Happy Syttende Mai!

Posted by Meghan Walker on May 17th, 2012

It’s a big day in Ballard, and Norwegian pride will be running strong with activities all day long, culminating in the annual Syttende Mai (17th of May) parade through the heart of Ballard from 6 to 8 p.m. And, some trivia for you: the Syttende Mai celebrations have been taking place in our state since the year our state was admitted to the union in 1889.

Here is a list of the events:

10 a.m. – 2 p.m.: Nordic Heritage Museum: Enjoy kids games and free admission to the NHM all day; Nordic Cafe will be selling Scandinavian treats, and fjord horses will be on site.

Noon – 2 p.m.: Luncheon at Leif Erikson Hall (2245 NW 57th St.) Tickets $30, call (206) 783-1274

2 – 5 p.m.: Bergen Place Park. On-going live, free entertainment.

3 – 5 p.m.: Open House and Cafe at Leif Erickson Hall. Food, beverages, wine and beer available for purchase. Local Scandinavian organizations will have promotional material about their groups.

5 – 9 p.m.: Syttende Gay at BalMar. Combining Seattle’s Scandinavian GLBT community and the annual Syttende Mai celebration, Syttende Gay is celebrated at BalMar (5449 Ballard Ave NW). From BalMar: “The beneficiary non-profit will be Washington United For Marriage. This year’s optional theme is Russ which is a yearly grad tradition in Norway during 17th of May. A Mardi-Gras like celebration with a youthful vibe, Russ-wear is red or blue bib overalls with sewn flags and zany accessories.”

6 – 8 p.m: The Syttende Mai Parade. The parade starts at Adams Elementary at NW 62nd and 24th Ave NW, goes south to Market Street, east to Bergen Place Park, turns down 22nd Ave NW and continues south on Ballard Ave NW to Dock Street. Parking can be difficult, so arrive early.

For more info on the event, visit the 17th of May website.

• 1 coupondekho // Oct 20, 2014 at 5:42 am

Incredibly enlightening and applicable things. I accept you on this issue.

• 2 Clifton Spurger // Oct 20, 2014 at 9:22 am

Hey would you mind sharing which blog platform you’re working with? I’m planning to start my own blog soon but I’m having a tough time deciding between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design and style seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something completely unique. P.S My apologies for being off-topic but I had to ask!

• 3 Eliseo Sprake // Oct 20, 2014 at 9:28 am

Zune and iPod: Most people compare the Zune to the Touch, but after seeing how slim and surprisingly small and light it is, I consider it to be a rather unique hybrid that combines qualities of both the Touch and the Nano. It’s very colorful and lovely OLED screen is slightly smaller than the touch screen, but the player itself feels quite a bit smaller and lighter. It weighs about 2/3 as much, and is noticeably smaller in width and height, while being just a hair thicker.

• 4 article // Oct 21, 2014 at 4:59 pm

I just want to say I am beginner to blogs and honestly loved you’re website. Very likely I’m going to bookmark your blog . You definitely have wonderful well written articles. Thanks a lot for sharing with us your web-site.

• 5 Fausto Giottonini // Oct 22, 2014 at 10:11 am

324565 185504Enjoyed reading this, very good stuff, appreciate it. 224836

• 6 Adolfo Lavey // Oct 22, 2014 at 7:06 pm

Thanks for your tips. One thing I’ve noticed is that often banks in addition to financial institutions have in mind the spending practices of consumers and as well understand that most people max outside their credit cards around the trips. They properly take advantage of that fact and start flooding your own inbox as well as snail-mail box along with hundreds of Zero APR credit card offers right after the holiday season concludes. Knowing that if you are like 98% of the American general public, you’ll rush at the possiblity to consolidate consumer credit card debt and switch balances towards 0 APR credit cards.

• 7 go to page // Oct 22, 2014 at 9:10 pm