Smokin' Petes BBQ

Home Forums Open forum Smokin' Petes BBQ

This topic contains 30 replies, has 22 voices, and was last updated by  saffythepook 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author

Matthew
    Participant

Hey all,
    Drove by Smokin’ Petes last night and it was all papered up and looked closed. Anyone have the inside scoop on this?
    Thanks,

Miss Julie
    Participant

The signs indicated that it is moving to catering/take out/wholesale only, and takeout orders require 48 hours notice.

Matthew
    Participant

Thank you for the update. I didn’t stop, so didn’t read the sign ( my bad ). Glad they are still around, albeit in a different mode.

Nothin’ like good bbq!

gracie
    Participant

Oh boy, our maintenance guy is going to be p.o.’d big time. He goes there a lot and loves it.

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

they closed up before the Health Department could shut them down is what I heard from a former employee, basically the place was overrun with rodents and the owners didn’t care much about fixing the problem. I heard the Health Department told them to clean up or get out so they chose to get out. I never cared much for them myself, always found much better BBQ down in the south end.

jburgh
    Participant

donarb
    Participant

They catered the Ballard Seafoodfest auction event at the Elks club. I wasn’t impressed, their ribs were dry, tough and flavorless. Agreed, there is much better barbecue in Ballard, like Bitterroot.

gracie
    Participant

I went there one time and not impressed. I told our maintenance guy and he wasn’t happy. But wait until I tell him about the health issues. He is a very neat/clean personality & I’m sure he won’t feel so bad after reading this.

Cate
    Participant

That piece of land had become to valuable for the use it was being put to anyway. I imagine there will be construction there pretty soon.

saffythepook
    Participant

I never understood how they could stay in business. Their meat was consistently dry and flavorless. I kept going back, hoping it was an off night but after the third try gave up completely. It didn’t help that their portions were skimpy for the price. I guess enough other folks disagreed with me to keep them going for 10 years.

It’s a shame that Boar’s Nest is gone too. Bitterroot is good but a little precious for my taste. Despite their small size, they still can’t seem to get the orders out quickly either. Kickin’ Boot is mediocre and overrun with bros on the weekend. What we need is a reincarnation of the old Greenwood OK Corral. Now that was the real thing.

Shelley

Hey Sunset Hill Guy and jburgh, I’m not defending them (I don’t care for their food), but they only had 1 unsatisfactory report in 2013. Don’t know how many inspections they had. In the restaurant biz, it’s not uncommon to get an unsatisfactory, then many months/years of no problems. … for instance, let’s pick on another one downtown, the highly rated (not in my book) Wild Ginger which had problems … they cleaned things up, but still have had occasional unsatisfactory reports since 2008/2009. http://info.kingcounty.gov/health/ehs/foodsafety/inspections/Results.aspx?Output=W&Business_Name=Wild%20ginger&Business_Address=1401%203rd%20Ave&Longitude=&Latitude=&City=seattle&Zip_Code=98101&Inspection_Type=All&Inspection_Start=&Inspection_End=&Inspection_Closed_Business=A&Violation_Points=&Violation_Red_Points=&Violation_Descr=&Fuzzy_Search=N&Sort=B

Heck, even Canlis doesn’t always pass :)

phoo
    Participant

Usually their smoked chicken was juicy, which is not the norm for most places i go. Usually it’s overcooked. However, one day they must have had little turn over because the chicken was dry and not good. That was the first time though. The only thing bad that I had there were the sides.

Edog
    Participant

Saffy, Boars Nest? I’m pretty sure they are still open. I just past their door last weekend. They were advertising Super Bowl take out packs.

Ernie
    Participant

We went to that new place next door to the Traveler on Leary (didn’t catch the name) yesterday and it kicked Smokin Pete’s ass.

SunsetHillGuy
    Participant

Shelly – I only know what was told to me by someone who worked there for several years, I never was a fan of the place before I found out about the health issues which I heard about several times over the last 3-4 years. I had heard they would be closing Feb 1, sometime back in Dec I think it was and promptly forgot about it since Smoking Pete’s is a place I will not miss. There are lots of places I do like that have had issues over the years after spending way too much time searching that site by zip code (try it,you get every establishment in the zip code all listed at once) but I still go there because I like the food & service. My main complaint with Smoking Pete’s was quite frankly their food sucked, the meat was too dry, not enough sauce, etc.

I did not see any place that has a perfect rating but when someone I’ve known for several years tells me the place they work at daily is not what it seems I’m inclined to take his word for it. I’m just passing along what I was told, no harm, no foul :)

Rudy
    Participant

Ernie, the name of that place is Bourbon and Bones.

SunsetHillMarauder
    Participant

Boars Nest is absolutely not closed. They’re still cookin’. Those guys make some of the best BBQ I’ve ever tasted around here. But Pete’s will not be missed. Hadn’t been there in years.

Anonymous

That piece of land had become to valuable for the use it was being put to anyway. I imagine there will be construction there pretty soon.

Are you intentionally misusing the word “to”?

Cate
    Participant

two/too/to
    My computer has one of those silly autocorrect and I don’t always see the less then helpful corrections it makes. Sorry.

saffythepook
    Participant

I’d be happy to stand corrected on the Boar’s Nest. I’d thought I’d read on MyBallard that they were planning to close.

Went there once, thought it was good. Went back, had another good experience. N=2 beats 90% of the BBQ places I’ve tried.

Matthew
    Participant

wow…talk about a compleat answer to a simple question.

So, to riff off this thread, has anyone confirmed that the LinkLab sausage king is shutting down? My contact at the Sunset Green Market says he is done.

Thoughts on this? IMHO, best sausage in the city.

SmartsyArtsy
    Participant

saffythepook
    ” overrun with bros on the weekend”

what does that mean?

great idea
    Participant

I think saffy means fraternity boys or such.

did you think he was being racist?
    c’mon now, those penguins are black and white.

Miss Wahoo
    Participant

…overrun with bros on the weekend…

When I read that, I pictured a bar/lounge/restaurant with a bunch of noisy frat brothers in it. Perhaps that was my mistake, but since I’ve noticed more than a few groups of young guys who look like frat bros out drinking in this neighborhood, I assumed that’s what Saffythepook meant.

saffythepook
    Participant
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.