Fireworks canceled, no show this Fourth of July

Posted by Geeky Swedes on March 31st, 2010

The annual Fourth of July fireworks extravaganza over Lake Union has been canceled after the organizer was unable to find a title sponsor.

The Elliott Bay show was canceled last year, so this is the first time in 46 years that Seattle will not have a fireworks show on the Fourth. My Wallingford has the story and neighborhood reaction, which as you might imagine, is one of disbelief — as well of concerns that illegal fireworks may take center stage.

Updated: Click here for updated piece on the effort by citizens and businesses to save the annual show.

• 1 super_v // Apr 1, 2010 at 3:57 am

Ahem. Mr. Gates? Mr. Ballmer? Mr. Allen? Mr. McCaw? Mr. Bezos? And the great one in need of redemption: Howard Shultz?

Surely with the great minds and talents in this area something could have been pulled off. Even, gasp, a nominal fee ($5.00 per group paid attendance)? Or someone at least taking the Ivar's road of we're going to put this money toward helping the poor.

I'd like to know more about how One Reel tried to find a new sponsor and why they didn't pitch a story before it was too late.

I guess they can just replay the fireworks show from past years…

• 2 cyclistandSUVdriver // Apr 1, 2010 at 4:02 am

No – it can't be. It just can't be.

Denial is one of the stages of grief, no?

WTF??!!

• 3 ballardgirl19 // Apr 1, 2010 at 4:24 am

So ridiculous! NO FIREWORKS ON 4th of JULY!??! not possible!

• 4 B // Apr 1, 2010 at 4:43 am

With that, Chase Bank would still love to have your business. Even though they pulled the rug from under the firewords from when WAMU sponsored it. Sure Chase has no obligation to do this, but then again, we don't really have an obligation to bank at Chase. Thats just my take on it.

• 5 Alysse M // Apr 1, 2010 at 4:43 am

Sure is close to April 1st.

• 6 dmcmanus // Apr 1, 2010 at 5:08 am

6 days later is the Ballard SeafoodFest. Screw Lake Union!

• 7 pokerguy // Apr 1, 2010 at 5:21 am

and everyone thought America jumped the shark with the health care bill, maybe Seattle is a little to close toe Russia.

• 8 Silver // Apr 1, 2010 at 5:26 am

Alysse M – that was the first thing I thought of, but no – it's still technically March 31st. I think that posting a prank before midnight is illegal or something…

• 9 cyclistandSUVdriver // Apr 1, 2010 at 5:49 am

Chase sucks and so clearly doesn't understand the PNW. Their ad campaign is so poor and ridiculously stupid for this community. I will never give them my business.

• 10 SPG // Apr 1, 2010 at 5:53 am

Nothing like living in a “First Class City”.

• 11 timberlandconst // Apr 1, 2010 at 5:59 am

Since Amazon is taking over Lake Union with 7 new buildings they should be more than open to being a Sponser!! Just my 2 cents

• 12 Melissa // Apr 1, 2010 at 8:25 am

I dont get why this is getting sudden media attention… this was already announced, in like August or something…

• 13 onederfullone // Apr 1, 2010 at 11:52 am

Well, the radical environmental folks should be happy. Talk about tons of carbon, poor air quality, and noise pollution. The PITA folks will be pleased that tens of thousands of pets and other wildlife will experience less fear and stress, better air quality.

Now, if we can just find a way to ground the Blue Angels at Sea Fair, we can totally silence the sounds of freedom.

Truly cause for celebration all the way around for Seattleites. ;-(

• 14 TheRaven // Apr 1, 2010 at 12:17 pm

Ah, civic spirit.

I think Chase has just managed to undo much of the goodwill it was trying to build through advertising.

• 15 TTTCOTTH // Apr 1, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Yes, Chase has pulled the rug out from under our constitutionally protected right to fun paid for by someone else.

It's for the children

If you don't fund this grandma will die

It will increase homelessness

• 16 pling // Apr 1, 2010 at 2:09 pm

now you are talking! i'm with you – the blue noise-makers are LAME.

• 17 Barfly // Apr 1, 2010 at 2:42 pm

This city is getting so dull….next they'll get rid of the hydro races (too much CO2!) and Blue Angels (we hate the military!).

• 18 Paulina // Apr 1, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Dude, the “Sound of Freedom” should stay north of Oak Harbor, where it belongs, where everyone eventually gets used to it.

• 19 sweetrose // Apr 1, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Best you find a new 'hot' city huh

• 20 NoraBell // Apr 1, 2010 at 3:21 pm

Great, so there will likely be more idiots out there blowing off illegal fireworks. Tell ya what, guys, blow 'em off in the Chase parking lot this year.

• 21 Barfly // Apr 1, 2010 at 4:04 pm

New? I just want Seattle to keep it's old traditions alive and not succumb to mindless, enviro-conformity.

You need to learn to read better Maria, you contradict yourself everytime you type.

• 22 Barfly // Apr 1, 2010 at 4:13 pm

I guess it's off to the reservation for a DIY July 4th here in Ballard….who's coming?!

• 23 sdmccain // Apr 1, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Hmm…we've got a lot of subsidized sports teams around here (to remain nameless) that probably could get together and afford to sponsor this.

• 24 Barney Stinson // Apr 1, 2010 at 4:37 pm

That is incorrect. You are thinking of the moron who sued to try and stop last years show.

• 25 Silver // Apr 1, 2010 at 4:39 pm

NOW yer talkin'!

• 26 Barney Stinson // Apr 1, 2010 at 4:39 pm

So its ok to subsidize business so long as its not sports?

You aren't very bright are you?

• 27 Name // Apr 1, 2010 at 4:45 pm

I'm with Alysse M. I suspect an “April Fools!” is on its way…

• 28 Edog // Apr 1, 2010 at 5:09 pm

April Fools or no, I doubt this will stop all the drunks from showing up at gas works and puking in to the wee hours of July 5th …

Cause,

I Wanna Rock and Roll All Night
    And Party…..

• 29 zipper // Apr 1, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Actually, Chase did tell One Reel last year that it was the last time they would sponsor it, so she is partially right. One Reel has been looking for ONE sponsor, and no one individual or company would pony up. Too bad they didn't re-think the funding model last year when they had the chance to switch it to include lots of sponsors, not one single “banner” sponsor.

That being said, Amazon and Vulcan have a huge SLU presence, maybe Paul Allen and Jeff Bezos will do a “Hail Mary” with their personal checkbooks. Maybe.

• 30 bedby10 // Apr 1, 2010 at 5:55 pm

DIY
    Now that is a Ballard Tradition. At least in my neck of the woods it all starts the weekend before and continues on for a while. The night of the 4th it is easy to get a good show right from the front porch.
    I don't really care either way, because my freedom is based on more than Fireworks.

• 31 sdmccain // Apr 1, 2010 at 6:31 pm

Wow, Barney…it's amazing how well you can read my mind.

Your comment is not worth replying to.

• 32 cyclistandSUVdriver // Apr 2, 2010 at 3:38 am

I have always loved the Blue Angels! But a VA therapist I know said their appearance can be very traumatic for veterans, for whom that sound means danger and death. Just a perspective worth considering that I wouldn't have thought about before.

• 33 Stupid Hippie // Apr 2, 2010 at 2:26 pm

The Blue Angels make me and my shi-tzu nervous …please stop them!