What's up with the Sunset?

Home Forums Open forum What's up with the Sunset?

This topic contains 10 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  GAM 4 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

Walked by the Sunset on Sunday night and it was closed, with the windows papered over and a liquor license application notice. Since they already have a liquor license (or at least used to), that makes me wonder if it’s being sold and/or turned into a different bar.

Please tell me the Sunset is not going to become another pretentious bar for the bridge-and-tunnel set.

Laura13
    Participant

They just emailed me a crappy “teaser video” about their remodel.
    I’m sure the cozy, Chinese decor will be ripped out and replaced with the soul-less concrete floor, brick, artisan light fixture, and exposed beam shit-show de jour.
    Upon re-opening, i’m sure the din of douchebags will be too loud in there to hear yourself think.

Shelley

Finally, a place on Ballard Ave to get plastered without the annoyance of live music competing for your imbibing attention. Maybe they’ll install big screen TVs and show football games for an original touch.

edit: I see they’ve still got music scheduled on their website this month, September and October. http://sunsettavern.com/

BuffaloHawk
    Participant

They won’t reopen until the “Founders Club” sells out;)

Anonymous

Laura13, what did this “teaser video” tell you? I’m curious to see it, though it will probably be thoroughly depressing.

Also, I noticed that BalMar has been closed for a while, reportedly for a remodel (a new and improved douchey look?). But it’s been a while. I’m guessing they might have run into financial troubles.

Buffalo, I am a proud member of the Stoup founders club!

Edog
    Participant

I noticed that BalMar has been closed for a while

No, I’m pretty sure they are open for business. Actually, Balmar is one of the more tolerable Douche Palaces in Ballard.

Anonymous

They were closed on Sunday and didn’t used to be.

I’d say it might be Ballard’s number one douche palace on Friday and Saturday nights. What would be worse on weekend nights?

I like it other nights, though.

Ernie
    Participant

My initial response was “I know it’s been a while, but those are clouds.”

Laura13
    Participant

Compass Rose, here you go.

Anonymous

WTF? That video is awful. Tells you nothing about the remodel or future plans and is just disturbing and creepy.

GAM
    Participant

I like the videos. The dog is a great symbol for the place – a little old and rickety, but still living large.

What I get from it is
    1) they aren’t going to give everything away just yet. It’s a teaser.
    2) they are celebrating the legacy of the place, so expect that to be respected.
    3) it’s not just a clean up, there will be some upgrades such as the separate lounge area.
    4) they are only closed for seven weeks, so it can’t be a massive overhaul.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.