Updates to the "Missing Link"

Home Forums Open forum Updates to the "Missing Link"

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Cate 5 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

VeganBiker
    Participant

New changes are coming to the Shilshole and 45th NW intersection.
    It appears, from the white markings on the road surface, that SDOT will soon install two islands at this intersection, so that if you are driving a vehicle towards FM you will have to start to turn to the left on to 46th then make a slower right turn onto Shilshole to continue on to 45th. Bikes can still go straight. This will slow down the east bound traffic under the Ballard Bridge. They are also installing fixed yellow bollards that will try to stop vehicles from travelling west bound on this section.

Comments?

cdpenne
    Participant

Cate
    Participant

VB – Is this as confusing to ride/drive as it sounds to me? Guess my bike and I will have to go take a look in a couple of days.

VeganBiker
    Participant

Cate – I believe that if you are riding a bike you will soon be able to figure out where you are supposed to ride, but in a vehicle I think it might be more confusing until they get the raised “islands” installed. And yesterday I still saw a person drive the wrong way towards Ballard from the parking lots under the bridge! It will take time for everyone to get used to the changes.

Mondoman
    Participant

It looks like one or two of the skinny yellow bollards have already given up their lives futilely trying to block misguided cars.

As you note, there are cars entering the roadway midway through the stretch that then head west. I wonder if SDOT has the money to paint additional markings or install “Wrong Way” signs on the bike side, since at first glance it can still look like a single car lane.

Gurple
    Participant

I bike this every day. I think the changes are well-intentioned but very dangerous.

The small slot for bikes eastbound will put bikes right in the traffic lane; to get over to the bike lane, bikes will then have to scurry across the traffic lane. Some bikes won’t want to do that, or won’t even know that they should, and that will put eastbound bikes on both sides of cars. That’s bound to be trouble.

Add that to the fact that bikes now have to cross diagonally at 11th in both directions, and the unnecessary stop at 14th that many cyclists will blow (not saying they should, but they will), and the bad pavement in the eastbound bike lane, and I think the Missing Link is even more dangerous than before.

VeganBiker
    Participant

Gurple – I agree with you, it is dangerous as it is right now. I think that when the raised islands are installed at Shilshole and 46th, they might slow down East bound traffic thereby allowing bicyclists heading East to cross over into the bike lanes between vehicle. The way those islands are laid out it means that vehicles will have to slow way down to make that turn, anyway that is what I am hoping will happen.

However I think SDOT needs to make this all more obvious for motorists. Maybe more paint, signs and bollards, a cement barrier would be even better but I know that traffic will still have to cross the bike lane at many points.

And the 11th Ave. intersection needs more visible signage.

Cate
    Participant

I went down and checked it out today and was very confused. Am a little afraid to actually bike it to/from Fremont. May keep on taking 3rd as a bypass.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.