what is with spellcheck?

Home Forums Open forum what is with spellcheck?

This topic contains 28 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Life is amazing 4 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author

Life is amazing
    Participant

In order to succumb to my need for a rant I will have to admit just how bad my spelling is.

As a fairly intelligent human being, and a writer no less, it’s bizarre how badly I spell (In fact I had to fix 2 words in those two sentences (and one in the resulting parenthesis sentence (and two in that one)))
    See.
    So here’s what gets me. I get that my spelling is so bad that it sends spellcheck into a tailspin but then why can I put whatever the word is into the Dogpile.com search bar and it will pleasantly ask -so I don’t feel stupid – “did you mean________?” and then I have my word.

I was writing an email to a client a moment ago where it’s pretty good if I don’t look like an idiot. I needed the word apolstry (do you know what word I mean? betcha do.) Spellcheck offered poultry. (please realize I see that what I’ve written is wrong – I CAN read- but THAT’S WHY GOD GAVE US SPELLCHECK – it’s supposed to fix the wrongness) I tried again appolstry – it offered tapestry. I tried apolstry – it offered apologist.

No really.

What is an apologist?

someone who apologysis? (spell check = apology sis)
    Appologyses? (spellcheck = escapology)
    upologizes? (spellcheck = apologizes Really?! THAT one cleared?)

really ruins the timing of a joke.

Now lets look at Dogpile.com
    apolstry – it asked so politely “Did you mean Upholstery?”
    appolstry – “Did you mean Upholstery?”
    apolstry – “Did you mean Upholstery?”
    I even put in apoulstry just cause I’m in a yank and again it asked….wait for it…. “Did you mean Upholstery?”

And since I’m on a roll
    apologysis
    Appologyses
    upologizes
    All resulted in one of the two spellings of apologizes

Well, I can move on now. Crap, look what time it is, I haven’t gotten a damn thing done in the last half hour.

Would you people leave me alone and let me work.

Edog
    Participant

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

I hear ya LIA, my so-called smartphone has autospell/autocorrect on it and it never fails to change words on me, especially names of people!!

my favorite is how “well” becomes “we’ll” or when i try to say “autocorrect” it goes “incorrect”

most annoying is I can’t turn it off or seem to add words to it and when I try to spell a word I don’t know exactly but think I’m close I never ever get the word and when I finally figure out how to spell that word right autocorrect still wants to change it to something else!!

*end rant*

Life is amazing
    Participant

why didn’t I think of that. I know how to spell wine. :)

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

Some correct phonetically and some correct visually. Now, some also correct for lazy punctuators. Most should make an attempt at inference buy are poor at it.

Phonetical: apolstry…upholstery
    Visual: apolstry…apology
    Punctual: well…we’ll
    Inference: blah blah blah, so I think well go to the movies…blah blah blah, so I think we’ll go to the movies

Richy
    Participant

Old school – Book: 50,000 words. Has every common misspelling and gives the correct spelling and quick definition as well as synonyms and antonyms.

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

BOC – my problem was i typed “I’m doing well” and it came out “I’m doing we’ll”

got to love technology!

Life is amazing
    Participant

Ha! Sunset, my favorite was when I thanked a friend for the beautiful bloodbath she gave me. There was a long pause in the texting then,
    “Uh…. did you mean bird bath?”

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

LIA – LMAO @ “bloodbath”

and Richy I own at least 20 different dictionaries but I can’t exactly take them with me everywhere I go :(

Sunset Hill Irish
    Participant

Life, I feel your pain.

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

SHG: well, (and I do mean well) somehow it thinks you are a lazy punctuator. I would do some thinking if I were you!!

Curtis
    Participant

I do fairly well, except that damn “I before E, exceptfter C, unless…yada, yada, yada!
    Problem with dictionaries is that you need to know how to spell the word to begin with. I’m assuming LIA meant upholstery, and she’d never find that with her interpretation.

Life is amazing
    Participant

Nope -way at the wrong end of the alphabet.

oldguybc
    Participant

LIA, along the same lines don’tcha just hate it when Facebook puts in some clown’s name that you’ve never heard of in the middle of something you are trying to text to someone? WTF Zuck!

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

ok so I goggled my issue with my smartphone and discovered I’m not alone in the world!!!

seems Android phones have a history of doing such things: “shell” becoming “she’ll”, “hell” becomes “he’ll” and on and on

there may be a solution if I can find the right setting to input the words I want, we’ll see if it goes well ;)

Richy
    Participant

Just turn off auto-correct, the spelling choices will still present themselves, but will require you to select what you want – does no one read the operation manuals? (really have no empathy for you all)

Cate
    Participant

Apostasy? That’s what I thought you meant (but a little confused as to how you would you use it with a client. Perhaps they are renouncing their life of clutter?).

gracie
    Participant

I had boss who when we got our first computers announced to me he wanted to do his own memos. & letters. He brought out memo & asked me to bring to next in command.
    I read it going down hall. Came back & asked if he knew how to use spellcheck. “Yeah, of course. If word comes up, you hit change.” He wasn’t looking at suggestions.
    I showed him how boss’s name was Pirak changed to “prick.” And he had woman as head of family as patriarch.
    He thanked me and after that I did outgoing correspondence.

Edog
    Participant

And people have been bored to tears ever since!

Life is amazing
    Participant

Upholstery Jeez I sounded it out a-pol-stry.

and Richy, manuals are for sissies

Life is amazing
    Participant

Gracie you cracked me up.

A lesser woman would have sent it through and waited for the sh** to hit the fan. Calling the boss a prick doesn’t usually go over well. (or we’ll)

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

Gracie- that reminds me of my all-time favorite “Dilbert” cartoon where an employe tells the pointy-haired boss that the employee’s name is “Myron, not moron” and to use spellcheck in the future

after the employee leave the pointy-haired boss thinks to himself “what’s spellcheck?”

richy – they don’t give you manuals anymore other than diagrams of where the buttons are and how to turn the phone on or off and a guide to basic functions like setting up voicemail. basically the so-called “manual” you get these days is 20 pages English, 20 in Spanish, 20 in french & 20 in either Chinese or Japanese. to get the real manual you have to hunt online and hope you have the right version of adobe reader set up after you download the 200 pages of the real manual and then they still don’t tell you everything you want to know!

Richy
    Participant

“http://lmgtfy.com/?q=android user manuals”
    or just ask the nice person at the phone store

Life is amazing
    Participant

Old guy – yeah what is with that. Like they’re helping you remember people you know?

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.