Volunteering

Home Forums Open forum Volunteering

This topic contains 16 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Shelley 6 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

gracie
    Participant

I have 7 working days and then will be kicking back. I initially just want to relax, get my yard in shape, maybe go for a short trip to Hood Canal area, or Whidbey of Vashon. Winter time plan to do the painting and such inside – but I also want to do some volunteering. Trouble is, I don’t know where to look for volunteer work – sad as that is. I don’t know what I would want to do – maybe something with animals, Ballard community.
    Anybody have any suggestions?

collingswood
    Participant

Try calling the Phinney Neighborhood Association, 783-2244. They are likely to have some sort of event that would be a good match for you.

gracie
    Participant

Thanks. Wonder if good old Ballard has a Neighborhood Association?

Cate
    Participant

Solid Ground over in Ballard sponsors a branch of RSVP (Retired and Senior Volunteer Program). They have all kinds of volunteer programs for retired folks – some long term, some short term – I’d talk to them. http://www.solid-ground.org/GetInvolved/Volunteer/RSVP/Pages/default.aspx

teigyr
    Participant

I volunteer with a cat rescue organization. I think our locations aren’t any closer than North Seattle (I could check) but you could always check with Mud Bay or All the Best to see what organizations they work with. It’s really rewarding especially as you get to know the animals and then are able to see them go home with someone who obviously loves them. There is so much out there, just think of what you want to do if you could do anything and odds are someone will accept you doing that especially because it will be without pay.

Catherine
    Participant

If you would like to help build a gate tomorrow at Crown Hill Center – I could use your help. Or on Friday and Saturday Seattle Gilbert and Sullivan Society could use your help at the center moving sets/costumes into their trucks for their show at the Bagley Wright Theater. Or the center could always use some help in the yard. The center can be reached through Small Faces Child Development Center at 206 782 2611.

gracie
    Participant

Cate – not sure if that would be a good mix for me. But I’ll research it.
    Teigyr -“just think of what you want to do if you could do anything” Hmmm, do they have a volunteer service for George Clooney!
    I’m not really going to do anything but relax this summer. Burned out and that’s why I chose to call it a day at work. Time for me, time to work on myself, i.e., exercise, swimming classes.

Mondoman
    Participant

Knock on VeganBiker’s door, then run away! It’ll make you feel like a teenager!

Seriously, though, just pay attention to things you notice as you walk around the ‘hood. You might see something you’d like to do, or participate in, or something that could use fixing with the help of others.

SEdholm
    Participant

Seattle Parks always has a ton going on. Mainly weekend park work, but yeah
    http://www.seattle.gov/parks/calendar/volunteer.htm

phoo
    Participant

Seattle Animal Shelter. Easy to get to – it’s on the other side of the canal, but the 15 goes there or an easy drive. You have to take a free class there first (Shelter 101), then an orientation for the department you want to be in. They have dogs, cats and critters (critters being everything that is not a dog or cat – they’ve had pigs, chinchillas, chickens, roosters, you name it). There are all manner of jobs you can do within those departments from feeding, cleaning, matching potential adopters to animals, photography, to “socializing” (spending time with the animals, getting them more tame and used to humans).

I normally have mixed feelings about shelters and I sometimes do about this one too, but those are minimal. For a municipal shelter (read: they are obligated to take all surrenders), SAS is GREAT. They don’t put down animals because their time is up. They’ll fix critters and send them to the vet when sick (some shelters will put them down instead because it is cheaper – the real money goes to cats and dogs). Their critter department is thriving. They do have areas in which they can improve, but those areas are much smaller and tougher to initially spot than any other shelter I’ve ever been to. Right now their critter department is busting at the seams (81 animals total) and could use an extra hand. It’s also kitten season, so the cat department may be in a similar situation.

I think I’m going to harp on this some more. Although the animals don’t exactly have luxurious accommodations, they are adequate. There was another cat rescue I went to in the Seattle area and I was a bit dubious of the space. Cats were stacked up in the hallway. It may have been ok, but it smelled like urine. I consider that a bad sign. SAS does not stink (except for rare occasions when a critter itself has an odor gland switched on high despite being sparkling clean).

Even if you’re not sure you want to volunteer there, it’s worth checking when their Shelter101 class is. You can’t volunteer without it and they don’t have it all the time. I think only a few times per year.

lakreitz
    Participant

Great job plugging for SAS phoo! It’s a great shelter because of its volunteers.

You might also want to check out Sustainable Ballard Gracie.

Shelley

Gracie, lots of good opportunities listed above. Literacy Council of Seattle is another good place to volunteer. My late husband volunteered there several years. One on one literacy/reading tutoring.

You asked about a Ballard Residents Association. I have vague memory that you live in Sunset Hill. There is the Sunset Hill Community Association. If I am mistaken on your neighborhood, there is the Central Ballard Residents Group.

gracie
    Participant

phoo – does SAS need things like blankets, sheets for animals to lay on? I read about another place back East where they did a collection. My heart breaks when I go in there – in fact in there once long time ago and ended up with the funniest looking dog (and the sweetest/smart). I heard a worker tell someone “this dog is going to be put down because it is so homely” and there was Alex. His legs were out of proportion for his body (too long) but what a face!
    And when I had a missing cat I went in there every day looking for him – and the kittens reaching out the cage broke my heart. There was one in particular that I never forgot (I was already at my limit for pets) and I pass there every day going to/from work and always thought about that kitten.
    Lots of good ideas so far.

phoo
    Participant

gracie – I think they could always use stuff, though they do have a lot. You might call them to find out specific needs. I think they do sometimes put down unadoptable dogs, though that is based on behaviour rather than being ugly. Putting down animals really isn’t talked about at SAS, so I’m not privvy to what goes into those decisions. Obviously the main reason is for health when the quality of life is too low. There is a good network of foster homes (cats, dogs and critters), so they smooth out a lot of behavioural issues.

It’s true that shelter/rescue work is not for everyone, but I love seeing an animal come into a home in poor condition and leave happy, healthy and bound for a forever home. That’s what makes it worth it. I think the hardest thing about the shelter is seeing how stressful it is for the animal. Some of them arrive in excellent shape and degrade a little just because it is a stressful environment. The good news is the critter area is being remodeled. Even though predator and prey will still be housed together (ferrets and snakes are sometimes in the same proximity as mice, rats, etc), the shelter is fixing it so dogs no longer come through that area. That will be a big help.

Ok, I poked around and here are a couple of wish lists:
    http://www.seattle.gov/Documents/Departments/AnimalShelter/WishList.pdf
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/36ZR7SLTWIE0Z

phoo
    Participant

Gracie, if you want to do something to do with humans, you might find a matchmaking role satisfying. You’ll be able to steer people away from a pet that really would not be appropriate for them, educate people on what the real needs of an animal are and see the great adopters who come in with their homework done and ready to give an animal a forever home. It might help some of that heartbreak feeling to see animals getting adopted.

gracie
    Participant

Phoo- thanks for the links. I have an extra carrier and didn’t know what to do with it. Now I do. And I threw out some litter boxes (never used) not knowing what to do with them. Darn.

Shelley

Sounds like you might already be hooked up with the Seattle Animal Shelter, but they do have their foster cat orientation coming up on the 6th.

Foster Cat Orientation at Seattle Animal Shelter July 6

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The forum ‘Open forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Advertisement