Anthony Bourdain spotted in Ballard

Posted by Geeky Swedes on May 30th, 2009

bourdainFirst, there was Rachael Ray at Volterra. Now My Ballard reader Heather sent us this email about another celebrity chef sighting:

“Anthony Bourdain was in a cream-colored Mini convertible with another gentleman parked outside La Carta de Oaxaca at around 3 p.m. today. He posed for a photo with some girls inside who ran outside to see him, then got back in the car and drove away. He was sitting outside for a bit, according to the girls, but no one was sure if he was eating lunch.”

The Travel Channel host (“No Reservations”) and author (“Kitchen Confidential”) is appearing tonight (Saturday) at the Paramount with Mario Batali, the “bad boys of cuisine.”

• 1 Mayor Nickel bag // May 31, 2009 at 10:59 am

Never heard of him

• 2 Silver // May 31, 2009 at 2:22 pm

What? WHAT???

I think I just wet myself!!

• 3 The Norwegian // May 31, 2009 at 2:58 pm

If he's in Ballard we ARE screwed. As if not enough have already flocked to a place only made fun of everywhere for years. Here a yuppy there a yuppy everywhere a yuppy. Gee, this wouldn't explain why everything costs what it does would it folks? Ballard was recently rated by somebody “a place to be” or such. Great. And still nuthin but nuthin has been done to accomodate us all by upgrading signals with actual turn arrow lanes anywhere????????? WTF is that? Has anybody taken a look at Market St. lately? Or driven it? Ignorance is an expensive commodity. Although, it IS an election year. Maybe hizzoner will do this to trump others?

• 4 Bulbous // May 31, 2009 at 3:23 pm

should I also write a comment that has nothing to do with this story?

I'm sure he didn't feel like waiting for a place to sit at La Carta. or that giant photograph inside scared him as it does my children.

• 5 leavinglasballard // May 31, 2009 at 3:29 pm

damn. i was there a mere 2 hours late.

• 6 Mr B // May 31, 2009 at 4:05 pm

Um – please make your post in the “Bitter old Ballard area” next time. Thanks!

- (people who read blog posts about topics)

• 7 Edog // May 31, 2009 at 5:23 pm

+ 1 to that. Some days it seems like this place should be called the Ballard Bitch & Moan, not MyBallard

• 8 Trix // May 31, 2009 at 5:36 pm

Dang! I was at Pike Place all day yesterday. I've been hoping to see him (and my fave Iron Chef, as well). Darn the luck!

• 9 SeattleRichardson // May 31, 2009 at 7:35 pm

couldn't agree more!

• 10 David Anthony Tobin Bentler // May 31, 2009 at 9:48 pm

Looks like he ended up on Capitol Hill with Mario, eating at Cafe Presse. One of my close friends served them, along with Matt Dillon and company, yesterday.

• 11 TheMouthOnThisOne // May 31, 2009 at 9:48 pm

Anybody go see the “badboys?” Did Ant'ny use the word “goodness” thirty times? Was Mario Slovenly wearing shorts and Crocs? Badassssssssss.

• 12 Barfly // May 31, 2009 at 11:43 pm

Bourdain, Men's Journal, New York Times. Hey, Norwegian, at this rate Ballard may become livable.

• 13 mickey // Jun 1, 2009 at 12:22 am

His recipe for potato leek soup with white pepper is SO good!

• 14 whitman // Jun 1, 2009 at 12:28 am

you should leave your offspring at home then cause that food is GOOOD!

• 15 alex // Jun 1, 2009 at 3:11 am

+1 one again. if you don't like the crowd in ballard now you should probably move somewhere dull and lifeless…kent maybe?

• 16 demian // Jun 1, 2009 at 3:24 am

now that's not constructive. Ballard does kinda blow now but only because of the uncontrollable bitch that is change.

• 17 32nd Avenuer // Jun 1, 2009 at 6:41 am

I'd like to see AB try to anonymously have lunch at Salumi. No warning from anyone, especially from Mario to Gina, or the rest of the family! I bet Tony might have some difficulty with their seriously limited hours. But once there, he could wait in line like the rest of us, maybe with a friend or two (so they can taste/share various sandwiches), and see what he says.

He'll be so in awe of their charcuterie, it won't matter how long he has to wait. AND, it will keep him away from my beloved Paseo!

• 18 eM // Jun 3, 2009 at 4:45 pm

as far as i'm concerned – all the hot air generated by those two big fat blowhards explain the heat wave we've been having!!!

• 19 david t. // Jun 3, 2009 at 6:37 pm

I'm guessing the Norwegian is more like the too cool hipster who wants to trash anything that gets exposure. But I agree, go whine somewhere else.

• 20 Qoan // May 13, 2010 at 11:11 am

Ballard’s cool. And it’s better than it used to be.