New Henry mural pops up along 8th Ave overnight

Posted by Geeky Swedes on July 29th, 2010

Ryan “Henry” Ward was up late last night painting a mural along 8th Ave NW.

Our sister site, PhinneyWood.com received this email from one of their readers:

“Henry” painted a middle-of-the-night mural (three enormous walruses riding three tiny bicycles) last night on the west side of 8th NW, between 65th and 67th. It was formerly a different Henry mural (one with lots of eyeballs) that had been painted-over black about a week ago. Then last night, I saw him out there with spotlights, and this morning the new mural is done.

• 1 philly mom // Jul 29, 2010 at 3:12 pm

I love his work and he is a talented artist brightening up our world. Yea “Henry” will he do my sturdy little mountain bike?

• 2 msballard30 // Jul 29, 2010 at 3:14 pm

I love his work! It never ceases to make me smile and to make me happy, especially when it pops up unexpectedly as I’m driving by one of his murals.

• 3 Kelly // Jul 29, 2010 at 3:16 pm

Saw them painting too–around 11 they were there with a huge “Henry” bus and a “Henry” station wagon next to it. Almost tempted to buy a junky van so could have Henry paint it!

• 4 djdamiend // Jul 29, 2010 at 3:24 pm

I love seeing the Henry art.

• 5 Mwolf // Jul 29, 2010 at 3:29 pm

I’m SO over Henry art!!! Enough already!

• 6 Foghorn Leghorn // Jul 29, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Ah call this one “Ride of the Stoned Walruses”

• 7 59thandblake // Jul 29, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Koo Koo Ka Choo!

• 8 billygoat // Jul 29, 2010 at 4:06 pm

• 9 stussy // Jul 29, 2010 at 4:25 pm

“Henry is the antidote to the condofication of Ballard and surrounding environs. You go Henry!”

most hilarious thing I’ve read all day.
    Enough Henry in Ballard already. go hit up another neighborhood.

• 10 Ed // Jul 29, 2010 at 5:04 pm

I like Henry’s work, but I’m starting to get to much of a good thing. None-the-less, I like this latest one.

• 11 PFC // Jul 29, 2010 at 5:09 pm

Yay! When I saw the old mural painted over, I was afraid the grafitti artists had won! I’m pleased to see something fun return here. Thanks for loving this space enough to contribute to it!

• 12 Debbie // Jul 29, 2010 at 7:05 pm

I too agree that the Henry’s are much nicer to look at than graffiti. Free public art, such a deal.

• 13 billygoat // Jul 29, 2010 at 9:26 pm

Henrylard or Ballenry….hmmm, such are the problems of Seattle.

• 14 WTF // Jul 29, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Dont show the pictures, it will only encourage them to do more!!!

• 15 ballardmike // Jul 30, 2010 at 12:11 am

If’n ya don’t like it don’ look at it!

Nice Job H! =]

• 16 DC // Jul 30, 2010 at 8:35 am

Love it! More Henry, plz!

• 17 AW // Jul 30, 2010 at 9:47 am

It’s not the style of art that I’d want in my house, but I think it’s delightful to have around the neighborhood. I say that the naysayers should find something else to complain about.

I think it’s great to live in “Henry ‘Hood”!!

• 18 Alexis // Jul 30, 2010 at 10:12 am

Does Henry get permission from neighborhoods to paint these murals? Is he hired? I am genuinely curious.

My favorite mural is on the side of the Value Village on Market.

• 19 SPG // Jul 30, 2010 at 10:18 am

He is hired and so obviously has permission. That’s one of the key differences between a mural and graffiti.

• 20 yep // Jul 30, 2010 at 10:46 am

looks like it was done at night… in the dark.

• 21 YL // Jul 30, 2010 at 11:21 am

If you want to see him do a live painting and listen to some music, he has been painting with “Paint by Music” at the Ballard Community Center on Tuesdays at 6:30ish. Last week there were 4 artist and 1 musician and free hot dogs. Even the kids got to do a little painting last time…..

• 22 robotspider // Jul 30, 2010 at 11:29 am

Dear Henry,

Ballard <3 you.

Sincerely,
    Ballard

• 23 TeaS // Jul 30, 2010 at 11:55 am

I’m pretty sure he redid this since there was graffiti all over the previous mural. (It had been that way for about a week or so) It was a bummer to see it tagged. Much improved now that it has been repainted.

• 24 Tiktok // Jul 30, 2010 at 11:59 am

The property owner also replaced a segment of the east/west fence, which required removal of some of the old mural.

Henry murals are infinitely preferable to sun-bleached boards and tagging.

• 25 yep // Jul 31, 2010 at 7:00 am

maybe tagging, but I really like sun-bleached boards.

in fact, that’s my main complaint with his artwork–he doesn’t leave enough ‘white space’ but feels like he needs to paint every surface.

• 26 petsfriend // Jul 31, 2010 at 7:25 am

My little daughter can already spot a “Henry” and will say so and point from the back seat. Thanks Henry for introducing her to real life art.

• 27 gts206 // Jul 31, 2010 at 10:13 am

My favorite mural is still the red wrench on the side of Crown Hill Hardware

• 28 Barney Stinson // Aug 2, 2010 at 10:17 am

Dear Henry,

Your art sucks. Enough with the stoned animals already.

Also, stop being a blowhard. Your painter signature should not be the first thing people see when they look at your painting.

Stop polluting my neighborhood with your nonsense.

Regards,

Barney

• 29 Seattleartistwife // Aug 3, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Drive through other major metropolitan cities in this country, and you see imagination prodding and inspirational murals by local artists.
    It’s kind of sad how Seattle has chosen to turn it’s back on the very rich community of artists who live and work here, and don’t happen to paint simplistic children’s murals.

There are artists in this city who could really give our neighborhoods some beautiful work. Instead, everytime I drive through Ballard, and it’s surrounding areas, I have to feel like I am driving through a simplistic children’s book. Maybe we could try challenging our kids’ imaginations for a change! Other images can be fun and exciting to look at besides walrus’ riding bicycles.

I have to put out a thank you to Seattle, for commissioning Todd Lown for the 46th St. mural project. It looks like it will be a really dynamic, colorful and day brightening mural to look at on the way to Fremont.

And Mr. Henry, keep on painting, but please, grow a little, leave something to our imaginations, stop spoon feeding it! Even kids are smarter than unicorns with uneven eyeballs.

Thanks,
    Seattle artist’s wife

• 30 Iam2weety2 // Aug 13, 2010 at 11:34 pm

This guy's work is a blight on the neighborhood! Stop It Now!

• 31 Leroy707 // Mar 11, 2011 at 2:20 am

It would be nice if he would limit his guerilla art to his neighborhood and stay out of other artist neighborhoods. I for one know Georgetown doesn’t appreciate his antics.