What is your favorite dive bar?

Home Forums Open forum What is your favorite dive bar?

This topic contains 91 replies, has 33 voices, and was last updated by  Life is amazing 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 92 total)
  • Author

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

gracie … It wasn’t me and I haven’t even made it there yet.

Edog
    Participant

@ Rudy – A dive bar is kind of like doing penance or going to confession. A dive always seem to have a moral code for behavior that it imposes on all its patrons. It keeps people from a certain community bound and grounded.

Avocado Head
    Participant

A dive bar is like putting on an old pair of ripped jeans. Comfortable, lots of great memories psychically imprinted in the very atomic structure.

They are usually populated by local neighborhood folks, relaxed, and the food becomes less scary after a couple of drinks. Hell, I have gotten sick as hell to some of the “hipper” joints, but survived the baked potatoes at the Viking and french fries at The Alley with no harm done.

The waitress at my old dive would randomly offer to “supersize” my drink for a dollar. They feel like a vital part of the community the way that newer places don’t.

I remember when the wife and I moved here almost 2 years ago, we thought we were gonna be down on Ballard Ave all the time. We tried quite a few places, but when we finally met up after work for a pint at the Viking it was the first time in Seattle that we felt relaxed and “home”.

-Avo

Avocado Head
    Participant

I can’t believe I am typing this, but +1 Edog. Nailed it.

Rudy
    Participant

All great responses. It might just be the phase of life (toddler-hood) I’m in right now that makes dives seem not “worth it” as I don’t get out much anymore. (@Edog, I never enjoyed confession in grade school)

Jimmy Rustler
    Participant

@great idea

. a ‘fancier’ place will never be as comfortable since you can never truly let loose in such a place.

This is true, unless of course you are a fancier type of person. Some people actually prefer cloth napkin places and feel uncomfortable in any place with TV’s around the bar.

Personally, I enjoy hanging out with you plebs. It makes me feel like I’m in a Springsteen video or something.

Nora Bell
    Participant

The Baranof, by the way, has very good breakfasts. Just not exactly fancy breakfasts.
    Agree that the appeal of a dive bar is cheap, strong, drinks and casual atmosphere. And bathrooms that test your gag reflex.

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

The Waterwheel men’s room has the best dive bar stall door. It is shower curtain that looks like something from The Brady Bunch..fwiw

Ernie
    Participant

Is it the 5-Point where they have the periscope at the urinal where you can look in and see the Space Needle? Now that’s a dive bar bathroom feature if there ever was one…

pennygirl
    Participant

A dive bar toilet is lucky to have four walls and a functioning flush. A periscope?

Avocado Head
    Participant

While we are on the subject of bathrooms, what’s up with the Moose?I find the food freakin’ delicious, but the bathrooms are just kinda gross… I have avoided taking out of town guests there just because of this.

I was excited when they closed for remodeling, then came in to see the same old chipped paint on the walls, grimy bathrooms, badly trimmed wax paper stuffed in to the overhead florescents for “atmosphere”… what did they remodel? Kitchen?

Give me a couple of guys / gals and a weekend and I could make that place so much more appealing. Patching holes in the walls where 5 different iterations of soap dispensers have come and gone isn’t that hard!

-Avo

pennygirl
    Participant

The Buckaroo bathrooms (not Ballard) were pretty nasty. Now I am aging myself. I wish GG was still here,

great idea
    Participant

I remember the (f)Buckaroo restrooms, penny.

they were indeed quite nasty.

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

5 bucks to anyone that smells the new piano seat at Ballard Commons and post pic or it didn’t happen. Would Ballard Commons qualify as a BYOB dive bar?

ballardMike
    Participant

1. Mecca
    2. Baronoff
    3. Nite Lite

…short list

briarrose
    Participant

There are no dive bars in Seattle and certainly none in Ballard. All have been taken over by neo seattlites. Come on no dive bar worth anything would ever sell food other than a few beer nuts maybe.

A dive bar is the kind where you see a line waiting at 6am. The old Virginia Inn comes to mind.

briarrose
    Participant

LOLOLOL Ernie for the win. “Kings Hardware is no more a dive bar than a hipster in a trucker hat is a truck driver.

Nora Bell
    Participant

I’ve seen people stumble out of the Baranof at 6 am. Does that count, BR? ;-)

Yeah, I only went into the Buckaroo twice, but the image of that bathroom stuck with me. Still, prefer that to what’s there now. Really bad, over priced food in pretentious decor.

briarrose
    Participant

LOL Nora. Not really as the Baranof is a restaurant with a bar not just a bar. A great 60s style restaurant.

Oly
    Participant

If a bar has food other than pickled eggs and red hots….. it’s not a dive bar.
    There must be at least two alcoholics sitting at the bar at all times…or it’s not a dive bar.
    If they don’t offer three schooner’s for five bucks… it’s not a dive bar.

Anonymous

BH, when I drove by the park yesterday, the homeless cyclist guy who’s always wearing that filthy red snowsuit was sitting on the bench. I wouldn’t touch that bench unless it was hosed down with Lysol, let alone smell it.

Briar Rose, WTF are you talking about? There certainly are dive bars in Ballard and elsewhere in Seattle. You should get out of the house more often.

The Baranof is great.

pennygirl
    Participant

Compass Rose – there used to be plenty of dive bars in Ballard. Not anymore. Then again, I suppose it’s someone’s definition of a dive bar. The Smoke Shop qualifies.

great idea
    Participant

I agree about the smoke shop. maybe it is all about the clientele?

anyway, it’s all relative. there are certainly ‘divier’ places in other parts of Seattle, but some of those mentioned above fit the bill well enough.
    I would say Golden City is a dive bar, even though it is also a restaurant, so defies briar’s definition.

Nora Bell
    Participant

The bar and restaurant at the Baranof are like day and night. They even play different music, simultaneously. The front is a 60’s style diner, the back is a dark dive. If you can see your drink, somebody has the back door open.

Matthew
    Participant

Anywhere I am drinking Hi Lifes is , by definition, a dive.

Viewing 25 posts - 51 through 75 (of 92 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.