Welcome to Ballard's newest neighborhood – Tweaker's Junction

Home Forums Open forum Welcome to Ballard's newest neighborhood – Tweaker's Junction

This topic contains 29 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  JM98107 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

I thought this sign was Photoshopped, but apparently not.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/welcome-tweakers-junction-sign-homeless-encampment/nnw2x/

This speaks to how angry and frustrated people are getting with the city’s abysmal failure to address homelessness and addiction.

So does this Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Welcome-to-Murraysville-1488704574758098/likes/

JM98107
    Participant

That is pretty funny!

SEdholm
    Participant

While I didn’t see the sign, that stretch has been bad for a while. But as of recent the number of camps exploded.

JM98107
    Participant

A tourist might believe Tweakers Junction is a new craft brewery, restaurant or campground.

great idea
    Participant

so some wealthy Ballard kids drove their parents convertible to the site and put up this fancy sign that they spent a few hundred dollars making?

this speaks to how some folks have too much money and time on their hands.

btw, anyone uploading to that facebook page needs to get a life.
    anyone who takes pride in shaming mentally ill people by taking their picture and posting on-line probably has issues herself.

Edog
    Participant

Kids? please.. they are too busy doing cool stuff to bother hobos. Clearly that sign was the work of the Ballard Chamber in an attempt to garner attention to a “growing” problem. Whoever it was who put that sign up, don’t tell them to shut up!

JM98107
    Participant

When can we get the Tweaker’s Junction T-shirts?

Anonymous

As usual, Edog and GI completely miss the point. It’s not about shaming mentally ill people; it’s about drawing attention to the city’s failure and disinterest in seriously addressing homelessness, addiction and mental illness. The mayor is proposing to spend $5 million to take over a failing bike-share program and only another $1.5 million on homeless services. That tells you where this city’s priorities are.

And it’s not a “growing” problem, Edog. It’s an exploding problem. But hey, feel free to live in denial if that’s easier for you.

Crownhiller
    Participant

The reddit thread where the KIRO article came from is actually a pretty interesting read – some very reasoned thinking.

Finally, one of the newest neighborhoods near Ballard gets the recognition it deserves

Also, this story from the Ballard News Tribune was interesting as well – educated me on what the City can do in terms of the large trash dumping issue

Residents voice concern for illegal camping and trash piles in Ballard

Anonymous

The Reddit comments are very interesting – and telling. People are getting very fed up with the city’s inaction on these issues.

I was alarmed to read on the Reddit thread that a body was found on the street near Ballard Commons. But hey, if that person just had a tent to stay in, that wouldn’t have happened, right?

JM98107
    Participant

A body was found on the street near Ballard Commons – what are the details? It didn’t make the mainstream media.

Edog
    Participant

Please, those reddit comments are posted by a bunch of bots, just like the comments on this forum.

JM98107
    Participant

BBC ran a story about the street persons crisis in Los Angeles. The tent population is up 12% over the last two years.

Crownhiller
    Participant

Takes a bot to know a bot ;o) Last time I checked, we all get to have our own opinions. The need to constantly belittle someone else’s opinion is rather juvenile. But hey, whatever floats your boat.

Edog
    Participant

Just don’t tell me to shut up!

Anonymous

JM, at least Los Angeles’ mayor is taking the problem seriously. He recently declared a state of emergency over homelessness and proposed spending an additional $100M to address it. Our mayor’s priority? Spending $5M to take over a failing bike-share program.

My guess about the body near Ballard Commons is that it was a homeless person who perhaps OD’d or died from another medical issue. Unless it was a homicide or suspicious death, the media wouldn’t typically report it.

SPD posted this on Twitter:

SeattlePD Boy 1 ‏@SeattlePDB1 Oct 4
    Beat:B1, DOA – CASUALTY, DEAD BODY at 22XX BLOCK OF NW 58 ST reported on 10/3/2015 11:39 AM, Call# 15000345766

Salmon Bay
    Participant

Compass Rose: “But hey, if that person just had a tent to stay in, that wouldn’t have happened, right?”
    Someone died, and that is your comment. It shows what type of person you are, and what type of person you aren’t.

JM98107
    Participant

Good grief, the body was reported at 11:39 Sunday morning. All the church members must have seen the unfortunate soul.

JM98107
    Participant

This Tweakerville neighborhood is reminding me of the movie “The Panic in Needle Park” starring Al Pacino. DVD available at the Ballard Library.

Anonymous

My point, Salmon Bay, which unsurprisingly flew right over your head, is that there’s a critical need for treatment and services to address the growing problem of chronic homelessness in Ballard and the city generally, something few people seem to be talking about. Tents won’t do a damn thing to address that.

That was my point. Try thinking a little less myopically and you might understand what I’m saying.

Salmon Bay
    Participant

Compass Rose, don’t worry, I fully understand your point and actually agree with you that there’s a critical need for treatment and services to address the growing problem of chronic homelessness in Ballard.
    But you have also shown through your callous, insensitive and ignorant comments that you are not a good person. That was my point. There seems to be general agreement of that on this forum.

Edog
    Participant

There seems to be general agreement of that on this forum.

+1

JM98107
    Participant

Exactly, the BUMS are callous, insensitive and ignorant! Living on beer and drugs does that to a person. Bum Dee Bum Bum

Anonymous

SB, you’re just another knee-jerk, unthinking automaton who’s willing to accept whatever pablum is fed to you. So excuse me, but I don’t give a shit what you think of me. You are not going to be part of the solution. People like you are happy to just sit on the sidelines and accept whatever they’re told. People like you never effect change.

You have no idea what kind of person I am. Don’t presume to know. I”m doing more to address this issue in a meaningful way than you are. I’m actually getting involved, not just riding my bike around Ballard pissing and moaning about the missing link and my own personal priorities.

So with all due respect, go fuck yourself.

Salmon Bay
    Participant

Oh Compass Rose, full of piss and vinegar, hate and vitriol. All delivered with a gutter mouth. Yes, I have a very good idea what kind of a person you are.

You criticize the city claiming that they don’t have a transparent selection process, and then you align yourself with the corrupt Ballard Chamber of Commerce, whose hypocritical back room dealings you have no criticism for. You spend your time obstructing progress and feel you are “address(ing) this issue in a meaningful way”.

Not that it is any of your business, but I will be attending the fundraiser for LIHI in a couple of weeks. I’ve purchased a table of twelve. I will be joining hundreds of likeminded individuals to raise hundreds of thousands of dollars to support low income housing. I am pretty certain that I personally will be donating that night much more to this cause than you will in your entire life.

Goodbye.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.