What would you do? Neighbor's dog…

Home Forums Open forum What would you do? Neighbor's dog…

This topic contains 32 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Life is amazing 4 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • Author

Avocado Head
    Participant

Just curious as to how you all would handle this.

Somewhere in my vicinity is a neighbor who lets their cute little doggie run around off leash… I have spotted it in my front and back yard several times. I don’t think it is an “escapee” as it happens often, and there is never a person wandering around calling out any dog-like names.

It seems to be harmless and skittish… won’t let me get close to check it’s tags, and I have not been able to figure out where it lives, despite following it. It darts off so fast and through hedges, etc… Doesn’t seem aggressive at all towards humans, but chases my cat up a tree every chance it gets.

I am fairly new to backyard politics, and while there doesn’t seem to be any harm done so far, I’d prefer if my cat could enjoy sunning herself in peace. In principle it just seems like a no-brainer to me… Don’t let your dog run around in other people’s yards as recreation! While it may be sweet and harmless, you never know about other people’s spaces… Kitties, kids, much larger and more aggressive dogs… Grumpy old men with tranquilizer guns and taxidermy hobbies.

I’ve pretty much decided to ignore it for now, but was just curious as to what others think / would do. Thanks!

-Avo

pennygirl
    Participant

There is nothing you can do until you figure out who the dog belongs to. I don’t know if you can borrow a leash from someone, but if you can, try and grab him/her (hopefully he/she has a collar) and let the dog walk you home. If she/he isn’t a stray, this should come naturally.

Once there, let the owners know that a dog should only be off leash within the confines of a fenced property, regardless of whether it is tiny or large. You could probably go into the dangers to the dog, such as getting run over, getting lost, or coming across a bigger dog who might fancy a bit of a go around, but it seems like that may go over their heads.

Or you could build a fence :-)

phoo
    Participant

I think it is probably best to talk to the people about it. It’s also not legal to let your dog run around. Animal control will respond and talk to the people if you can tell them what house the dog comes from. However, I encourage you to speak with him first and mention your cat and that you’d like the little dear not running loose in the neighborhood. Dog is also subject to getting in fights with other dogs (on the losing side, because he’s small), getting hit by a car, being dognapped, etc. If they bitch about your cat running loose, so why can’t their dog, you might mention the legal aspect, but that’s generally seen as threatening. But not everyone might know about this law.

Whoops, I was somehow under the impression that you knew who the dog belonged to. Pennygirl’s got it right. There’s nothing to be done until you figure out what house he belongs to.

Avocado Head
    Participant

Yeah, I’ll have to try to get close to him, or work on my sprinting to follow him lol… (Or dig a pit covered in branches in the back yard)

Thanks Penny and Phoo!

-Avo

VeganBiker
    Participant

AV – I would find out where the dog lives, try to talk to the owner and if that does not work call Seattle Animal Control and give the the info. Dogs should not be wondering around with out an owner attached to the other end of a leash!

Edog
    Participant

Feed it, get it drunk, and send it home pregnant.

Avocado Head
    Participant

Bwahaha!

Life is amazing
    Participant

If you are near the corner of 30th and 61st I know where the little dog lives.
    It really ticks me off when folks do this. I have a dog that will smash small dogs in “play” and she’s already put one in the hospital (it’s fine) but I don’t want to be in a situation where I have my dog on a leash and another dog I can’t control runs up. Besides where’s he pooping? And chasing cats could end badly. What if the cat doesn’t run and if this is a terrier there’s no way to know if it wouldn’t actually hurt a cat that has been raised with dogs so isn’t afraid.
    End of rant.

