What lengths do you go to to shop local?

Home Forums Open forum What lengths do you go to to shop local?

This topic contains 22 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Allison W 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

phoo
    Participant

I know a lot of people do their best to shop at local places, even though it costs a couple more bucks or is a little further to go. So how much extra do you pay, or how much inconvenience (distance, hours, cust serv, etc) do you deal with to shop locally?

I’ve been gradually transferring my prescriptions from walgreens to lafferty’s. They both have drive thru’s which is the reason, aside from being local, that I’ve been moving my stuff over there. Ok, so they are open much fewer hours, I can put up with that. Ok, they don’t have a fancy and convenient app to renew prescriptions from my phone, I can deal with that. The killer: they don’t automatically renew prescriptions. I have heard that Walgreen’s does, but haven’t confirmed it yet. If they do auto-renew, I may have to transfer my prescriptions back. This isn’t just one prescription once a month or it wouldn’t be a deal breaker. It’s a bummer, I wanted to give a local business some of my bucks, but I can go only so far.

Anonymous

Is Fred Meyer considered local?

Shelley

I shop as local as I can. I own a couple of small bricks and mortar businesses (they both have a web side as well), so maybe I’m a little biased. I really respect the knowledgeable business owners who will spend time with their customers, make sure things are right. 9 months ago I bought an electric assist bike. I researched the bikes on the intertubes, but I also went to two local vendors who generously let me try ’em out, answered tons of questions. I ended up paying about $150 (12%) more to buy the bike locally. The owner even called me after about a week to ask how it was working out.

Regarding prescriptions, I have used the Bartell’s on 85th for nearly 12 years. They know my name. They have all my prescriptions. They’ve caught a couple of drug interactions which required having the doctor prescribe something else. And they do renew prescriptions. The only thing I wish they could help me with is getting a common expire date for all of them.

donarb
    Participant

The new Bartell’s on 15th and Market will also have a drive-thru prescription window. You’ll have to drive into the garage entrance that’s just west of the store.

boatgeek
    Participant

Depends on the products. Top Ten Toys or Gary’s Games are more likely to have what I want than Fred Meyer or Toys R Us. We buy some food from local chains, but probably more from national ones, even factoring in the produce box.

FM is owned by Kroger, so not local in any way. Same with QFC.

Emily
    Participant

I try to do as much of my grocery shopping as I can at the farmers market and Ballard Market, sometimes Top Banana. I cut costs by shopping in the bulk products and making most of my food instead of the more expensive pre-made or processed stuff. I actually fine their customer service better than the other grocery stores, they are super accommodating to bringing in your own containers, giving you a tare weight, etc. For purchases other than groceries/consumables, I just try my best to choose purchases wisely and think about if there is a local option first.

phoo
    Participant

Ballard Market is a Town and Country store, I thought that wasn’t local, or is Town and Country based in Seattle?

Good comments!

Emily
    Participant

They are regional with locations only in Ballard, Bainbridge, Shoreline, Mill Creek, and Poulsbo. I think their corporate office might be in Ballard.

About Us

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

i mostly shop at local safeway though I do try to hit up the sunset hill green market when I can. for me the real issue is how easily can I get there and back by bus or on foot?

as for meds I still use the 15th/market walgrens because they’re open 24/7. when my oldest was 3 and decided to whack himself in the eye on Christmas day having a pharmacy open was very helpful. Nothing against Lafferty’s which is a nice well run family business. I used to do a lot with them when I worked at the Ballard Plaza Pharmacy before BPP went compounding only.

Cate
    Participant

As much as possible, I try to buy things that are in walking or biking distance. Everything this holiday season was from locally owned Ballard and Fremont shops. The Fremont PCC is my grocery store of choice with Ballard Market filling in the gaps. I think what I save in transportation costs and the benefit of the exercise makes up for the slightly higher prices.

Nora Bell
    Participant

I don’t drive, I have no prescriptions, I hate malls, and I don’t (often) shop online. So it’s pretty easy for me to shop local.

Jonathan
    Participant

If one is shopping local, one literally doesn’t have to go to lengths. ;)

Anonymous

is Starbucks considered local?

jj
    Participant

I guess local depends on the person. I consider Freddy’s local, otherwise I’d have to drive an hour round-trip to the Target to go shopping.

You could consider Amazon and Microsoft local as well, buying things from those companies certainly helps the local economy.

Shelley

Pretty sure that T&C markets are headquartered on Bainbridge. Used to have a neighbor who had an HQ job with them — she was commuting by the Colman Dock ferry to Bainbridge.

In a lot of ways, it’s very hard to shop locally. Once you find a local merchant, then you are confronted with the choice on the shelf. In the vast majority of cases, stuff comes from who knows where. For example, I would love to find 100% cotton undergarments that are actually manufactured in the US from US grown cotton. The whole supply chain has shifted, such that the bulk of nearly anything is sourced off-shore. Oh, how I wish I could locally source local materials I use for my business, for instance extruded aluminum used in art framing. Heck, the energy saving light bulbs I use there come from Malaysia and Thailand.

So, when I’m a consumer I really try to buy from the local independent first, the local small chain next, the statewide chain next, …. I’m very big on businesses that make a point of knowing me by name, forging the personal relationships. Even if the products they sell come from offshore, at least the final chink in the supply chain puts money back into our local economy.

Richy
    Participant

@Shelley, I use this list

The American List

There are more and more US made items emerging everyday now.

Allison W
    Participant

We’ve been using local companies and contractors for the work we are doing on our house. Home Depot only when necessary.

Favorites so far:
    Frank Doors
    Justin Busch
    QA Electric
    Revolver Vintage

Rudy
    Participant

Allison, no Limback Lumber? My house is probably 70% materials from Limback.

Allison W
    Participant

Yes, Limback. Great selection and good prices for custom millwork.

briarrose
    Participant

I go to no lengths at all. I buy what I want regardless of where I buy. Restaurants are usually downtown since I work there. I buy clothing etc. from ebay.

Participant

With our high sales tax, shopping online from tax free sites often gets my business.

briarrose
    Participant

I think my brother in-law made that table in shop class at BHS.

Allison W
    Participant

Seems unlikely, unless he was working for Lane at the time.

Do the world a favor and try to have a great weekend.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.