What is your favorite dive bar?

Home Forums Open forum What is your favorite dive bar?

This topic contains 91 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by  Life is amazing 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 92 total)
  • Author

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

I like Molly Maguires but when the weather is nice I really enjoy the deck at Water Wheel.

Edog
    Participant

There was/is a place back in Columbus called the Blue Danube AKA Blue Dube, or The Dube. I don’t know if it still exists but that place was a good dive, as was Larry’s

pennygirl
    Participant

The Intrepid Fox, Wardour St. Males weren’t allowed in if they were wearing a tie.

Sunset Hill Irish
    Participant

Pono Ranch ‘neath the Ballard Bridge. It’s only the sail-like patio covering and magnificent, rusty industrial finds that make it seem divey. Good beer, decent food, nice cocktails, still mostly undiscovered. Love the post-apocolyptic vibe of the decor. Oh, and I miss the old Hattie’s Hat (ya know, when there was always a heavy haze of cigarette smoke and lots of folk from the shipbuilding and related industries on Salmon Bay).

great idea
    Participant

the Pono Ranch? you’ve got to be kidding me.
    that is the least dive bar in Ballard. totally contrived, not unlike a chili’s or red robin.

I think they should call it the pony ranch for all the post-menopausal women I see there.

Pixl Pete
    Participant

Copper Gate, the old one, and the new one too, both gone… to Olaf’s.

oldguybc
    Participant

Sloop still open? Everything else is gone…
    Got a place down here called the Hyde Park, not all that bad as a dive bar…

Cate
    Participant

GI – You knocking post-menopausal women? Clearly you don’t know what you are talking about. Once you stop having to worry about birth control the fun really starts.

Angeline
    Participant

I’m not a huge dive bar fan, but the 4-Bs on Leary makes an excellent burger plate, cheap. Really bad music the time I was in, though, and judging the other patrons by their looks probably not really the kind of music they like best either. Not sure what’s up with that, but no one really seemed to care. Too busy chatting, drinking, eating, playing pool.

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

yes the sloop is still there, I’d have to go with it as it’s really the only dive I go to when I go out. sadly it and the lockspot are about the only things in that part of Ballard that haven’t changed much over the years

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

Cate +1

But I do agree with great idea on the point that Pono is def not a dive bar, and is very contrived.

Kate
    Participant

I’ve not been there but I have never forgotten The Sloop being described (on the old forum) as a place that you were guaranteed to be able to pick up a woman if you weren’t fussy. That sounds promising for someone looking for a dive bar.

Sunset Hill Irish
    Participant

Idea, the contrived quality of Pono Ranch is exactly what makes it a dive bar for me. The hard-drinking cheap drinks dive bars of dive bars in Ballard is, one might suggest, the one adjacent to Golden City Chinese Restaurant on 22nd near Market. Also, OGBC, I love Sloop Tavern. Don’t consider it a dive bar, rather, a great neighborhood spot and meet-up place after sailing. Agree with other commenters that the Sloop and Lockspot remain, for the moment, an assuring continuation of Ballard.

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

I’m a fan of the Tin Hat. Cheap drinks and a good jukebox make a good dive for me. Also, they have nightly food/drink specials. The $4 spaghetti on Wednesdays is great.

The only negative thing I have to say about the place is that it seems like a “locals only” type place where everyone knows each other and aren’t crazy about the idea of new people discovering the place. Also, the bartender seem like a dick. Otherwise, it’s a great place!

Gray Pedersen
    Participant

The WATER WHEEL! The place should be all over this forum: truly large, strong, and inexpensive drinks, good bar food, a dark fake wood paneling, low ceiling, friendly folks, live music Wednesdays, and an astro-turfed outside smoking area with rain shelter. As one Ballardite said, “It’s more like Wisconsin, or U.P.”

Matthew
    Participant

Finally a topic I can meaningfully contribute to.
    In no particular order.

Stoneburner : not a dive per se, but certainly falls under the broad umbrella and you can me sneak in from time to time.

Wingmasters: say no more.

2 Bit Saloon : ditto

Ballard Smoke Shop : ditto times 2

Lock Spot : I think this qualifies without any question.

Nora Bell
    Participant

Even locals who wander in for the first time get the cold shoulder from other customers at the Tin Hat. Never went in again.
    And Molly McGuires is a dive bar?
    The Smokeshop got a little less divey when they painted over the carpeted walls, but that’s still the closest thing to a favorite dive bar in Ballard. Nothing, however, beats the Baranof in Greenwood for true dive bar entertainment.

Nora Bell
    Participant

Oh, yes, the Lockspot too, of course. :-)

Edog
    Participant

In my mind a good diver bar crosses generations, not in that people of all ages drink there, but that people across the ages have drunk there. Additionally I think a dive is a bar so constant in its atmosphere that its been the same place across those generations. A real dive is as constant as any statue in front of city hall. By my own narrow standard, a few of the bars mentioned here fall short. Perhaps they are cheap no nonsense low rent low maintenance places, but few of these places have stood the test of time, nor do they feel like they will.

Sunset Hill David
    Participant

I agree with The Sloop, Waterwheel and Tin Hat and would add King’s, Lock and Keel, and Hatties Hat. New places cannot by definition be dive bars.

great idea
    Participant

King’s??? there were a bunch of frat boys last time I went by and it did not give that ‘dive bar’ vibe.

a dive bar needs to be dark, a little seedy even. a pool table is also required, as is a saloon dog who sleeps under this pool table.

the basic decor is one of indifference. the wood bar smells of piss and stale beer.

the bathroom is always scary. there will be no door on the stall and cigarette butts clogging the urinal.

that said, I don’t think dive bars need to be that old– say five years min.

Matthew
    Participant

Absolutely agree. Scary bathrooms define seediness IMHO. Scariest used to be a toss up between the old Dubliner in Fremont ( not the replacement, but when it was beside the Red Door ) and the old New Orleans in Pioneer Square.

Not to too graphic, but in both cases it was basically a wall with a hole in the floor. Now THAT is a dive!

Nora Bell
    Participant

The old New Orleans in Pioneer Square? Is the current one a replacement? The ladies room isn’t bad, aside from the gaudy decor.

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

The scariest bathroom I was in and there is no comparison was CBGB in NYC. I was tempted to go to a clinic and get a shot afterwards.

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

I just looked it up on yelp and I feel like I should check out this waterwheel place.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.