Life is amazing
    Participant

Oh I got on a yank and forgot to answer the question. Once I found out where it lived I would go to the people, I wouldn’t mention the legalities because they would have to be aliens to not know, I wouldn’t mention what could happen to the dog because they know that too, I would stick with why it’s my business and would be as friendly and polite as possible when I said that their dog is coming in my yard, chasing my cat and I would appreciate it if they would not let it run free. If they bring up the cat being free I would say the cat is being chased in my yard.
    I would not tell them where I lived in case of retribution.
    If the dog was let out again I would call animal control. Having to bail doggy out of the clink a couple of times might sink in.
    Oh and I know of another little dog that is allowed to wander near 14th and 50 something and I know where that one lives also as I followed it home and was told “Thanks but she’s OK” Argh
    are either of these the locations?

Avocado Head
    Participant

Thanks for the advice LIA

I’m about 10 blocks from 30th and 61st, so I doubt it’s the same guy. And yeah, I would just hate for any pet or anyone to get bitten, or squashed by a car etc…

If it is someone on my block they will already know me (yay block parties haha) and I hope it can be cordial. It just puzzles me that anyone would think it was cool to just let their dog tear off into the neighborhood like that… I am perpetually confused by people haha.

-Avo

phoo
    Participant

Some people just really don’t care. I had a medium sized dog who I think preferred my yard above all others to poop in and he was from 2-3 blocks away. I saw at least half a dozen poops just in the small front and side yard. I talked to the person and he said sorry and said he’d clean up the poop. Well, he still let his dog run free and it still pooped in my yard without him checking back to clean it up. I didn’t call animal control because I was moving in a week or two. For people that don’t care, they’ll care once they end up in the shelter and they have to pay for register + chip + other miscellanous fees. It’ll cost 3 figures to get him out again, unless he’s already registered and chipped (I seriously doubt it).

You’d think they’d know the law, but small dog owners in particular live in a world of their own. They are less likely to properly train the dog because they can just pick them up. I’ve never had a medium or large dog be nasty to me, but I had a chihuahua bite my jeans. They probably aren’t worried about him biting another dog or human because they are small. Of course, this is generalized and there are good small dog owners out there, they are just in the minority.

starrita
    Participant

Not giving advice, but letting people know the consequences of leaving your dog unleashed or unattended. Last night my boyfriend and I were running on the sidewalk with our dog between us. The next thing we knew, our dog was slammed to the ground and attacked by another dog. Luckily, my boyfriend was able to separate the two dogs and we were able to get away. No owner ever came out to see what happened. We called the police and animal control to report the incident. That was scary stuff.

Life is amazing
    Participant

I’m so sorry this happened to you. Is your dog OK?
    It’s really hard to feel safe. I hope your boyfriend didn’t get bit.
    Would you mind telling us where and what time this happened. It’s a place and time I’d like to avoid even though it doesn’t mean it couldn’t happen somewhere else at another time.

Ernie
    Participant

Actually phoo, your comment about dog owners is more accurately described as a fallacy than a generalization.

Ernie
    Participant

Penny, regarding a dog walking you to their house. Last year I found a loose dog and put a leash on him and walked him around hoping someone was looking and would see us. After a few blocks he started pulling and really wanting to go west. I was like “sweet, he’s going to go to his house.”

A few minutes later we got to the play field behind the community center and he pulled me on to the field and then sat and looked at me like “where’s the frisbee, dude”.

Luckily the family saw my Craigslist post…

Avocado Head
    Participant

LOL Ernie!

pennygirl
    Participant

That is funny Ernie! Smart dog!

Phoo – do you know many owners of small dogs?

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

Ernie, that dog was training you!

Lillie was once found crossing a road (in VT). The women who scooped her up drove a quarter mile to a cluster of homes and decided to let her lead them. It helped that the door she led them to was open a bit also, so they put her inside and closed the door. The next day they drove by and I was gardening with Lillie lounging nearby. They parked and came to tell me how relieved they were that they had put her in the correct house. I asked them what they were talking about and got the story. It seems that my elderly neighbors, who frequently took Lillie for a few hours, hadn’t pulled the door shut all the way. I couldn’t thank them enough!

