Scouts continue tradition of selling Christmas trees

Posted by Geeky Swedes on November 30th, 2010

For nearly 60 years, Boy Scout Troop 100 has been selling trees in Ballard.

The scouts are once again set up in the parking lot of St. Alphonsus Church (at the corner of NW 57th and 15th Ave NW). Selling Christmas trees is the only fundraiser for this troop. The trees are hand-picked by some of the troop’s fathers and sons. “Community service plays an important part in building character, and these boys regularly volunteer their time and efforts to make positive contributions to the Ballard community,” Ann Wicker, a Boy Scout mom, tells us. “These remarkable young men give back to Ballard with pride and enthusiasm!”

This week the tree lot is open from noon until 9 p.m., starting on Saturday the lot will be open from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. until December 19th, unless they sell out of trees early.

• 1 Barfly // Nov 30, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Great kids, great program.

• 2 Rudy // Nov 30, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Great trees! Haven’t had a bad one yet.

• 3 Ballardite // Nov 30, 2010 at 5:57 pm

The amazing confidence and poise of these boys is so heartwarming that I always go back. Their prices are a bit higher than some of the other lots but it is totally worth it.

• 4 Rob Graham // Nov 30, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Nice timing. I was just thinking today that I need to go get my tree.

• 5 Anonymous // Nov 30, 2010 at 8:44 pm

Does anyone know what this troop’s stance is on homosexuality and allowing those who might be gay into their Troop? I have the impression that tolerance levels vary by Troop and may be more lenient in liberal Seattle. I would like to support them but I would like to know if their values are in line with my own on this topic as it’s an important one for me. Otherwise I’ll just skip the controversy and go to Top Banana.

May seem silly to some to put so much meaning into buying a Christmas Tree, but we’ll likely be starting a long tradition by deciding where to get our first Ballard Christmas Tree and I want to start off with a choice I’m the most comfortable with. Just like I’m opting to “shop local” for gifts, it matters who I get certain symbolic things from. I can be weird that way.

FWIW, I think it’s neat they’ve been doing this for 60 years, regardless of their philosophy.

(Please note that this post has no judgment one way or another about their stance on this matter, I would just like to know for personal reasons if we are in sync)

• 6 BTown // Nov 30, 2010 at 9:02 pm

I was expecting a bunch of anti x-mas tree posts. :D Maybe the trolls come out later. :D

• 7 SEdholm // Nov 30, 2010 at 9:07 pm

I think troops are more tolerant in Seattle, but you can run into tolerance and intolerance from troop to troop too. As an Atheist in scouts, my troop never brought up religion really. We said our pledge, met in a church and they asked for chaplain volunteers, but that is all we had with religion. The once a year I went out of our troop for badges, I got bombarded and had to lie and said my religion was private and my family believed, but just wanted it a private belief. So it can be hit or miss. They may not have an official stance on it as a troop as it isn’t supposed to be tolerated as the Boy Scouts are run by religion. So I think it is a lot like Atheism in scouts, it can survive and be tolerated in a troop, but they are hush hush on it.

• 8 Anonymous // Nov 30, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Good to know, thank you for your thoughtful response.

• 9 gobigblue // Nov 30, 2010 at 11:22 pm

thanks for bringing this up. i can’t speak for this troop, but the national organization firmly believes in keeping gays out and has fought their right to do so all the way to the u.s. supreme court. disgraceful

• 10 Tominator5 // Dec 1, 2010 at 2:12 am

I’ve been buying my trees from this boy scout group for over 20 years – the scouts come and go. But I must say, each year I am greeted with respect, tree knowledge, a strong back and an excellent attitude. And a pretty darn good tree too.

• 11 Anonymous // Dec 1, 2010 at 2:19 am

My exchange with a very young and very serious saleskid last December:

“What’s the difference between these two trees?”
    “Well sir, this one is a good choice if you were to, uh, want to hang ornaments or such on it.”
    “Sold. I’ll take it.”

I’ll be swinging by this week to get a tree.

• 12 FormerBallardRes // Dec 1, 2010 at 5:19 am

Recently moved away from the neighborhood and purchased a tree in our new community. Otherwise, would be there in a heartbeat. Great kids, great trees, and a great program. Hang in there, scouts.

• 13 Guest // Dec 1, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Here’s an idea for your “wilderness girl”…. pay the $10 for a tree permit from the forrest service and cut one down yourself.

• 14 Guest // Dec 1, 2010 at 4:55 pm

I see a bit of irony here. Christmas itself is a Christian holiday, and I think we all know Christianity’s stance on homosexuality.

• 15 ElTrain // Dec 1, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Just bought my tree there last night! Beautiful grand fir. The young man tending the lot was very knowledgeable. I always buy my tree here. It’s about $10 more than if you get one from Freddy’s or Home Depot, but I like keeping my dollars in the community and think that their trees are much fresher.

I do have to say that the National Council’s stance on gays is despicable, however, I feel able to differentiate between some local Ballard boys working hard on their characters and the National Council that oversees them. A boycott would sort of be like a Canadian not buying American goods because they disagree with the US government…

• 16 Lalala // Dec 1, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Top Banana. That’s funny given the topic.

• 17 Anonymous // Dec 1, 2010 at 10:35 pm

I actually did that when I lived on several acres in Snohomish and had a suitable one on my property. This year however, at six months pregnant, “shopping local” is a more reasonable option. Would be fun to do with WildernessSkipper some day I imagine.