Hundreds gather at ‘Missing Link’ in Ballard

Posted by Geeky Swedes on October 27th, 2009

With red lights blinking, arms waving and horns honking, more than 250 people stretched down Shilshole Avenue Tuesday evening to show support for the completion of the “Missing Link” of the Burke-Gilman Trail.

Bicyclist Jenny Heins has fallen along the Missing Link, and she believes safety is a big concern. “I think it’s going to make things safer for the businesses as well as the users of the trail. The whole community,” she says. “It’s been a priority for the community for 11 or 12 years so I’d like to see it move forward.”

Mayoral candidate Mike McGinn showed up with his bike. “I’m a big bike supporter,” he tells us. “I’ve been a supporter of finishing the Missing Link for a long time.” Michael Snyder of rides the missing link from Ballard to Fremont every day on his commute. “I hope that the elected officials will take notice and the Ballard community will take notice and say ‘hey, this is a priority.'”

(Photo above from Silver.) The Missing Link is a 1.5 mile stretch of the Burke-Gilman Trail without an actual trail. Bicyclists currently ride along Shilshole Ave., sharing the road with cars and large trucks while maneuvering over railroad tracks. The city’s plan to bridge the link sparked a lawsuit from a coalition of Ballard industrial businesses worried about the impact on safety, traffic and parking.

“As businesses who work with heavy equipment, safety is our number one priority,” Eugene Wasserman of the North Seattle Industrial Association said this week, adding that he welcomes Tuesday’s event. “It should give people the opportunity to look at our growing businesses, which provide family wage jobs and are represented by many unions. It should be clear to everyone visiting our area how hard it is to mix trucks, cars, pedestrian, and bicycles safely.”

More photos:
-Silver took these photos here, and this video clip here.
-Michael Snyder took these pictures.
-LMcGuff added this photo link in comments.

Last week: Mayoral candidates address the Missing Link controversy

• 1 beatrice // Oct 29, 2009 at 4:02 pm

This whole thing sounds like season two of The Wire. There is a way of life on the rocks here, and people are hanging tough. I hope someday we get to hear about ALL of the intrigue. I just hope I hear it all from Dominic West…in my bed.

• 2 SPG // Oct 29, 2009 at 5:59 pm

Of course they know it. The whole plan is to obstruct and distract. Every time it gets closer they'll just bring up an “alternative” to try to restart the debate. “what about this route?” “what about this other route instead?” “what about our jobs?” “what about the children?”

• 3 SPG // Oct 29, 2009 at 6:06 pm

cdpenne, By your twisted logic the city should look as crappy as possible so ugly industry doesn't feel out of place? If you look at a map the area is clearly zoned INDUSTRIAL. The area isn't under any threat.
    I don't doubt that this entire city will look very different in 50 years, just as it looks very different now than it did 50 years ago. But completing a much needed bike trail isn't going to run these businesses out. It's a red herring meant to distract from the fact that they don't want to give up their use of the public right of way. PUBLIC right of way, which means it isn't theirs but ours, all of ours and should be respected as such.

• 4 SPG // Oct 29, 2009 at 6:10 pm

“An if they can't figure out how to cross railroad tracks maybe they should invest in some training wheels.”

If a giant sinkhole opened up on Shilshole big enough for a car or cement truck to fall into and kill the driver, would you tell people they need to learn to jump their car over it like them Duke boys? Of course not. There is a basic level of infrastructure that is expected to be safe to the average user. This is why we have traffic lights, lane markers, and road signs. If we were pulling drivers out of wrecks in the same spot on a daily basis because of something like this you'd bet that something would have been done about it. Frankly, I'm amazed that the Ballard RR and the city haven't been sued to bankruptcy over this spot.

• 5 SPG // Oct 29, 2009 at 6:13 pm

My point is that an angry post about industry on the waterfront doesn't prove a conspiracy to get rid of it.

• 6 SPG // Oct 29, 2009 at 6:17 pm

Is the way of life on the rocks the cyclists? Because there will be zero impact to any of the jobs along Shilshole once the trail is built.

• 7 bellie // Oct 29, 2009 at 7:05 pm

Sure. I wasn't implying that there was one. I was hoping xacto would be a little more circumspect, however.

• 8 beatrice // Oct 29, 2009 at 9:45 pm

It's not the actual impact, it's the fear that once the trail goes in, what comes next? A Hotel?

• 9 jeezlouise // Oct 29, 2009 at 9:55 pm

SPG, you have an incredible amount of time on your hands. Go out and ride that bike or something, good god.

• 10 SPG // Oct 29, 2009 at 9:56 pm

So fear trumps reality and cyclists continue to get hurt in the real world while the industries cower in fear of the imagined.

• 11 SPG // Oct 29, 2009 at 9:58 pm

The wonderful benefit of my work is that I have lots of spaces of about 5 minutes at a time where the computer has to do it's thing and I have to wait. This keeps me from picking up smoking. or playing solitaire. or otherwise going stir crazy watching a progress bar creep across a screen.
    …and done! Back to work.

• 12 beatrice // Oct 29, 2009 at 10:01 pm

You know, you are just too serious. I am a cyclist and never once did I say or imply that this fear bizo is justified. Lighten up.

