Where's the chickpea/garbanzo flour?

Home Forums Open forum Where's the chickpea/garbanzo flour?

This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  Angeline 6 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Mondoman
    Participant

I’d like to experiment with pakoras/falafel and the like, but can’t seem to find either packaged or bulk chickpea/garbanzo bean flour locally in Ballard. I’ve found “falafel mix powder”, but that’s got other flours and spices added. Any suggestions (and I’d like to avoid Whole Paycheck if possible)?

Mondoman
    Participant

Ha! Answering my own question! It looks like Chefshop.com (down on Elliot Ave just past Staples) carries this as well as many other yummies.

JoyBird
    Participant

PCC in Fremont is another place to try. (They are less expensive than Whole Paycheck and Ballard Market)

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

PG says Freddies sells it too. The one on 85 not Shishole. I am relaying info for those who cannot log on here.

Catherine
    Participant

Cash and Carry (accepts credit and debit cards too!) has it – large bags, but good prices.

Mondoman
    Participant

Thanks, all, even those in relay-land! I had checked the Ship Canal Fred Meyer, but not the one on 85th. At this point, I’m just experimenting, so I’ll start with a few cups. Good to know Cash & Carry is there for falafel-truck-sized loads, though.

VeganBiker
    Participant

Mondo – if you have a grain mill or a Vitamix, like I have, you can buy dry chickpeas and then grind them into flour. I also make rice flour the same way. Love the old Vitamix and mine is an old 80’s one with the stainless steel jug.

lakreitz
    Participant

Mondoman – The totally awesome jewel of a store, Big John’s PFI at 1001 6th Ave S has chickpea flour. They have their bulk food offerings listed on line:
    http://www.bigjohnspfiseattle.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=158:bulk-section-table&catid=48:temporary-cheese-library

Mondoman
    Participant

Now that’s a big background logo! I have vague memories of hearing about this place many years ago — will have to go check it out.

Smells Fishy
    Participant

We prefer to grow most of what PFI sells, except, of course the meats which we get when we are in the other side of the mountains after our ski runs.

plasticbags
    Participant

A couple of years ago I got garbanzo flour (bob’s red mill brand) at the Ballard Fred Meyer but I didn’t see any yesterday. They also didn’t have any farro which is what I was there to buy.

lakreitz
    Participant

Plasticbags – per their website, PFI carries two types of farro and einkorn. I’d call to confirm before going there as supplies can vary.

No, I don’t work there. Not related to anyone who does either.

Angeline
    Participant

I have some garbanzo flour from Bob’s Red Mill. It came from Fred Meyer sometime last year. It was for a recipe that no one liked and now I’m stuck with the bag. I’m trying to gradually use it up by putting a couple tablespoons in every time I make pizza dough. Maybe I should use the rest in one fell swoop by making falafel. Anyone with a recipe to recommend? I’ve been perfectly happy with the boxed mix (which you can also buy in bulk at PCC and maybe FM). I add some minced fresh parsley to freshen up the mix a bit.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The forum ‘Open forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Advertisement