Edog
    Participant

Our fox terrier was an escape artist who had a way of getting out of the house unnoticed. Strangely enough he usually ended up at the groomers down the street. We’d get calls from them out of the blue telling us our dog was out, and that we could come pick him up.

Lou98107
    Participant

In Phoo’s defense, I think I know where she’s coming from. I realize not all owners of little dogs do the same thing, but if I think of all the small dogs I’ve met (or spent time with) over my entire life, the majority of those owners could be described as “overly indulgent”. We had a small dog when I was in gradeschool, and he had little training. But if we had guests, he’d get too excited so we’d put him in another part of the house, or in the garage. He wouldn’t have run of the house until everyone left.

Some of the little dogs I’ve known have had training, some not. Those untrained little dogs have jumped on me when I’ve been sitting in an easy chair, chew, nip or scratch at skin or clothing, bark & growl incessantly, and race around & weave between guest’s legs. I’ve even seen them chase their host’s cats, and heard the dogs owner laugh and find it funny. They thought it wasn’t their dogs’ fault or their own. They’ll sometimes actually comment “I didn’t realize you don’t like dogs” if you ask them to make their dog stop.

I also have experience with medium to large breeds, and in general, those owners would never allow their dogs to get away with the same behavior. Actually, ALL of them that I can think of have trained their dogs, keep their eye on them, and expect them to behave and will make corrections when needed. A friend’s retriever is well behaved, but her daughters’s 12 pound dog is a total nightmare to be around, yipping & zipping all over the place as her owner looks on.

When it comes to the small dog owners I know, I suspect they’d rather not have to spend time training or correcting behavior. If their dog jumps up and scratches your shins, it’s not THEIR fault you didn’t wear jeans! The dogs are rarely taken out for walks or socialization, because they have the run of a low-fenced yard. If you have a problem with how their dog is behaving, it’s your problem, not theirs.

But my experiences are my own – I just wanted to point out that when Phoo wrote about owners of small dogs living in their own world, I could not disagree.

pennygirl
    Participant

Well that’s me told, I suppose. But it’s a small world – maybe you and Phoo know the same owners :-)

starrita
    Participant

My dog is okay. We checked him afterwards for puncture wounds and didn’t see any obvious ones. I checked him carefully again yesterday and he only had a sore neck and a tender spot on his leg. Hopefully, we are in the clear.

It happened around 7:30 pm at 24th and 62nd. Concerning since 24th is such a busy intersection.

Life is amazing
    Participant

How awful. I’m so glad your dog will be OK

Lou, your describing my dog. I hang my head in shame. she’s 95 pounds. Gets too excited when people come over. Regardless of where you live in Ballard I’m sure you’ve heard me screaming “STOP IT! Say Hi NICELY!!” I do not allow her to jump up but have not gotten her to stop doing tight donuts around the persons legs while they grab for the wall or bouncy bumps with her chest (I swear I can hear her saying “but I’m not jumping up, see? no paws!”)

She also chases the cats. Again, you’ve probably heard me “STOP CHASING SONNY! HE’S A HUNDRED YEARS OLD! GO CHASE MILO!” (he likes it)

It’s a zen like home.

Lou98107
    Participant

LIA, one difference is that if your GS greeted me enthusiastically, I doubt you’d fail to try and correct her behavior, brushing it off, acting it was okay because “Lou doesn’t like dogs”. I doubt you’d EVER blame your dog’s behavior on the person who has to deal with it.

BTW, I love German Shepherds. If I met yours out on a walk, and it was evident she was struggling to say hello in a way that was within the rules you’ve taught her (humans are so LIMITING) I’d probably know she had behavioral expectations, rather than the dog being in charge of the human.

And I’d forgive the leg-donuts.

Ernie
    Participant

I doubt you’d EVER blame your dog’s behavior on the person who has to deal with it.

But you assume that some other random person would, just because their dog is “small”?

I don’t get your logic.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.