someone else. I can’t understand that sort of thinking at all. Really I suppose it is NOT thinking. It’s following. Seattle has become one paranoid places to live and work.
    The definition of tolerance has been bastardized into the idea that we can never question others. I have no issue with whatever you choose to do or think but I also reserve the right to tell you that I think you’re wrong. People today NEED to be challenged to think. Unless there is communication they never will. Since the internet is really the only communication going, I involve myself. I would prefer something different but one uses what exists.

Matthew
    Participant

Quality response Briar. Appreciate the thoughtful comments, which I will take to heart and act on. I apologize if I offended you, or anyone on this thread.

Thank you for clarifying things for me, and everyone else. It’s appreciated.

briarrose
    Participant

I don’t believe that it is possible to offend me. I do however offend myself with double posting and terrible spelling. It’s called not paying attention.

Mondoman
    Participant

It’s now considered politically incorrect to talk about something that might upset someone else.

From what I’ve seen, it’s more that it’s PI to express an opinion that doesn’t align with the all-pervasive “progressive” groupthink that passes for public policy and politics here. Not sure what that has to do with techies, though.

Ernie
    Participant

From what I’ve seen, it’s more that it’s PI to express an opinion that doesn’t align with the all-pervasive “progressive” groupthink that passes for public policy and politics here.

Yes, a common sentiment among people who hold opinions that most people don’t agree with.

Luckily there are numerous outlets on the internet, cable tv, and radio where one can lose oneself in the warm embrace of the conservative groupthink that passes for politics and public policy throughout much of the country.

Mondoman
    Participant

Hah, I don’t think the folks in Boston would like you telling them that they’re in the “embrace of the conservative groupthink”. Some might even whack you over the head with a lobstah.

saffythepook
    Participant

BR,

Maybe I just don’t understand but I interpret your statement that “Too many people fear speaking out other than in anonymous forums so I frequent them” as, “I fear speaking out other than in anonymous forums so I frequent them.”

Sad, really.

briarrose
    Participant

Hmmm odd that you might think what I post means the opposite. Did you perhaps get a psych degree from Home Shopping Club?

portland
    Participant

Too bad for the boat tenants of Stimson Marina if they did not know of the massive upcoming changes affecting the marina. Wonder if management disclosed their plans to these renters prior to signing leases. Crownhiller, I share your views. Ballard news is depressing.

Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)

The forum ‘Open forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Advertisement