What makes you a special snowflake?

Home Forums Open forum What makes you a special snowflake?

This topic contains 30 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  GAM 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Jules
    Participant

Hey! Idiot guy who left his car in the middle of Market Street with the engine running and the flashers on so you could run into BECU to (I presume) use the cash machine…what makes you such a special snowflake that you don’t feel the need to actually park your car? There are 3 other ATMs within one block, and a parking lot behind BECU. But nooooooo….you are so special you can just leave your car running in the middle of a busy street.

This is the second time I have seen this stunt. Next time I think I’ll yank their keys and drive off. Then you’d have a whole lot of explaining to do to the cops. II

ronny j
    Participant

Which would make you a thief Julie, or a vandal, .. and who knows what else?

Ernie
    Participant

From the thread title I thought I was going to get to tell everyone all the different reasons that I am a special snowflake!

But.. It’s not really about that, so carry on.

Jules
    Participant

Thief, perhaps. Vandal, no.

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

Seldom done here, but in large cities, it is crazy. Traffic can barely flow along commercial streets in some areas.

phoo
    Participant

You aren’t a thief if you yank the keys and helpfully put them in the backseat of the car. Looking for them will cost them the few moments they saved not parking the car, will be an annoyance and is not stealing. Is it criminal mischief? I dunno.

Curtis
    Participant

Ha! Gotta say I’m with Jules!

ladybuk
    Participant

Man, some people are unbelievable!

And Ernie +1! I totally thought this was going to be one of those threads, in honor of the new forum, where everyone introduces themselves and I could read about their special talents. Cue the sad trombone.

Angeline
    Participant

I had my speech half-written… I will take this opportunity to say that I am the poster formerly known as angeline. I guess when I registered for the new forum I got the fields mixed up. My user name is still angeline, but “lisa” shows up on my posts.

ronny j
    Participant

There we have it … Lisa/Angeline is our very first “Special Snowflake”.

PlantLover
    Participant

Hi Angeline – you can probably change your identity if you want by editing your profile. If you look at the top right of the screen there should be a “Howdy” link taking you to it. Or maybe I AM a special snowflake and the rest of you don’t have that lovely greeting. Nah, I think we all do.

Krow
    Participant

uhhh I dunno, just am.

cdpenne
    Participant

Just substitute snowflake and there you have it.

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

A good old one, cdpenne. I can’t believe we have our own special snowflake. How is yours doing? ( the one in your avatar pic)

Life is amazing
    Participant

Love the username Special Snowflake!
    And Ernie I did too. I was all excited but…..
    I do love the idea of taking the keys and throwing them in the back and if you get caught, “But Officer, I was just afraid that the poor man would get his car stolen…”

Participant

Double parking is a legitimate move in my book.

oldguybc
    Participant

Jules, I think that is an east coast thing, hence all the traffic problems in NYC & Boston, folks back there just stop the car & do whatever they have to do without worrying about who is impeded by the act, maybe your snowflake has a “Joisey accent”…
    (did you hear a “fahgeddaboudit” by any chance?)

GAM
    Participant

I think that is an east coast thing

…and people wonder why there’s a Seattle freeze against outsiders…

MidWest
    Participant

I can eat three snowflakes at once!

Participant

And now that Ballard is experiencing the density, congestion, and scarcity of parking that east coast cities have, we’ll probably see more double parking. Delivery vans have been doing it for years. It’s not a big deal.

GAM
    Participant

It’s not a big deal for those doing the blocking. Those being blocked might beg to differ.

Blocking a driving lane because you’re unwilling to park legally is pretty much the definition of “special snowflake”.

Which is why I use the ATM at 7-Eleven if I am in my car. Free parking, no ATM fee and I don’t need to park like a jerk snowflake.

Miss Wahoo
    Participant

GAM, I believe I’d have to pay an ATM fee at 7-11. I could be wrong, but I think for my credit union, the only fee-free bank machines ARE the BECU ones.

Not that I’d ever block traffic to use one. That’s the lane the buses use, and many of the trucks. And when northbound/westbound Shilshole will be closed for 4mos, it might get even worse. Is leaving your car in a lane of traffic really an expected and accepted practice on the east coast?

GAM
    Participant

I don’t know if credit unions other than BECU can use the network at 7-Elevens, but it is sure convenient. In NYC the network is in all McDonalds, for those keeping score.

I’ve always found “real” parking in NYC (when I even drove – LOVE the subway!). Even if people are used to it, I don’t want to behave in a disrespectful way. Kharma’s been good to me, so why rock the boat, eh?

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

I love trying to make a turn off 24 when the delivery trucks are parked in the turning lane. I’ve almost gotten hit twice– once because someone else swerved into the lane having no idea that I was there, and once because I slowed down to almost a crawl with my turn signal on because there was no turning lane room. I can’t reall fault the trucks who have no where else to go, but it gets very dicey.

plasticbags
    Participant

I never noticed cars left in a traffic lane on the east coast but everything in FL has a parking lot so it wouldn’t make any sense to. Maybe New England is different.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.