Uma Thai is no more?

Home Forums Open forum Uma Thai is no more?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  boatgeek 5 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Angeline
    Participant

Of far greater concern to my family than the demise of Paseo, it seems that Uma Thai may be out of business. We’ve tried to go twice and found it closed. Now they are not answering the phone. We will really, really miss that place. Last time we walked over to Jahnjay, which I know is a favorite for many here. Sorry to say, to us it was nowhere near as good as Uma and quite a bit pricier as well. Maybe showing up on the late side on a weeknight is not the best test of a restaurant. We used to be Kwanjai fans but a more recent takeout from there was just OK. Tonight we are giving Chiles Paste in Fremont a try-out.

What is your go-to Thai? We need a place that will make the noodle dishes very mild, yet still flavorful, for half the family. And very spicy curries for the other half.

Angeline
    Participant

Chiles Paste review: Curries were very good. Definitely would go back. Noodles not as much — good enough for a Sunday night dinner when your’re STARVING, MOM, but not great. Phad Thai not flavorful enough. Phad See Iew over salted and eggs a little overcooked.

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

I love Thai Tom in the U District

http://www.yelp.com/biz/thai-tom-seattle

phoo
    Participant

Thai Siam, around 85th/15th. I don’t know firsthand if they make it very mild, but I assume so because that’s how most Seattle-ites like it. But they can make it scorching if you so desire. I’m not a big curry fan, so I couldn’t speak specifically to that dish.

Laura13
    Participant

Thai Siam!
    They are the sweetest people and everything they serve is excellent. We walk down there for lunch/dinner and have attended their benefit dinner buffet for the past 4 years. I have heard people ordering 0-stars, so they can accommodate.
    Their curries are great, red is my favorite.
    If you are a spice fiend like me, order the Flaming Dragon Prawns. They are the hottest thing on the menu and cannot be returned if you don’t like them. Embrace the sparkly, esophageal pains! Yum.

http://www.thaisiamrestaurant.com/

calliope
    Participant

i order delivery from mae ploy on 15th and 65th all the time- (have never set foot inside).
    dinner for 3 including rice and apps is around $60. http://www.maeployballard.com/

i’ve had siam, also good, but i can’t tell the difference and i think mae ploy is cheaper (plus they deliver w/in 3 miles).

phoo
    Participant

I’ve done both thai siam and mae ploy. I think thai siam is better, but often end up with mae ploy because they deliver (and they are walkable from me). They are still good, but once I was unable to convince her that I really did want the dish 4 star spicy. The next time I got my palate searing wish. :) They are really nice at Mae Ploy.

phoo
    Participant

Oh, the place up on 67th/Phinney I was really impressed with their pad see ew. They use gai lan instead of american broccoli. My friend was less impressed, but you can definitely get spicy food there. They don’t deliver and don’t have parking, so my trips up there have been limited since it means walking from here. BTW, they aren’t fusion anymore. Their menu was adjusted to be geared towards more authentic and street food iirc.

Salmon Bay
    Participant

Mae Ploy has always scared me. They’re always empty. Perhaps they do a booming delivery business, I had no idea they delivered. I’ll have to give them a try sometime.

boatgeek
    Participant

Our go-to is Chada Thai out at 125th and Greenwood. A little further, but you get lots of whole galangal root and lemongrass in the tom kha soup. Nice people, good curries, my daughter’s favorite phad thai in the whole world, and they’ll make it hot for you if you want!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘Open forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Advertisement