Get a life, do something other than read this friggin' blog. I have a kid home from West Woodlawn with H1N1 and the kid is sleeping. What is your excuse for exessive blogging? Are you old?

• 13 motorrad // Oct 29, 2009 at 10:18 pm

I was told by a very reliable source close to the machinations that the owner of that boatyard is OK with the trail. Actually made some very interesting offers.

• 14 motorrad // Oct 29, 2009 at 10:25 pm

the hotel is coming with or without a bike trail. deal is in the works already.

• 15 motorrad // Oct 29, 2009 at 10:28 pm

put on your spandex and go ride your bike upside down and fall on the tracks you industry hating white collar, suit wearing (figuritively speaking) DB! good god…hatefulness feels surprisingly good…feel the darskside calling…backfire effect at work…ignore facts…progress bar done. c-ya.

• 16 beatrice // Oct 29, 2009 at 10:44 pm

I know, I was kidding. The city of Seattle isn't going to cotton to tourists having to dodge trucks. That whole area will be re-zoned. The trail will eventually go in. So will more retail, pocket parks and condos.

• 17 cdpenne // Oct 30, 2009 at 2:50 am

Thanyou Beatrice,
    I've been trying to make that point all along. I'm afraid SPG takes me for a spokesman for the anti-trail crowd. I'm not, but I can see both sides, and Motorrad is correct- there is a whole lot of ego involved and two very entrenched sides.

• 18 BallardBoy64 // Oct 30, 2009 at 3:46 am

Let's just say the Burke Gilman trail stops at Fred Meyer – then there is no missing link!

• 19 motorrad // Oct 30, 2009 at 6:24 am

Ah Sweet Denial. Except for the fact that the Shirk-Gilman starts again further down and goes to Golden Gardens. Gee, that could be how the missing link got it's name.

• 20 mangomango // Oct 31, 2009 at 12:27 am

Now that event was F U N !!

• 21 LiltingMissive // Nov 2, 2009 at 4:22 am

The whole “taxing cyclists” thing has been discussed a million times on a million forums, threads and barstools.

Sure, let's go for it. My bike weighs 20 lbs, I weigh around 160, and I'm generally carrying between 10 – 30 lbs on my back. So that means my total vehicle weight is around 210 lbs, and since wear and tear on roadways is a function of weight, that's what? a tenth of a mid-size car? Less than that? Make me a license plate, come on over, and I'll give you $8.00 a year for my registration.

• 22 Alex // Mar 15, 2011 at 5:40 am

Yes, it’s fun….

• 23 motorola flipout stylus boxwave // Nov 15, 2014 at 5:53 am

Just want to say your article is as astonishing. The clearness in your post is simply excellent and
    i can assume you are an expert on this subject. Fine with your permission let me to grab your
    RSS feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and
    please carry on the rewarding work.

• 24 star wars xbox 360 console // Nov 17, 2014 at 6:16 pm

Hey there, You’ve done a fantastic job. I’ll certainly digg it and personally recommend to
    my friends. I am sure they’ll be benefited from this website.

• 25 battery powershot sd1000 // Nov 29, 2014 at 11:07 am

At this moment I am ready to do my breakfast,
    after having my breakfast coming again to read more news.

• 26 inch spode christmas sculpted // Nov 30, 2014 at 11:40 am

This is the right web site for anybody who really wants to understand this
    topic. You know so much its almost hard to argue with you (not that I
    actually would want to…HaHa). You certainly put a
    fresh spin on a subject that has been written about for years.

Great stuff, just excellent!

• 27 black geoffrey beene // Dec 1, 2014 at 2:45 pm

I do not know if it’s just me or if perhaps everybody else experiencing issues with your website.
    It appears like some of the text on your posts are running off the
    screen. Can somebody else please provide feedback and let me know if this
    is happening to them too? This could be a issue with my web browser because I’ve
    had this happen previously. Kudos

• 28 compact crystal bluetooth kyocera // Dec 4, 2014 at 9:54 am

You really make it appear so easy along with your presentation however I
    find this matter to be actually something which I feel
    I might by no means understand. It kind of feels too complicated and very wide for me.
    I’m having a look ahead in your next submit, I’ll
    try to get the hang of it!

• 29 devon jones dri // Dec 15, 2014 at 5:21 am

Hi there! This article could not be written much better!
    Going through this article reminds me of my previous roommate!

He continually kept talking about this. I am going to send this information to him.
    Pretty sure he’s going to have a great read.
    Thanks for sharing!

• 30 interracial dating // Jan 8, 2015 at 7:59 am

I used to have a pop-up message when i start firefox to restore last session but now it’s gone. I need it in case i accidentally close something and i want to go back into it. Anybody know how to do it? Thanks..

• 31 satellite tv providers // Jan 9, 2015 at 8:54 am

I’m trying to find out what the most popular blogs are when it comes to news and views and cell phone stuff..

• 32 vintage dress // Jan 10, 2015 at 10:22 am

My wordpress blog with Arras theme shows different on different PC. Perfect on one PC, but wiered on the other?

• 33 exede satellite // Jan 11, 2015 at 10:56 am

I developed a joomla site on my localhost. Now I want to upload it to GoDaddy. How do I do that?

• 34 christian dating website // Jan 12, 2015 at 12:39 pm

Sign up form for Joomla without all the bells and whistles?