What is your favorite dive bar?

Home Forums Open forum What is your favorite dive bar?

This topic contains 91 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by  Life is amazing 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 92 total)
  • Author

Matthew
    Participant

Unfortunately the New Orleans is no more. Split in half, one half being a new bar/grill, and the other half undergoing shut down, with talk of being renovated and reopened in the new year.
    Great old place gone but not forgotten. I used to REALLY enjoy the Bumble Bee burger.

oldguybc
    Participant

Loved the old Thunderbird on 15th, definitely a dive… they used to post their 86 list on the wall, hell, knew most of them from BHS, some were father & son, ah, the good old days…

Nora Bell
    Participant

The Kort Haus in Greenwood is probably the scariest bathroom I’ve ever been in. Nice back deck, though.

Nora Bell
    Participant

Really, Mathew? That’s sad to hear. I don’t get down that way often anymore, but liked that place. Great music.

Matthew
    Participant

Indeed. Ever since the old lady passed away, change was afoot. Time marches on.

Salmon Bay
    Participant

Tarasco, Waterwheel, The Sands.

Avocado Head
    Participant

The Vikin… DAMMIT!

Ernie
    Participant

I’m with Edog on this one, it takes decades of neglect for a place to decline into a proper dive bar. I haven’t been to the Waterwheel, so can’t comment, but I’d only count the Golden City (old ‘n shitty), the Smokehouse, and maybe Wingmasters.

Kings Hardware is no more a dive bar than a hipster in a trucker hat is a truck driver.

pennygirl
    Participant

Not scrolling, so sorry if it’s also been mentioned, but the George and Dragon before it was the George and Dragon was a pretty typical dive. As was the place that eventually turned into the Pig n Whistle on Greenwood. I don’t remember either name.

If King’s Hardware is where Jules had her birthday a few years ago, then, no – that is about as far from a dive bar as you could imagine.

Edit: I think the previous place in the G&D space had a name that began with a J.

Avocado Head
    Participant

+1 Ernie, haha

It’s not a dive bar unless you are scared to order the food. (If they provide)

I do have to say that I really like the buffalo blue cheese onion ring whatever burger at Kings, dive bar or no.

Back home my dive bar of choice was also a piano bar:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Alley

If you ever wind up in Oakland, CA… GO. The place is a TRIP, and not to be missed.

-Avo

Ernie
    Participant

Just re-read my earlier post, Smoke Shop Damn you autocorrect…

Anonymous

King’s, Pono Ranch and especially Stoneburner are NOT dive bars. Whoever thinks that has no idea what a dive bar is.

My favorites in Ballard are Hattie’s, Conor Byrne, Lock and Keel, 2 Bit, Smoke Shop and the Sloop. My fave anywhere is the Erin Rose in New Orleans. It has a po’boy shop in the back that makes amazing po’boys, and they have a machine that makes the most amazing boozy, frozen Irish coffee drinks. Imagine the most delicious, refreshing dessert, add booze, and that’s what it takes like.

The bathrooms there are even worse than CBGBs. I’m talking third world.

Anonymous

Double post. Oops.

oldguybc
    Participant

Alley’s a ripoff now, Avo, way better back in the 80s & 90s, I mean, $22 for a shot of Patron Anejo? GIVE ME A BREAK!

Nora Bell
    Participant

Conor Byrne’s is a dive bar? Less now than it was, imo.

Avocado Head
    Participant

*High fives OldguyBC*

Yep, 90’s were my heyday. Went there on my first date with my wife of 12 years now as a litmus test, hehe.

P.S. Patron is for suckers!

-Avo

Shelley

oldguybc, would a self-respecting dive bar even serve Patrón Añejo?

Anonymous

I think Conor Byrne qualifies as a dive bar, yes.

I forgot about Wingmasters. Definitely divey, though maybe not as much as it used to be. Sadly, I never went to the old Coppergate before it closed. I hear it was divey bordering on scary.

I also like the Zoo on Eastlake.

gracie
    Participant

Buffalo..were you at Olaf’s today & wearing a red sports jersey?

great idea
    Participant

while we’re at it Buffalo, this video made me think of you for some reason ;)

Ernie
    Participant

Weird Al Yankovic has a big dictionary. LOL.

Rudy
    Participant

So what seems to qualify as a dive bar is:

• 10+ years of neglect
    • Food that you are scared to eat
    • Third-world bathrooms

Serious question: So what’s the appeal of a dive bar?

earldanger
    Participant

@rudy – pretty sure the allure is just being able to say you’ve been to dive bars and “would never” go to something not divey. It’s just soooo cool. I personally like being able to eat without fear, and use a restroom that’s more than a hole in the ground, with a door that actually does the job. But I’m boring in my late 20s now.

Rudy
    Participant

@earldanger that’s kind of what I was thinking. I also think that perhaps the lure of cheap(er)/stiff(er) drinks at the expense of food poisoning is worth it to some.

great idea
    Participant

I think it goes farther than that.

bars are places where one goes to relax, release some tension and be entertained.

a ‘dive’ bar is someplace where you can arguably do these things more easily. a ‘fancier’ place will never be as comfortable since you can never truly let loose in such a place.
    sometimes it is just the prospect of watching others let loose that makes the dive more appealing.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.